NCT Cooks Challenge Week 6 June 7 - 14 BREAD!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
1. (and in no particular order, either, just number 1 because someone has to be...) stuffed, filled or layered pasta.
2. Pasta (unstuffed, filled or otherwise layered)
3. Chicken
4. Duck
5. Turkey
6. Fowl (yeah, you can also do one for the previous three)
7. Fish - with scales and fins
8. Shellfish and things that live in shells
9. Something from the ocean/pond/lake/stream/river/puddle
10. Cow
11. Pig
12. Ground Cow
13. Smoked Pig
14. Eggs
15. Cream
16. Your favourite spice
17. Your favourite herb
18 Breakfast
19. Salad
20. Soup (cream or broth type, but not stew, cause..hey, we need a bigger list)
21. Stew
22. Italian
23. French
24. Middle Eastern
25. Chinese
26. Mexican
27 BBQ/Grill/Smoker
28. Pain/Bread/Manna
29. Seasonal vegetable of your choice (must be 'in' season)
30. Family Favourite
31. Dessert

And the winner for NCT Cook's Challenge is #28 - Pain/Bread/Manna:applause:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I Mama's think the tomato basil bread can also be applied to this thread.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Do we have to make bread, or use bread in the recipe?

Lol--You don't want me to make bread. I interpret it as either making bread or using bread in some way in a dish. Could be pizza dough, I suppose, or even just using a pita pocket.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Good question, SS.....I'm all for a free interpretation here, if no one minds.. Make, bake, or utilize bread or dough.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Re: NCT Cook's Challenge Week 5 "Seasonal June" May 31-June 7

Here's the pizza on the grill. I used Peter Reinhart's recipe for grilled pizza dough from his book, American Pie. It was the best pizza I've ever made. And the dough was so easy to work with! It just wanted to be shaped into a pizza.

For the toppings, it was an almost Pizza Margherita. It had the traditional mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, and basil. But I added some extra cheeses. I had a bit of Pecorino Romano, Parmigiano Reggiano, Asiago, and Provolone.

The crust was thin. The high heat of the grill charred it beautifully. The simple toppings were perfect. Can you all tell I was happy with it?

Attachments

• grilled pizza 001.jpg
    grilled pizza 001.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 197
  • grilled pizza 004.jpg
    grilled pizza 004.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 195
  • grilled pizza 006.jpg
    grilled pizza 006.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 229
  • grilled pizza 008.jpg
    grilled pizza 008.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Here's the pizza on the grill. I used Peter Reinhart's recipe for grilled pizza dough from his book, American Pie. It was the best pizza I've ever made. And the dough was so easy to work with! It just wanted to be shaped into a pizza.

For the toppings, it was an almost Pizza Margherita. It had the traditional mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, and basil. But I added some extra cheeses. I had a bit of Pecorino Romano, Parmigiano Reggiano, Asiago, and Provolone.

The crust was thin. The high heat of the grill charred it beautifully. The simple toppings were perfect. Can you all tell I was happy with it?
Another awesome entry SS.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Not sure if this belongs here, because this competition started while I was on hiatus and I don't know the rules, but I did make some yummy calzones today, using my own Italian bread recipe. I know, I should have cut one open, but I'm taking them over to my friend Lisa's house and I didn't think they would appreciate my cutting them up. They are filled with Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, garlic, olives, and some fresh Oaxacan cheese made by my neighbor Ricardo. Anyway, here they are:

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 194

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Not sure if this belongs here, because this competition started while I was on hiatus and I don't know the rules, but I did make some yummy calzones today, using my own Italian bread recipe. I know, I should have cut one open, but I'm taking them over to my friend Lisa's house and I didn't think they would appreciate my cutting them up. They are filled with Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, garlic, olives, and some fresh Oaxacan cheese made by my neighbor Ricardo. Anyway, here they are:

Holy Cow! Those look incredible!! Awesome job!!!! :clap:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh thanks, Keltin. :blush: I was worried someone would ask how I KNEW they were yummy if I hadn't cut into one...well, one of them was sorta not perfect-looking, so I tasted it, and then I gobbled it up. THEN, I thought - "gee, I shoulda took a picture!" Too late.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
There are no rules, and no single winner, Karen. We all win!

We have all week, actually 8 days, to make something using and showcasing the selected ingredient. It started as a take off of the Iron Chef on t.v., and we've been doing it over a year now.

You can participate in the weeks you have time, and skip the weeks when you have a real life.:whistling:

The idea is to challenge ourselves to do something special with the week's ingredient, then post a picture and a recipe.

BTW, those calzones look wonderful! Do you have a recipe to share?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
OK, sounds like good fun! I didn't really use a recipe for the filling, but for the bread, I used this recipe. This is about the only bread recipe I use - it makes a soft, dense loaf that is great for sandwiches, and sometimes I just make smaller baguettes.

Rustic Italian Bread
Prep time: 10 minutes
(ready in 3 hours)
Makes two loaves

2 Cups water heated to 115-120F (feels warm, but not hot)
6 Tablespoons olive oil
6 Cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 tsp instant yeast
cornmeal (I don't use the cornmeal, I line the pan with parchment instead)
1 egg, beaten with fork in small bowl
Softened butter

Directions*:
Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In
large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast; mix
well. Add warm water and oil; mix well. Turn dough out
onto lightly-floured surface. Knead dough 10 minutes
or until smooth. Place dough in lightly-greased bowl;
cover with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in
warm place (80 to 85 F) for 30 to 40 minutes.

Sprinkle ungreased cookie sheet with cornmeal. Punch
down dough. Cover dough with inverted bowl and allow
to rest on counter for 15 minutes. Shape dough into
baguette-shaped loaves about 12 inches long. Place dough
on cornmeal-coated cookie sheet. Cover; let rise in
warm place for 35 to 40 minutes or until doubled in
size.

Heat oven to 350 F. With sharp knife, make 1 deep
lengthwise slash in top of loaf. Brush loaf with beaten egg. Bake at 375F for 25 to 35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. For softer crust, brush or rub finished loaves with butter.

*If using KitchenAid stand mixer, combine dry ingredients on speed 1, add liquid/oil, then knead for eight minutes on speed 2. Add more flour if dough is too sticky, a TBS at a time.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Vera - and thanks for the karma. You are amazing - with so much to do, you are still tending your flock here, right up to the last minute!

Meme4251

Very nice lookin calzones Karen....I do have to say, like a idiot, thought they were fried pies which we make down here in Tx.....LOL!!!! Have to say I have never even heard much less tasted them but I do agree, they look pretty yummy.......

LT, my mother would be in "hog-heaven" w/that bread pudding! She made that often when we were gowing up but I never really developed a taste....Looks pretty tasty I have to agree.................Meme/sh:applause:To you Karen and LT. Have a Wonderful Week....................

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
..........just your basic old-fashioned lemon sauce.....

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. water 1 large egg (beaten)
3TBL fresh lemon juice
zest of one lemon
Combined and cooked to the boil.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SS, Karen, and Lucky - those are all truly beautiful and inspired entries!!!

GREAT job!!!

Lee

Deelady

Thanks but thats because I didnt show you the inside!! LOL ;) OH well next time I know to not be deceived on the outside and to cook it for the full time, if not a little more!!