Franken-Pantry III

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Dee, that was a brilliant application of the Franken-Pantry ingredients and it really looks good! Gosh, we have alot of creative and talented people here!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hey Dee, besides being Purple (I guess that's purple?), how are Greek Olives different from Green or Black Olives?

Deelady

I dont really know how to explain it in flavor.....maybe more vinegary or more tart....really hard to explain. Maybe someone else can help...?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
First of all, I think they are a different variety of olive, usually kalamata olives, which are smaller and more narrow in shape. They are also brined, which makes them saltier. And they are usually softer than a black or green olive. Those are my guesses - there are probably some olive experts here who can tell you more.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks! I guess I'll have to try to find some. If they are more vinegary, then that is right up my alley! I love vinegar!!

Deelady

youve never had Greek food anywhere at all Keltin? Man you are missing out!! You'd be hard pressed to find any greek dish served any where that did not at least serve one or two olives on the side. I often ask for extra!! :D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
youve never had Greek food anywhere at all Keltin? Man you are missing out!! You'd be hard pressed to find any greek dish served any where that did not at least serve one or two olives on the side. I often ask for extra!! :D

Sadly, not yet. There is a store down the street owned and operated by a Greek family, and they serve Gyros and Baklava, but that's it for now. They've given me recipes for Greek Potatoes and Lamb Steaks, both of which I cooked, but neither had Greek Olives. They are currently expanding to add a Deli, so I should be able to get some authenthic Greek food soon! I'll ask for extra olives!! :thumb:

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Keltin, don't you have a Publix nearby? They carry a couple brands. You'll see it spelled both Calamata and Kalamata, depending on the brand. Look on the top shelf, right above the green and black olives. I've only seen them in a tall jar, never in a can.

Definitely give them a try.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, don't you have a Publix nearby? They carry a couple brands. You'll see it spelled both Calamata and Kalamata, depending on the brand. Look on the top shelf, right above the green and black olives. I've only seen them in a tall jar, never in a can.

Definitely give them a try.

Thanks! Yeah, there is a Publix just a few miles up the road. I've never looked for these though. Are they labeled as "Greek Olives" or just Calamata and Kalamata? I'll look for them!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Got ‘em! DW had to run to town for some stuff and she hit Publix for me.

You’re right, they weren’t labeled as Greek, just Calamata. So you need to know what you’re looking for. I’d never had known without the help from you guys. Thanks!!

I ate one straight, and it’s a bit salty, but the vinegar twang is there.

So, I have them. Got to figure out what to do next beside a salad! :lol:

Thanks for turning me onto to something new! :clap:

Attachments

• step1.JPG
    step1.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 141

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Now that you've tried them, you'll get hooked! But know that all kalamatas are not created equal. Do you have a Whole Foods anywhere near you? They have an olive bar that will knock your socks of! Wegmans in the northeast also has them. I'm not sure where else, but others here may know.

If you get anywhere near one, give it a try. You'll go way beyond just black, green, calamata. Here's a link that explains the difference in just a few varieties.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Tapinade is like a spread or a topping for crackers or crisp bread.

Different flavors, but concept is like bruscetta.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Now that you've tried them, you'll get hooked! But know that all kalamatas are not created equal. Do you have a Whole Foods anywhere near you? They have an olive bar that will knock your socks of! Wegmans in the northeast also has them. I'm not sure where else, but others here may know.

If you get anywhere near one, give it a try. You'll go way beyond just black, green, calamata. Here's a link that explains the difference in just a few varieties.

Wow, I wish we had a Whole Foods here. It looks like such a great place (from what I have seen on the net and cooking channels), but no dice. Maybe oneday.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin said:
Wow, I wish we had a Whole Foods here.

Don't feel bad, Keltin. We don't have one, either. But you probably stand a better chance of getting one than we do. I used to shop at the one in Portland before we moved. The produce section was a work of art. Wonderful place. A little spendy.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I love Whole Foods salad bar!! They have such good stuff!! I love the Greek wheat berry salad, chicken wings, noodle salad etc!! YUMMY!! BUT the prices are up there.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
They have one in Birmingham and one in Memphis. You really ought to take an afternoon drive to one of them. It's well worth the trip. You can spend hours there just looking around and then you can have lunch there.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh wow, mhend that looks incredible. I'm gonna have to look for that cheese.

Karen, that looks really good! The color on both the chicken and the artichoke are beautiful!

Dee, I see why DH wanted you to wait to make that so that he could have some too!

Deelady

Thanks Mama :)

Keltin I love calamata olives in pasta or rice dishes with feta cheese and anything else you want to throw in...also if you end up making a tapenade try rolling it into or stuffing it into a chicken breast or use the tapenade as a crust for sea bass....YUM!!