Breezy Turkey Pad See Ew

Since Thanksgiving is pretty much already a fond memory, yet I still have leftover turkey in the freezer as well as a local market that stocks "Gai Lan" (aka "Chinese Broccoli"), decided to give this new Thai recipe a try last night. It was delicious, if definitively for garlic lovers, which I surely am. If you can't fine Gai Lan, I imagine regular broccoli - particularly if you included the broccoli leaves - or "Broccolini" would work well. The original recipe I took this from also suggested Broccoli Raab (aka "Rapini"), but I think that might be too bitter in this application. But again - worth a try. Enjoy! :chef:

Breezy Turkey Pad See Ew

1 package dried wide rice noodles (I used “A Taste of Thai” brand)
1 bunch Gai Lan (aka “Chinese Broccoli”)
A few dollops canola or vegetable oil
6 garlic cloves, sliced paper thin (a mini-mandoline is great for this task!)
Approx. 2-3 cups bite-size piece of cooked turkey
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used “Kikkoman” brand)
Approx. 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs, beaten

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
  2. Remove and discard lowest portion of Gai Lan stems, and slice remaining leaves, stems, and florets into approximate 1-inch pieces.
  3. Add noodles to boiling water and cook according to package directions (which should be between 5-8 minutes, but taste-test so as not to overcook). About 3 minutes into cooking time, add Gai Lan into water with noodles. When done, drain noodles and Gai Lan in a colander and set aside.
  4. Heat a few dollops oil in a large frying pan (preferably non-stick) over medium-high heat. When it just starts to shimmer (not smoke!), add garlic and cook until it just begins to soften and color – around 30-40 seconds. Do NOT let garlic burn! If it does, start over with fresh garlic.
  5. Add reserved noodles and broccoli, turkey, soy sauces, and sugar and cook until warmed through, about 3-4 minutes.
  6. Push noodle mixture to one side of the pan and add a little extra oil if necessary to the cleared side. Add beaten eggs to the cleared side of the pan and scramble briefly until solidly set. Mix eggs into rest of noodle mixture and serve.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, well I've copied and saved this in my files as "Turkey, Chinese, Noodles and Broccoli", since the correct name of the dish sounds too exotic for me to find again.

Breezy, this sounds delicious, and I work next to a big Asian supermarket, so I'm sure I can get the noodles and Chinese broccoli.

Thanks!

Lee

Do try to find it. In an Asian market it will most likely be displayed as "Gai Lan". It really is a very nice vegetable. Looks more like Broccoli Raab (relatively narrow stalks, lots of leaves, & a few small florets) & cooks up pretty much the same. The difference is the flavor - Gai Lan doesn't have the slightly bitter bite of Raab. Is sweet like Broccolini. Is great in all sorts of stir-fry dishes.