Why do pic uploads fail?

suziquzie

I'm trying to post a couple pics and the uploads keep failing. I've had this problem once before....... its like it just doesnt like those pics because its from the same camera, from the same files as the rest. :unsure:
Help?

Biskit

I think Doc's got an automatic censor built into this forum so none of "those" (ahem) pics make it on. :whistling:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Size might be the problem by that I talking file KB size. Most camera jpg files as much to big to just attach so you can resize them down to say 640x480 or 800x600 then compress them when saving.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
wrong size, wrong format or the server is just jacking up. Try uploading to photobucket and pasting the url instead.

Lefty

Yank
The best way to do it is to resize the pictures to 800x600 and then upload. Infranview is the easiest to work with and its 100% free. http://www.irfanview.com/

Its as simple as open the picture with infranview, press crtl+r (resize short cut key) select the 800x600 from the column on the right. ctrl+s (save shortcut key) and give it a new name. Good luck.

suziquzie

I resized them... which is weird because I've never had to before....

OH I wonder if the camera takes pics at a different size on a different setting.
I used the outdoor setting on these, I'm usually on the people setting.

Lefty

Yank
I resized them... which is weird because I've never had to before....

OH I wonder if the camera takes pics at a different size on a different setting.
I used the outdoor setting on these, I'm usually on the people setting.
Yes, you can change the size of the pictures by changing the settings on the camera. I don't like doing that, because I like having the pictures big. Resizing is easy when going smaller, it does not work very well going to larger than the size the picture was taken.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Did resizing work for you Suzie?
I have seen some pics that cannot be loaded no matter the size. Something with the format is not recognized by VB. If it is a size issue normally you will see a little not at the top of the little window after you try to upload. It will say the pic is to big.

suziquzie

I didn't get a note, but re-sizing did work.
I'm pretty sure it was just in how DH set up the different settings on the camera itself. He's the genius. Me, I'll stick to food. :)
Thanks.

FryBoy

Rather than attaching the photos, upload them to a photo sharing site (I like www.smugmug.com), then go to the site, find the photo you want to add to your NCT post, right click on it, select "copy image location" from the menu (Vista -- may be different in other versions of Windows), then go back to your NCT post and click on the photo icon (a yellow box on the menu bar that's apparently supposed to resemble a postcard with a mountain and the sun), paste the photo location there, and voila! This allows you to select the size of the photo you insert, and the display quality seems to be better than with attached photos.

Like this:

532201364_KKsmt-XL.jpg