Suggestions for Monthly Themes

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, it looks like we have some interest in a Monthly Theme challenge! :clap:

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll start it off in the Iron Chef thread. If there is significant interest and turnout, perhaps we can have a new Forum started for "Monthly Theme". Also, making this thread a Sticky would help.

I'd like to use this thread to gather ideas for Themes. The first monthly Theme will start February 1, 2010, and it will be "Take Out Food". The idea is that, anytime during the Month of February, you make your favorite fast-food or takeout food, and post it to the Monthly Theme thread (which I'll start on February 1). Once February is over, we'll pick a new theme and start again.

The idea of this is inspire everyone to get into the kitchen and cook! Be creative, and show us your interpretation of the theme. Also, the theme thread becomes something of a cookbook and central repository for future reference. Anyone in the mood for a certain style or theme of food can simply open the appropriate thread and peruse all of our entries to find inspiration and ideas.

----------------------------------------------
Basic Rules
1. The food you make should match the theme. There is no singular ingredient. It's all about the theme no matter how many (or how few) ingredients it takes for you to conceptualize and create that theme dish.

2. You must make the dish during the month of the theme and (if possible) post a picture of it. If you have made the recipe before and posted it here, that is fine. All you need is make it again and post the new picture. Please do not re-use old pictures from previous recipes. The idea here is to cook the dish during the month of the theme and post the new picture. Theme months start on day 1 of the month and extend to midnight of the last day of the month.

3. If posting a picture, then if at all possible, include a recipe with your picture. You can post the recipe in the theme thread, or you can create a new thread for your recipe and link it with your picture in the theme thread. If you are revisiting a recipe you have made and posted before, simply include the link to your recipe along with your new picture.

4. If your Theme Dish also fits the current Iron Chef challenge (or vice versa), it's ok to post it in both places.

As with the Iron Chef Challenges, I'd like everyone to submit ideas for a theme in this thread. Submit as many as you like. Each month, I'll use the Random Number Generator to pick the next theme, and then I will create the new theme thread. I've already added a few theme ideas. Feel free to post any that you'd like to see.

-------- Past Themes --------

1. February 2010: Take Out Food

-------- Future Themes --------

1. Hot & Spicy
2. Comfort Food
3. At The Coast (foods typical of US coastal cities)
4. The Far East (Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc)
5. Super Sloppy (the messiest & yummiest food you can imagine)
6. All About Dough (breads, puff pastry, phillo, pot pies, Beef Wellington, etc)
7. Totally Fried (nothing but fried food)
8. What A Crock (everything has to be made in a crock pot)
9. The Great Outdoors (grilled, smoked, pit fire, just cook it outside)

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Color. You need to make a dish with all the same color entree, sides, etc.

Interesting! How close should the color be? Would Salmon with Steamed Shrimp be close enough? Or Roasted Chicken Breast with white rice and cauliflower?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, if we require a photo, people who can't post pictures can't play.

How about we REALLY hope that most entries are accompanied by a photo?

I like the categories you've listed so far. And, if I were Alex Trebek, I'd give you the points for the above 2 "color" entries. LOL!

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Well, I guess the idea is to have some fun with food coloring/sauces, etc. Say something like orange glazed chicken with roasted butternut squash and maybe yellow rice (or something). Top it off with some sort of orange colored cocktail. So no, they don't need to be exactly the same color.

Green eggs and ham? lol

You could just scatter different colors throughout the list. Should be interesting when "blue" comes up. ha haaa :chef:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, if we require a photo, people who can't post pictures can't play.

How about we REALLY hope that most entries are accompanied by a photo?

I like the categories you've listed so far. And, if I were Alex Trebek, I'd give you the points for the above 2 "color" entries. LOL!

Lee

Ok, I changed the Basic Rules while I still had time to edit it.

However, what about old recipes? Say someone has posted a recipe for Southwestern Slaw Dogs in the Sandwich forum, but they never posted a picture. Then, February rolls around and the Theme is Take Out Food.....and hot dogs count.

So, should a person be able to just post a link to that old recipe without a new picture? If so, then every Theme Challenge would end up being nothing but an index of older recipes. We'll end up with 50 re-posts of old recipes, and no new cooking will have been done.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well…..we could add a rule:

5. If the theme recipe you enter is brand new and has never been posted here before, then text only is fine; no picture required. If the recipe you are entering has been posted here before and you'd like to revisit it for your Theme Entry, then a picture is required of the newly cooked dish. The reason for this is that there are literally thousands of recipes here at NCT, and all of them will fit into one theme category or another. In order to avoid an over-abundance of recipe duplication, new pictures are required for previously posted recipes. The new picture will showcase your recipe (thus bringing it back into view) and it will also show how you are making that dish today as compared to when you first posted the recipe some time ago.

