NCT's Iron Chef 43: Battle Gumbo.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
The random number for this week came out #24.

GUMBO!

As with the other ICs, this is a challenge to ourselves. There is no judging, and no winner. We are ALL winners in this since we will all benefit from the creativity and new recipes that this challenge will bring us.

The rules are simple, this challenge is open for 7 days (week of 2/28/10 - 3/06/10). During that 7 day period, make any kind of dish you want, however you want. Drink, Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert, etc. The only stipulations are that you must use Gumbo in some way in the dish, and it must be something you have cooked during the 7 day period of this challenge.

Once your dish is ready, it’s a good idea to make a new post with your recipe. Then, post a link and a picture of your recipe to this thread. Alternatively, if you like, post your recipe and pictures here. In the end, we will compile all the results into one thread for easy searching.

Now, let Battle Gumbo begin!

2rz866e.jpg

K

Kimchee

Gosh, I JUST finished off the last leftovers of the gumbo I made.... and no picture, darn it. grrr

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Ummmmm.... That would be gumbY - This week we are looking for GumbO. LOL

Cool Pic - haven't sen him in a while.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Loralie - There is gumbo without Okra. Here is one recipe
http://southernfood.about.com/od/gumborecipes/r/bln18.htm

I did find this comment on a webboard when I was researching for you.

Not true. I also dislike okra, and I had no trouble at all finding okra-free gumbo in New Orleans and in Cajun country. I've been told that one version is Cajun, the other Creole.

The okra generally is used for thickening you can use File powder for that.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Why thank you Andy :)
Several of those sound really good.
I am leaning toward a sausage and chicken gumbo sans that green stuff lol

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Re; Gumbo - doesn't need okra, is fine with it..........I would mention that, if you use the okra, do not use filet powder; I find that the filet powder neutralizes the flavor of the okra.

SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE GUMBO

Gumbo.jpg

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Awww, I had every intention to get in on this one. Unfortunately I threw out my back playing with our devil puppy, so I was down most of the weekend. :sad:

Me too!!!

Unfortunately, my broken wrist has kept us dining out & eating takeout (to keep the dishes down), or cooking easy quickie bite-size food - lol!

I'm losing patience. Want this cast off NOW!!!!:tongue: