NCT's Iron Chef #50 Okra.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
This weeks chalange is -
b7mbg2.jpg

As with the other ICs, this is a challenge to ourselves. There is no judging, and no winner. We are ALL winners in this since we will all benefit from the creativity and new recipes that this challenge will bring us.

The rules are simple, this challenge is open for 7 days (week of 4/18/10 - 4/24/10). During that 7 day period, make any kind of dish you want, however you want. Drink, Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert, etc. The only stipulations are that you must use Okra in some way in the dish, and it must be something you have cooked during the 7 day period of this challenge.

Once your dish is ready, it’s a good idea to make a new post with your recipe. Then, post a link and a picture of your recipe to this thread. Alternatively, if you like, post your recipe and pictures here. In the end, we will compile all the results into one thread for easy searching.

Now, let Battle Okra begin!

Oh man - you're killing me. I LOVE okra & cook with it a LOT - WHEN it's in season. Can't there be some rhyme/reason/seasonality to these "random" picks?

In a few months I could have fresh okra from my garden or the local farmers market coming out of my ears & could easily supply at least 3 recipes using it in one week. But now? Forget about it. Even the supermarkets don't have it fresh this time of year -only frozen.

Big sigh.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I think we're gonna ditch the okra...but, I have to tell you Dolly...if you ever had my maques choux you'd fall in love with me. We'd have political issues, but we'd eat well, I promise!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
The chef...the Madame worked in other organics...

It's fresh corn, off the cob, sauteed in butter with onions, garlic, peppers, bacon and green onions. Then, fresh okra is added for another minute or two, topped with more bacon and green onions and served. I actually won a competition with it several years ago. It took 3 people an hour to get all the corn off 200 cobs...but it was worth it in the end. So much better than frozen (although I've done it out of season with frozen, too)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

It's fresh corn, off the cob, sauteed in butter with onions, garlic, peppers, bacon and green onions. Then, fresh okra is added for another minute or two, topped with more bacon and green onions and served. I actually won a competition with it several years ago. It took 3 people an hour to get all the corn off 200 cobs...but it was worth it in the end
. So much better than frozen (although I've done it out of season with frozen, too)

THIS I would love! :clap::lol::flowers:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
But...we're not doing okra now. I can save this for the summer vegetable theme and make you drool xoxoxox

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter

It's fresh corn, off the cob, sauteed in butter with onions, garlic, peppers, bacon and green onions. Then, fresh okra is added for another minute or two, topped with more bacon and green onions and served. I actually won a competition with it several years ago. It took 3 people an hour to get all the corn off 200 cobs...but it was worth it in the end. So much better than frozen (although I've done it out of season with frozen, too)

That sounds good!

I thought the only way to make okra edible was to bread and fry it! :mrgreen:

Jim

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Okra and me go hand in hand in only one venue - GUMBO !!

Premilary pics..................
KitchenSinkGumbo4-23001.jpg

KitchenSinkGumbo4-23002.jpg

KitchenSinkGumbo4-23003.jpg

KitchenSinkGumbo4-23004.jpg

KitchenSinkGumbo4-23005.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
THX, VB -not finished yet...............
Today, the seafood goes in, then a final pic..............

Cooksie

Site Supporter
And The Deal looks great! I know the flavor improves, but I can never wait until the next day.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
and here I thought I was one of the only few who loved boston butter lettuce...

It all looks wonderful, as usual Lucky!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
OMG! This looks really good LT.

KitchenSinkGumbo4-23007.jpg

And may I ask what this is?

KitchenSinkGumbo4-23002.jpg

It kind of resembles ground sausage or ground turkey.