I think that would cover it?

Without that stipulation in place, we could see a huge explosion of recipe re-posting. For "Take Out Food" I could simply posts links to my Tri-Tip Steak Sandwich, Philly Dog, BBQ Slaw Dog, Wing Tip Dippers, Mini-Chick Sandwiches, 3 Meat Burger, etc, etc, etc. If I just re-linked or posted all those old recipes, it defeats the purpose of a new cooking challenge.

I think it's fine to re-visit older recipes if you cook it again and post a new picture. The new pictures show that you did indeed cook it during the Theme Month, and it also shows how your take of your own recipe may have changed since you first posted the recipe.

If the recipe is brand-new and never been posted here before, then text only should be fine. But, we'll have to rely on "Scout's Honor" that you did cook it when you posted the recipe. Otherwise, it's not a cooking challenge, but a "How many recipes can you post that match the theme" challenge. That's the only reason I wanted to require a picture.

On the other-hand, if the recipe is new and never been posted here before, does it matter if the poster cooked it that month or not? Let's say the theme is Hot & Spicy. If a member has 7 recipes that are Hot & Spicy and they have never posted them here, then should it be a requirement that they actually cooked the recipe that month? The more NEW recipes posted to NCT the better right?

But, on the other-other-hand, couldn't this lead to someone just posting recipes like mad, and possibly even posting recipes they have never even made before? It could actually even lead to cut-n-paste recipes just because they match the theme, or recipes being posted that someone saw in a newspaper or magazine that matched the theme.

Personally, requiring a picture to enter the challenge would make sure that the recipe was indeed cooked during the month of the challenge. If someone can't post pictures, but they want to post a recipe, then they can just post the recipe to the appropriate forum. There's nothing stopping anyone from posting as many recipes as they want to NCT. But I don't think the IC Challenge or the Monthly Theme Challenge should turn into a "how many recipes can you post" kind of thing. You can do that any time you like anyway. The challenges are supposed to be just that….a challenge to each member to get creative and cook something within the time limits.

Does that make sense?

Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
How about Barbecue??
Vegetarian?
Harvest??
Spring Garden
Childhood Favourites
Sleek and Sexy - think romantic foods (oysters, chocolate, bubbles, rare meat, etc)
Picnics
It's a wrap - (things wrapped in other things)
Boardwalk, Circus, and State Fair
Street Vendor

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
How about Barbecue??
Vegetarian?
Harvest??
Spring Garden
Childhood Favourites
Sleek and Sexy - think romantic foods (oysters, chocolate, bubbles, rare meat, etc)
Picnics
It's a wrap - (things wrapped in other things)
Boardwalk, Circus, and State Fair
Street Vendor

Awesome ideas!!! I can't wait to do some of those. :clap:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Just my opinion. PIx should be optional. You already did that. Absolutely the dish should be prepared within the time of. The event.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ohhhhhhhhh, now I get your point about the photos, Keltin: Members who don't post photos of their dishes for the challenge may be just cutting and pasting recipes that fit the theme, rather than actually making the dish. Good thought, and yeah, that would tick me off!

However, my opinion is that we shouldn't make the rules to exclude people who are honest and want to play. And if we suspect a person of loading up the challenge forum with cut-and-pasted recipes that don't have photos, we just call him or her on it. And perhaps move that person's posted recipes into another sub-forum.

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ohhhhhhhhh, now I get your point about the photos, Keltin: Members who don't post photos of their dishes for the challenge may be just cutting and pasting recipes that fit the theme, rather than actually making the dish. Good thought, and yeah, that would tick me off!

However, my opinion is that we shouldn't make the rules to exclude people who are honest and want to play. And if we suspect a person of loading up the challenge forum with cut-and-pasted recipes that don't have photos, we just call him or her on it. And perhaps move that person's posted recipes into another sub-forum.

Lee

That works for me! I think first and foremost it should always be fun and something to look forward to doing. Also, it's a great way to generate new content for NCT.

Running on "Scout's Honor" is fine with me. We can give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This should be fun! I'm loving What a Crock, Super Sloppy, It's a Wrap, and Picnics.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Ok, it looks like we have some interest in a Monthly Theme challenge! :clap:

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll start it off in the Iron Chef thread. If there is significant interest and turnout, perhaps we can have a new Forum started for "Monthly Theme". Also, making this thread a Sticky would help.

