Around the World - 5th stop - GREECE!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'd like to resume this with a trip back to Europe. I grew up in Detroit, and we had a very large Greektown. The restaurants were fabulous, and the desserts - :wow:

But I never learned to make the dishes at home. Moussaka, gyros, saganaki, dolmades, pastitio are dishes I only eat in restaurants. I'd love to try my hand at a few of them.

The ingredients are wonderful. Olives, lemons, cheeses & fresh herbs, especially thyme & oregano. Nuts & honey in the desserts. The beautiful lamb dishes, the seafood from the Mediterranean islands, and of course, ouzo!

Because of the Mediterranean weather, many flavors are similar to Italy, but without the heavy reliance on the tomato in the south, or the French cream influence in the north. With spring lamb in season, and fresh vegetables filling our seasonal markets, it seems the perfect time to experiment with Greek food.

Anyone going to join me?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
HMMMMMMMMMMMM Not sure I can swing it this week. But I will try.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Remember, this isn't a one week thing. We just stay with the country until everyone seems to wear it out. Then we pick another. If our past history is any indication, it takes us all about a week to get into it, and then another couple weeks to do it justice.

Join in as much or as little as you can. Cook Greek food, post recipes, or just share information and experiences about Greece and Greek food.

Anyone here have a little Greek in their background?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Remember, this isn't a one week thing. We just stay with the country until everyone seems to wear it out. Then we pick another. If our past history is any indication, it takes us all about a week to get into it, and then another couple weeks to do it justice.

Join in as much or as little as you can. Cook Greek food, post recipes, or just share information and experiences about Greece and Greek food.

Anyone here have a little Greek in their background?
Oh ok. I have pictures and recipes of past dishes. I have to run out but will post pics and recipes when I get back or after dinner is finished.

Carolina Cooking

Peep
Jetfan is . I thought about inviting him too. I just didn't think he would come. Then again I didn't think to see Norm either. :yum:

GotGarlic

I'd like to resume this with a trip back to Europe. I grew up in Detroit, and we had a very large Greektown. The restaurants were fabulous, and the desserts - :wow:

But I never learned to make the dishes at home. Moussaka, gyros, saganaki, dolmades, pastitio are dishes I only eat in restaurants. I'd love to try my hand at a few of them.

The ingredients are wonderful. Olives, lemons, cheeses & fresh herbs, especially thyme & oregano. Nuts & honey in the desserts. The beautiful lamb dishes, the seafood from the Mediterranean islands, and of course, ouzo!

Because of the Mediterranean weather, many flavors are similar to Italy, but without the heavy reliance on the tomato in the south, or the French cream influence in the north. With spring lamb in season, and fresh vegetables filling our seasonal markets, it seems the perfect time to experiment with Greek food.

Anyone going to join me?

I didn't know you were from Detroit, SS! I grew up in several communities in SE MI - Monroe, Belleville, Woodhaven, Grosse Ile. Way cool :smile:

And of course, I'm familiar with Greektown. It's probably one of the reasons why Greek is one of my favorite cuisines. I have a list of recipes from someone I used to work with - she was a member of a Greek Annunciation Church and I copied the recipes from her church cookbook. I will try to make some in the next couple of weeks, but I will also post some recipes. Love this one :smile:

In fact, here's a simple one to start with:

Greek Pork Chops

Whisk together a marinade with 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano and S&P to taste. Marinate 4 1/2-inch thick pork chops for at least one hour, turning occasionally. Grill or pan-fry till done to your liking.

BUMP.

I love Greek food. Since we have several new members, perhaps we can revive this thread. Pastitsio is a favorite, but it's been awhile since I've made it. (I can cook it faster than I can type it out, but I'll give it a try.)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Broiled marinated lamb loin chops and Greek Salad

lamb-loin-chops-1-16-10-3.jpg

greek-salad-1-16-10-1.jpg

You're welcome.

I also like Greek lemon roasted potatoes - w/ lemon juice, oregano (& sometimes feta cheese). And, Greek pasta salad. So many great Greek dishes.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I don't like olives in any way, shape or form really, but I think I could eat them on a Greek style pizza.
So, I may just make one sometime this weekend.

Last edited:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I have trouble making Greek food for some reason - I'm alot better at eating it! lol

Darkginger

Lamb Kleftiko

Finished-dish.jpg

400g boneless lamb, cubed
2 tbsp Olive Oil
3 small potatoes
2 onions, chopped
2/3 cloves of garlic, minced
100g feta cheese, crumbled
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 teaspoon oregano
2/3 bay leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
salt, pepper

Pre-heat the Oven to 150°C (300°F, Gas Mark 2).

Peel and cut the potatoes into wedges and place in a ovenproof dish, pour over the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and add the bay leaves. Next, season the lamb with salt and pepper. Heat half the olive oil in a large pan and brown the meat on all sides over high heat. Add the remaining olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic until soft.

Transfer the mixture to the ovenprof dish (including the oil and juices) and top the lot with the tomatoes, sprinkle on the oregano and crumbled feta cheese. Bake well-covered in oven for 3 - 4 hours.

