Franken-Pantry III

K

Kimchee

I think lets stick with non-fresh potatoes. Flakes, dust, dried, but not fresh, just to be different. :)
mean, huh?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
So when you say bread, are you referring to any kind of bread or just plain loaf bread?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Mama, I mean any bread at all!

Franken-Pantry III

1. Bread
2. Spinach
3. Butter
4. Chicken
5. Artichokes
6. Garlic
7. Onions
8. Cheese
9. Instant Potato Flakes (Restricted)
10. Olives

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
belaine, at this point, the pantry is closed. Each week, 10 items are picked by 10 different users/posters/members. From that list, and only from that list, we are challenged to create something. I already see stuffed artichokes from the list of ingredients. Or a savoury spinach dish...

Next week, when Keltin begins the new pantry, please mention those anchovies..please!! I'll say butter or lemon or garlic...or something that goes well with them, promise!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Vera Blue, thanks for letting me know, I'm new at this thing :)

Welcome aboard Belain!!! Jump right in and challenge yourself to cook from the Pantry. It's rather fun, and it often teaches us valuable lessons.

And it's fun! :lol:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Welcome belaine! I hope you join in and play the Franken-Pantry.

Here's what I came up with last night. Part of it was a bust, but part of it was wonderful.

AlouetteArtichokeStuffedBread.jpg

The bust was the dressing for the spinach. I tried to make a dressing out of pimiento stuffed olives, garlic, and evoo (processed in a small food processor). It was wayyyy too salty, and I wished that I hadn't put it on the spinach :(.

The chicken was pretty good. I used the bread that I dug out of the center of a loaf of French bread, toasted it, and then put it in the food processor to make crumbs. I dredged chicken tenders (that I had pounded to an even thickness) in melted butter and crumbs, and then cooked them in a non-stick skillet. They were a little bland. I wish that I had added a little shredded parmesan to the crumbs before coating.

The bread, however, was terrific. I took a part of a loaf of French bread, hollowed out the center, and stuffed it with a mixture of garlic and herbs Allouette cheese, a four cheese blend (provolone, parmesan, asiago, romano), and chopped artichoke hearts. I baked it until the filling was warm, topped it with more of the four cheese blend, and then browned it under the broiler. Rich, gooey, deliciousness......I loved it!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
:w00t:

That is outstanding Cooksie! Simply stunning!!! What a fantastic use of the Pantry!!

Was the dressing too salty because of the olives? I wonder if mashing them lightly and then washing would help?

But......just looking at it.......it looks divine!!!! :clap::thumb:

Cooksie

Site Supporter

That is outstanding Cooksie! Simply stunning!!! What a fantastic use of the Pantry!!

Was the dressing too salty because of the olives? I wonder if mashing them lightly and then washing would help?

But......just looking at it.......it looks divine!!!! :clap::thumb:

It was definitely the olives. Never thought about rinsing them :bonk:.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Wow, Cooksie...setting the bar a little high aren't you:ohmy:? You deserve some sort of award for that. :applause:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Cooksie, that looks really special - congratulations! The chicken looks really beautiful, and the bread was truly inspired. Great job!

mhend

Looks wonderful Cooksie! Love the breading on the chicken and that cheesy bread is calling my name! :lol:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've got something in mind that I'll be trying here shortly. Amazing how the FP pushes you to try things you've never done!

Oh, and when Franken-Pantry IV rolls out this coming Sunday, we're going to have a new and (I think) rather welcome change/addition! Dun-dun-dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! :lol:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I have something planned for tomorrow as well...poor Jerry. He's going to have to eat artichokes.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay. This actually turned out pretty well. It kind of evolved as I made it. So, here's what I did:

I sauteed some onion and garlic in a little butter until the onions were soft. i added a little more butter and some crumbled up onion buns. I then wilted some spinach and added some Parmesan cheese.

I seasoned a B/S chicken breast with salt and pepper and browned it in a little Olive Oil. I topped the chicken breast and spinach "dressing" with a little shredded mozzarella cheese.

I made a sauce in the same pan that I browned the chicken in using some canned artichoke hearts that I pureed with some water and a little butter. I cooked them down a little, turned off the heat and added some cream cheese and a little more Parmesan Cheese.

The first pic is of the dressing before I added the Parmesan Cheese. The second pic is after the Parm and the 3rd pic is the finished product.

Attachments

• FPIII-1.jpg
    FPIII-1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 157
  • FPIII-2.jpg
    FPIII-2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 152
  • FPIII.jpg
    FPIII.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 154

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

MAMA! You're killing me! That looks superb! :applause:

Man, you guys are knocking it out the park! Such talent and creative use of what FP had to offer! I'm amazed!! :clap:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mama, I am so impressed. I would have never thought to use the bread in that way, and it looks delicious. Great job, and beautiful photography as always.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Karen. The finished product actually looks nothing like what I originally intended to make :lol:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Spinach Pesto & Chicken French Bread Pizza

For this, I made a pesto sauce from Baby Spinach, Black Olives, Garlic, Parmesan cheese, and Olive oil.

I took 1 B/S chicken breast and cut it into small pieces and sautéed it in some oil. I removed the chicken and then sweated some onions in the same pan. I set the chicken and onions off to the side.

I then took a fresh loaf of French Bread and cut off a section for two French Bread Pizzas.

I first topped the French Bread with the spinach pesto and sprinkled that with Parmesan Cheese. I then added onions for me (but not DW). Then the chicken and sliced black olives. Finally, mounds of cheese and baked at 350 till the cheese was melted and bubbly.

The bread DW picked up for this was AWESOME! She got it baked fresh at Publix, and it says it is “Authentic Cuban Bread”. I don’t know what the means as it looked like a loaf of French Bread to me. The inside was soft and had air bubbles meaning gaps in the flesh, and the outside was crusty.

After baking, this is hands down the best bread for French Bread Pizza I have ever had!! The middle was just a shade right of soft, and the outside was perfectly crispy and crunchy. I’ve never had a better loaf for French Bread Pizza.

After baking, the Pesto Sauce got a bit mild, and the garlic was hard to taste, so I’d say go heavy on garlic if you ever make this. I used 1.5 Tbsp of minced garlic, but 3 Tbsp would have been nice.

Overall, we really enjoyed it and were surprised. A pesto based pizza is not something we’d normally try, but it was really good.

To be honest, I’m dying to take the rest of that bread and make some tomato sauce based French Bread Pizzas!! The bread was mind blowing in this recipe! :lol:

step1-82.jpg

step2-76.jpg

step3-69.jpg

step4-54.jpg

step5-45.jpg

step6-34.jpg

step7-28.jpg

step8-21.jpg

step9-14.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! I didn't even think about making a pesto :applause: and your plating and pic are perfect!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Great idea on the Franken-Dressing, Mama! And I know I'd love that artichoke/cream cheese sauce. It all looks deeeelicious.

Making the pesto was also a great idea, Keltin. Your pizza also looks deeelicious.

Kudos to both of you for your creativity.