I'd like to use this thread to gather ideas for Themes. The first monthly Theme will start February 1, 2010, and it will be "Take Out Food". The idea is that, anytime during the Month of February, you make your favorite fast-food or takeout food, and post it to the Monthly Theme thread (which I'll start on February 1). Once February is over, we'll pick a new theme and start again.

The idea of this is inspire everyone to get into the kitchen and cook! Be creative, and show us your interpretation of the theme. Also, the theme thread becomes something of a cookbook and central repository for future reference. Anyone in the mood for a certain style or theme of food can simply open the appropriate thread and peruse all of our entries to find inspiration and ideas.

Basic Rules
1. The food you make should match the theme. There is no singular ingredient. It's all about the theme no matter how many (or how few) ingredients it takes for you to conceptualize and create that theme dish.

2. You must make the dish during the month of the theme and (if possible) post a picture of it. If you have made the recipe before and posted it here, that is fine. All you need is make it again and post the new picture. Please do not re-use old pictures from previous recipes. The idea here is to cook the dish during the month of the theme and post the new picture. Theme months start on day 1 of the month and extend to midnight of the last day of the month.

3. If posting a picture, then if at all possible, include a recipe with your picture. You can post the recipe in the theme thread, or you can create a new thread for your recipe and link it with your picture in the theme thread. If you are revisiting a recipe you have made and posted before, simply include the link to your recipe along with your new picture.

4. If your Theme Dish also fits the current Iron Chef challenge (or vice versa), it's ok to post it in both places.

As with the Iron Chef Challenges, I'd like everyone to submit ideas for a theme in this thread. Submit as many as you like. Each month, I'll use the Random Number Generator to pick the next theme, and then I will create the new theme thread. I've already added a few theme ideas. Feel free to post any that you'd like to see.

1. Hot & Spicy
2. Comfort Food
6. All About Dough (breads, puff pastry, phillo, pot pies, Beef Wellington, etc)
8. What A Crock (everything has to be made in a crock pot)
9. The Great Outdoors (grilled, smoked, pit fire, just cook it outside)
ok so feb 1 is Our Take on Take Out.
goody goody!!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Yep. I'll make a Theme Thread and post it on Feb 1 (more than likely I'll post it the night of Jan 31 so it's up and ready for Feb 1).
cool now take out is anything from a fast food, deli or restaurant etc right? or just fast food drive up window stuff?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
cool now take out is anything from a fast food, deli or restaurant etc right? or just fast food drive up window stuff?

Right. I'll explain it fully in the Theme Thread, but the idea is any Take Out style food that you can get in a hurry. Not strictly "fast food" as that implies only places like McD, Burger King, etc. Other options would be burgers from Ruby Tuesday, Chili Dogs from Steak N Shake, Poppers from Chili's, Pizza from Pizza Hut, Lobster Bites from Long John Silver, etc.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i like the crockpot idea...i have been living out of a crockpot for the last couple of weeks...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Updated List

1. Hot & Spicy
2. Comfort Food
8. What A Crock (your dish has to be made in a crock pot)
9. The Great Outdoors (grilled, smoked, pit fire, BBQ, just cook it outside)
10. True Colors (make a meal where entrée, sides, drinks, etc, are all the same color)
11. Vegetarian (lacto-ovo)
12. The Harvest (food that makes you think of the Fall)
13. Spring Garden (food that makes you think of the Spring)
14. Childhood Favorites
15. Sleek and Sexy (romantic foods - oysters, chocolate, bubbles, rare meat, etc)
16. Picnics
17. It's a wrap (things wrapped in other things)
18. Boardwalk, Circus, and State Fair
19. Street Vendor
20. The Tropics (food from tropical locations)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
i can lend anyone a norwegian cookbook if they'd like to cook everything beige or white.

with dill, or in cream sauce. usually both.

:huh:

the entire cookbook!

LOL! Ain't THAT the truth??!!

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Updated List

1. Hot & Spicy
2. Comfort Food
8. What A Crock (your dish has to be made in a crock pot)
9. The Great Outdoors (grilled, smoked, pit fire, BBQ, just cook it outside)
10. True Colors (make a meal where entrée, sides, drinks, etc, are all the same color)
11. Vegetarian (lacto-ovo)
12. The Harvest (food that makes you think of the Fall)
13. Spring Garden (food that makes you think of the Spring)
14. Childhood Favorites
15. Sleek and Sexy (romantic foods - oysters, chocolate, bubbles, rare meat, etc)
16. Picnics
17. It's a wrap (things wrapped in other things)
18. Boardwalk, Circus, and State Fair
19. Street Vendor
20. The Tropics (food from tropical locations)

This is a two year commitment!! I wonder who'll still be participating when we get to the tropics...