Bread Sauce

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Miniman posted in another thread, that he served Bread Sauce with his Christmas turducken roast. Several of us asked about the bread sauce.

Here's one recipe, and there are many others on the web, very similar.

http://www.thenational.ae/blogs/bites/bread-sauce-its-just-not-christmas-without-it

Sounds good - I'd try it! I would halve this recipe.

Lee

Bread sauce adapted from Gordon Ramsay

Ingredients:
one onion, halved
2 bay leaves
6 cloves
600ml full-fat milk (2 1/2 cups)
200g white breadcrumbs (preferably a little stale, and crust removed)= 4 cups
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
splash of cream
knob of butter
salt and pepper, to taste

Method:

Push the cloves through the bay leaves to stud them on to the onion halves. Place the onion in a saucepan and pour over the milk. Season with salt and pepper.

Bring the milk to the boil then remove from the heat. Cover the milk and onion and leave to infuse, for at least half an hour.

Meanwhile, blitz the bread into fine crumbs. Remove the onion from the milk (strain the milk through a sieve if necessary) and bring the milk back to a simmer.

Gradually stir in the breadcrumbs until you have a thick, creamy consistency. Add the nutmeg, a splash of double cream and a knob of butter and stir.

Check the seasoning and serve hot with the turkey and trimmings.

Saliha

I have a cookbook of the recipes of the Middle Ages Europe. Bread sauce seems to be an old recipe with many different variations, popular specially in the British kitchens.

General bread sauce from the Middle Ages

400 ml chicken broth
150 ml (meat) broth
100 ml breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
pinch of saffron
salt

Mix and heat broths, add bread cubes and spices. Bring to a boil again. Boil the moment. Move away from the heat, strain and use as a side dish with meat or chicken dishes. Recipe comes from the 1400's in England.

Source: Keskiajan keittiö - Hannele Klemettilä

http://www.reaktionbooks.co.uk/reaktion/display.asp?ISB=9781861899088&DS=The Medieval Kitchen