I'll be needing a new cook soon...

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I have to hire a new cook soon. After the horror stories both of my previous attempts were, I'm cynical, to say the least.

I have an idea of what I want an interview to be like.... but before I tell you what my plan is..

What would you expect to be asked if you were applying to a lead cook position. Let's assume, just for shits and giggles, that you have experience. Keep in mind, I'm not looking for an executive chef. We already have one (me!) and I'm a very tough act to follow.

And, if any of you have ever been on a cooking interview/trail what was it like for you?

by the way, I need a pizza person and a couple of prep people too. Anyone want to work for the Madame Queen of the Knives??

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I would love to work for you but not in the kitchen though I'm open to other parts of your home. I might even do windows if the price is right. :mrgreen:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I have never had a cooking interview but have watch Gordon Ramsey do some.

I would probably expect to be questioned on my cooking history, particularly asked about cooking I was prod of and cooking that was not so good.
How I would rescue something that was going wrong.
Questions on technique.
Probably would also be expected to cook a dish either following a recipe or one of my own making so the interviewer can see how I put flavours together and gets an understanding of my skills.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
All joking aside I agree with Ray, and after the interview make them show you they can cook either by recipe or their own. Their own cooking will tell you more than any single thing they could say in regards to their ability. All that is left after that is can you deal with them on a more personal level, in other words will they follow instructions and take instructions from the executive chef even if they tell them to fry shit. If not don't hire them period.

chowhound

Experience and references. I would expect to hand in a resume with the jobs I've worked and their contact information, plus any additional references.

Biskit

When you place your ad for a cook, explicitly mention that the interview will include a test run, following a recipe and to do one of his/her own dishes.
If it were me, I'd have to be damned serious about wanting the job to put that much time into an interview. If I WAS that serious, I'm thinking that you'd believe me to be a qualified candidate to, possibly, fill the position. I would understand that the considerable time I put into the interview session might not net me the job.
Might be a way of screening out the wannabees who really don't care.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
hey i need a steady job..lol

Vera i will show you a recipe i came up with this past week. i will show the board the whole recipe and pics when i cook it this weekend.

as far as what you would ask them, i personally would bring them into the kitchen grab a couple of onions, then tell them how you want them cut up .. ie. chopped,diced, minced....if they cant get that right then go from there....

oh and i am applying for the job of dishwasher..lol

sending PM right now Vera

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Damn, I wish I could cook just so we could hang out all day and talk about dirty stuff, Vera.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Vera i will show you a recipe i came up with this past week. i will show the board the whole recipe and pics when i cook it this weekend.

as far as what you would ask them, i personally would bring them into the kitchen grab a couple of onions, then tell them how you want them cut up .. ie. chopped,diced, minced....if they cant get that right then go from there....

You will do anything to get out of Canada won't you Jeff. :yum:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I've heard many Chef's say a true interview test is to make an omelet.

i guess you could say my mom is a chef...seeing as we had to taste test so much stuff as kids when she was going to school..

she use to tell me....along the lines what Keltin said... fry me an egg and i will tell you how good of a cook you are.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Yes I would love to work for you but not in the kitchen though I'm open to other parts of your home. I might even do windows if the price is right. :mrgreen:

If I strolled around in black satin and lace, using a finely manicured finger to point out all the areas that required attention, would you be interested??

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

ah....now I see! I read PM's first, before checking the posts. Thank you for that recipe, by the way. It looks amazing.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
ah....now I see! I read PM's first, before checking the posts. Thank you for that recipe, by the way. It looks amazing.

so can i have a job as a dishwasher?..:yum:

i will give the exact measurements on friday or saturday...will be making it one of those days.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Damn, I wish I could cook just so we could hang out all day and talk about dirty stuff, Vera.

As your boss, I'd have to counsel you that such behaviour is against company policy and boarders on sexual harrasment. As your friend, however, I'd tell you to stop bullshitting and go cook something before I kick your ass.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Can I come too?? lol :wave:

Yeah, cuz that's just what I need....a couple of ladies making fun of everyone that walks through the cafe or hitting on all my delivery guys....and you'll notice I did say 'my' delivery guys.;);):lol:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i stopped by a fusion sushi/Italian restaurant on my way in from school a few years ago, & they said to make my best soup (i made French onion, since it was quick) though they were veggie so i used faux beef boullion insead of beef stock. then they wanted me to demonstrate my knife skills. i passed! he hired me! sadly, the sushi/Italian mix didn't fly & they closed. i loved that job. it was a cozy environment..

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm beginning to look for externship opportunities tomorrow! verablue, need a sous Chef? ;)

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Ok what is the hourly rate then? You are making me pull it out of you girl. :dizzy:

$250 an hour...but there is a cap of a thousand dollars a day...if you can make it to that much, you can stay for 8 hours.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Yeah, cuz that's just what I need....a couple of ladies making fun of everyone that walks through the cafe or hitting on all my delivery guys....and you'll notice I did say 'my' delivery guys.;);):lol:
Wait - you have delivery guys???? Do they actually deliver? Cuz I love a guy who can deliver.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Baby, they'll deliver it to you so good you won't even miss a beat doling out the orders to the rest of the staff.

And..you even get to instruct them where to put the delivery....front of the house or back...:brows:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
$250 an hour...but there is a cap of a thousand dollars a day...if you can make it to that much, you can stay for 8 hours.

Damned girl, my wife charges me a lot less per hour. :yum:

Wait - you have delivery guys???? Do they actually deliver? Cuz I love a guy who can deliver.

I will try out for the delivery job and see how that works out. You do know no one can make every one happy. :yum: