Chicken-of-the-Sea Crab - don't

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
so , , , nice souffle for din-din, decided to enhance the eggs with a nice crab white sauce. for two people you don't need 8 - 16 ounces, so I stumbled over Chicken-of-the-Sea canned lump crab.

gave it a shot - 3.5 ounces or so - just right for a small amount of sauce.....

my advice: don't even think about it. the stuff is a-w-f-u-l.

the fake crab would do better.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the heads-up, Chowderman!

Sometimes I like to make a couple of crabcakes for myself, but I am always wondering what kind of canned crabmeat to get.

Anyone have recommendations?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we can get 8 ounce or 16 ounce "tubs" of crab meat graded lump or super lump / (general purpose) / claw / backfin.

even the stuff with "American brand names" is imported from Asia - and the crab is not the same species as the East Coast / Chesapeake "Blue Claw" crab and it really does not taste the same.

there's this little "hole in the wall" joint nearby that sells, in season, Chesapeake crab hand picked (likely on Smith Island...) crab meat. it's in a tray, "loose", on ice, you can buy an ounce or a pound. I think they have crabber relatives because it's the only place within counties that has the real stuff.

depending on your degree of desperation, don't buy the Asian crab. you'll be disappointed.

but to note however.... when you trip over the real blue claw stuff, buy the quantity size as offered. homemade crab cakes freeze well. make, put them on wax paper, single layer, uncovered, in the freezer overnight. then wrap in portion batches using aluminum foil.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
hey, TY, crabman. i listen to u. i have a lb. of jumbo lump. not cheap, so that is my run-to. is okay.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
crab is expensive no matter which way you look.

I've been thinking to make/freeze a supply of crab cakes to see us thru (cheap) season to season