NCT's Iron Chef 15: Battle Ribs

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks. Tough to tell looking straight into it, but I thought I saw charcoal.

I've got an outdoor DO, but I also bought a 3.5 qt Lodge indoor one I use quite often (no legs). I'm using it now on the stove. CI DOs are nice.

I made the cioppino in my CI dutch oven! It's what I always make gumbo in, too

Blues Man

My smoking buddy ..............

I used my own homemade rub and smoked the spare ribs using RO lump charcoal and chunks of apple wood....

100_0558.jpg

One of the four racks of spare ribs ................ Smoked for 5 hours. Sprayed with apple juice every hour.....

100_0561.jpg

The ribs ended up very moist and tender........

100_0563.jpg

100_0573.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, I've seen those lately. Most recently, when we were in Williamsburg, being used in the authentic kitchens. I thought then that I'd want one..and sure enough, I really do. I could actually make a stew in the middle of summer with one of those.

Absolutely! And much much, more without ever heating up your house or running the 220 to your oven and using that electricity! I LOVE my DO! As with all seasoned CI cookery, the CI adds to the flavor and makes it taste oh so much better. For stews and chili (and most everything really), it's awesome - it's a just set it and forget it kind of thing. Set your coals and walk away for an hour to 1.5 hours before you need to fiddle with it. Great stuff.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm bored, some pics:

The Chinese hoisin/plum sauce finished.

Ribs002-1.jpg

Infusing some canola oil with dried guajillo chiles.

Ribs001-1.jpg

Another hour for the ribs. Cam gets all hazy going from the a/c to the outdoors.

Ribs004.jpg

Jeek....uh, High Cheese :)lol:) what did you do with the chile infused oil? And what became of the chiles after the infusion?

High Cheese

Saucier
Jeek....uh, High Cheese :)lol:) what did you do with the chile infused oil? And what became of the chiles after the infusion?

The oil became part of the base for the Mexican BBQ sauce. Basically the oil, tequilla, lime juice and some thin tomatoey store bought sauce. I like to apply many layers of a thin sauce rather than that thick gooey stuff.

Those chiles are great, not too hot but kinda makes your mouth tingle, great flavor. I use the dried chiles alot for chile oils.