Enjoy! :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh my gosh, Darkginger, that looks wonderful!!

And welcome to NCT!

Please stick around and share some of your favorite recipes with us!

Lee

Darkginger

Moussaka

(no pic for this one - yet!)

1lb minced (ground) lamb or beef
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 cup good red wine
2 aubergines (eggplant)
Olive oil
Tomato puree
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 stock cube (beef or lamb, preferably Knorr) OR
1/4 cup well reduced beef or lamb stock
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons plain flour
1/2 pint milk
3 eggs, beaten
Grated cheese

Start by frying off the minced meat in a large pan, until browned (add a little oil if it's a lean mince). Add the ground cinnamon, and stir to distribute it through the dish - careful not to burn it! Add the garlic, crushed and finely chopped, then the wine and stock, or stock cube. Taste, and grind in some black pepper as needed. Add enough tomato puree to thicken the juices, stir through, take the dish off the heat and set to one side whilst you do the next part.

Slice the aubergines lengthwise into thin strips (I think of this as like making lasagne sheets out of aubergine - that sort of slice). Heat some olive oil in a frying pan, and fry the slices until soft. They'll absorb a lot of oil, but keep cooking until they start 'giving it back' - you'll probably need to do this in batches. Remove the slices and drain on kitchen paper until they're all done.

Now, layer the meat with aubergine slices in an ovenproof dish - I usually get 2 layers done.

For the topping, make a white sauce by cooking the flour in some olive oil, then drizzling in the milk, whisking until it's incorporated before adding more milk. Once you have a fairly thick white sauce, add a handful or so of grated cheese, and stir until it's melted into the sauce. Remove from the heat, and let it cool for a while, then whisk in the beaten eggs.

Pour the topping over the meat/aubergine, sprinkle over a little more grated cheese, then pop into the oven at 180°C for about 40 mins, or until the top is golden and bubbling. Eat with a fresh green salad.

Darkginger

Oh my gosh, Darkginger, that looks wonderful!!

And welcome to NCT!

Please stick around and share some of your favorite recipes with us!

Lee

Thanks and hi! Had forgotten I'd joined this site until SilverSage reminded me elsewhere - so here I am :)

Capozzoli

Here is how I do pastitsio.

I start by making a bechemel sauce. Butter flour roux with sliced onions, salt pepper and nutmeg. I simmer that until it is thick.

Then I take out about two cups of the bechemel sauce and let it cool.

I simmer a simple tomato sauce with absil oregano, Cinnamon and nutmeg.

I cook a lb of cut or whole ziti aldente and let them cool.

I brown a ground lamb mixture with chopped onions garlic oregano, nutmeg, Cinnamon, cumin seeds.

I take the two cups of bechenmel I set aside and then mix it with 4-6 eggs depending on the size. Beat the eggs into the bechemel well.

When assembling into a casserole I first pour in the tomato sauce, then I put in the pasta. Then a layer of the meat filling egg custard dumped on top and grated parm on top.

Bake at 325 only until the egg custard sets, a tooth pick comes out clean. Dont over cook or it will come out more like a frittata.

Sorry Im not writing out the whole recipe. I think I got everything.

Does it make sense? Let me know if I can clarify.

Thank you for sharing your recipe :) Very similar to mine, but have changed it over time.

I do the bechamel w/ fresh grated nutmeg. Use ground beef or lamb combo, add red wine, tomato paste, chopped onion & cinnamon. Sometimes I add raisins to the mix - my twist.

Penne is good,, but have used tubular Greek pasta - Misko -(if you can't find it at the market, you can buy it online).

Don't do the (more authenitcally Greek) custardy top, but use bechamel and add shredded mozzarella & sprinkle fresh nutmeg over the top. When I can find it, I incorporate Kefir cheese.

Great comfort food! Thanks for sharing.

ETA: I cook/bake in a pyrex oblong/rectangular dish - if I run over I use a small square pyrex dish. Thinking about baking it in a springform pan.

Here is how I do pastitsio.

I start by making a bechemel sauce. Butter flour roux with sliced onions, salt pepper and nutmeg. I simmer that until it is thick.

Then I take out about two cups of the bechemel sauce and let it cool.

I simmer a simple tomato sauce with absil oregano, Cinnamon and nutmeg.

I cook a lb of cut or whole ziti aldente and let them cool.

I brown a ground lamb mixture with chopped onions garlic oregano, nutmeg, Cinnamon, cumin seeds.

I take the two cups of bechenmel I set aside and then mix it with 4-6 eggs depending on the size. Beat the eggs into the bechemel well.

When assembling into a casserole I first pour in the tomato sauce, then I put in the pasta. Then a layer of the meat filling egg custard dumped on top and grated parm on top.

Bake at 325 only until the egg custard sets, a tooth pick comes out clean. Dont over cook or it will come out more like a frittata.

Sorry Im not writing out the whole recipe. I think I got everything.

Does it make sense? Let me know if I can clarify.

Last edited: