Jewish Food Mailing List

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
There is another searchable database of recipes from around the world that represents Jewish cooking. One can see it is not just matzoh ball soup and lox on a bagel.

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/

There are a lot of foodies from around the world who are a member of their yahoogroup. Some are cookbook authors and some are newspaper collumn writers. One doesn't have to be Jewish to join and there are a lot of great recipes and cooks over there. The above link, will let you click on the recipes that they have posted.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I should take a look a that when I have the time, don't know hardly anything about Jewish cooking...

Unfortunately, my mother and grandmother ruined it for me, as they were lousy cooks in general. Always trying to keep tradition by trying to make traditional jewish food. Do to their lack of cooking skill and taste buds, I couldnt stomach the things they made. Sure, i love the traditionals ( matzoh balls, potato pancakes and bagels) But Ive kept my distance from the rest. Maybe Ill take a look over there and try to erase my bad culinary memories.

larry

PanchoHambre

that is a really cool site Susan. My Jewish grandmother thinks cooking is making tuna salad...never seen the stove on!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Actually, Jewish food is a bit of a misnomer. We were forced to be a wandering people. Jews around the world ate like where they lived accept they kept kosher. So, you will be surprised what you might find. And, some Jewish cooks are quite amazing--they were in my family.

PanchoHambre

yep I did not get lucky with the grandmothers as cooks... the Italian or the Jewish one (my step-grandmother was German/Jewish she could cook!) My own not so much. so for old recipes it is the internet... mostly.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Well, if there is something particular that you are looking for, perhaps I can help. I know who the balabustas are--

Calicolady

Thanks for the link, Sus.
I remember some of the dishes I had growing up at my friend's houses, but not what they were called. None of them kept kosher, but during their holidays they did bring out the BIG GUNS.
The best was a pot roast one of the mother's made spiced different(and better) than my mom's.

And my fav. - raspberry or apricot ruggelach.

CharlieD

I cook Mexican, Chineese, Ukrainian, Russian, American, etc. and it is all Jewish, because I make all kosher stuff. I love matzoballs and chicken soup though.