What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I put two loaves of sourdough no-knead cinnamon bread on the counter, and will bake them off in the morning for Sunday breakfast. I'll also be making two loaves of White bread and two Italian for Sunday brunch ant the SIL's place (20 for brunch), then dinner rolls for 16 for Sunday dinner at my brother's home. I'll be a bread baking fool tomorrow.:bonk:

chilefarmer

I may try the recipe below. A friend sent it to me from Sweden. I want to put some colored eggs in the braid. CF

Swiss braided Bread

Ingredients
  • 3 and 3/4 cups bread flour 1 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp active dried yeast
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 cup lukewarm milk
  • 4 tbsp melted butter
Method
Combine the wet ingredients along with the yeast (except the egg). Stir and let it stand for 15min until dissolved
In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Make a well and add the egg and the yeast mixture.
Combine well to obtain a rough dough
Transfer to a floured surface
and knead until smooth and elastic
Place in a clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap
and let it double about 2 hours (depending on climate you enjoy)
Grease a baking sheet. Punch the dough and divide into 3 equal pieces. Roll each into a long thin rope.
Bring one of the ends together.
Start braiding by bringing right end across the center rope. Now the right rope comes to the center and the center ones goes to the right hand side.
Now bring the left most rope on top of the center one.
Repeat the process
till you reach the end of the rope
Tuck the ends beneath the braid.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Just after 10 a.m and the Easter bread baking is completed. I made old fashion white bread, honey whole wheat, sourdough cinnamon no-knead, sandwich thins, Italian bread and cinnamon swirl that I made and froze earlier in the week. I sure do like having two ovens to get the baking done quicker. Cuts my baking time in half.

Easter2012Bread.jpg

Easter2012Bread-1.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
:wow: OH Joe :a1: They look fantastic!!

I would love a piece of the swirl YUM it looks perfect.

Mr. Green Jeans

I have craisins, yellow raisins and dried apples soaking in fruit juice. This evening I'm gonna take a stab at no-knead hot cross buns. The dough will rise overnight and tomorrow I'll form into rolls.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Easter Meat pie

meat_pie_040812_P1090457.JPG

meat_pie_sliced_040812_P1090459.JPG

Cheesecake (will be topped with cherries when served)

cheesecake_040812_P1090465.JPG

Last edited:
Both items you've cooked are beautiful.....think I'll come to your house for dinner and leave the rest of my family to my in-laws. That Easter Meat Pie looks soooo good! :encore:

Fallon

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Both items you've cooked are beautiful.....think I'll come to your house for dinner and leave the rest of my family to my in-laws. That Easter Meat Pie looks soooo good! :encore:

Fallon
Thank you. Mom made meat pie (Pizzagaina) every year. People would order meat pies from her also. She would make like 20 - 30 pies and only keep 2. She would charge $20.00 for a whole huge 10" deep dish pie That was well rounded above the top of the pie plate. The bakery would charge $20.00 a pound. Her pies weighed at least 6 - 10 lbs.

I don't make it every year because I am usually the only one who eats it after Easter morning. But I am missing mom so decided to keep the traditional breakfast this year.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Made a lemon poud cake today, using my new Flex Edge Beater and new tube cake pan. :eating2:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 141
Primo, Sherman. That's one beautiful-looking cake. Do yu frost the tops of your cakes after you make them? I love anything with lemon in it!
Today I'm working on a chocolate, walnut, custard triple layer pie and a loaf of lemon bread. Will try to get Ian to do some pics in between innings of the Sox game.

Fallon:chef:

Okay, Mama, are you ready - the photos got taken. I intended to take the final picture of the pie once it had been cut but ran out of time - so here's what I have:
The first two layers, chocolate and walnuts.jpg
The top photo shows the pie two-thirds finished with the chocolate layer and the walnut layer.
Finished Pie with 3 layers - chocolate, walnuts and custard with sprinkles on top.jpg
The bottom photo shows the finished pie with the third custard layer and the topping is multi-colored sprinkles. I'm afraid the cell phone pictures are not the best!

Here's a picture of the lemon bread I made during the ball game this afternoon: The bread has a lemon glaze on the top and really tasted good! And I still think cell phone photos are awful. But when it's all you've got...........:yum:
Lemon Bread Loaf uncut.jpg
Lemon Bread Loaf - uncut
Sliced Lemon Bread Loaf.jpg
Lemon Bread loaf - sliced

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh my goodness Fallon...my mouth is watering! :applause: I hope you'll consider posting the recipes! I am a HUGE fan of anything lemon and would love to see your recipe!

Looking really tasty, I would try a big ol' slice. You sure those are walnuts. just asking. CF:biggrin:

Sure glad you asked...they are pecans, but I had to have Ian go and check the package just now to be sure. Thanks for the catch - I'd have wondered what I did after I bit into a slice of pie. :whistle:

Fallon

Oh my goodness Fallon...my mouth is watering! :applause: I hope you'll consider posting the recipes! I am a HUGE fan of anything lemon and would love to see your recipe!

I'll be happy to, Mama but not tonight. I'll get to it tomorrow...right now I'm absolutely cross-eyed from baking all day (made a huge meatloaf with baked yams and a green veggie for dinner tonight, after I finished with the pie and the bread) and at the moment I'm all partied out from celebrating the Sox sweep of the weekend series. To bed, perchance to dream of baseballs and baked goods - :piesmiley1:

Fallon

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
There's no hurry Fallon...just whenever you get a chance.

Congratulations on the sweep! The Braves swept their series too!

Ahhhh.....Baseball and baked goods....those are indeed sweet dreams!

I know this kind of doesn't belong with baking things (although the one in the photo is kind of half-baked most of the time) but this is the best photo I ever took with a cell phone and I've never been able to do as well ever again. This is Toby Bear!

Fallon

Attachments

• Toby the Protector.jpg
    Toby the Protector.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 114
Congratulations to the Atlanta Braves! When I was in college I lived for about six months in Chamblee, Georgia and fell totally in love with the area. And the Braves, the magnolias, all the beautiful old homes all around and especially with a restaurant over somewhat north of Atlanta called Johhny Reb's Dixieland. I think the name of the town it was in was Sandy Springs, but I'm not sure. It was an amazing place with an open kitchen and a floor show that faught the battle of Atlanta every night. We also loved to visit the Cyclorama and the zoo that was nearby. Are any or all of those places still there? It was a long time ago. I was a student at Emory at the time. I've always been a Civil War buff and loved to visit the sites of some of the famous battles while I was down there, too. And every time I watch Gone With THe Wind I always root for the Confederates and hope that the movie will end differently this time...............

Fallon

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Johnny Rebs Dixieland, the cyclorama, the zoo, Margret Mitchell's house and the Gone With The Wind Museum...they're all still there. Emory is a wonderful university.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Primo, Sherman. That's one beautiful-looking cake. Do yu frost the tops of your cakes after you make them? I love anything with lemon in it!
Today I'm working on a chocolate, walnut, custard triple layer pie and a loaf of lemon bread. Will try to get Ian to do some pics in between innings of the Sox game.

Fallon:chef:

Thanx!

Usually, I don't, but when I do, it's just a drip icing or shifted powedered sugar.

I think next time, I'll put a lemon flavored icing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.