what is your signature dish ...

Love2"Q"

not sure if this thread already exits i did a search and could not find anything .. so .. do you have a certain dish that when friends and family come
over that they always want ?
i have a couple ...
ribs .. everyone wants some ..
mac and cheese .. passed down recipe that i have tweaked ..
herb crusted beef tenderloin with gorgonzola cream sauce ..
my wife ..
has to be her tater sallad .. its awesome ..
and her deviled eggs ...

how about you ..

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't really don't think I have a signature dish. I do have a few personal favorites but never thought to ask those I serve to which was better.

chowhound

I'm a hermit, so I can only speak for myself.
And myself thinks that I don't have a signature dish either. I like most anything I cook. I really need to get out more ;^)

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Steamed Red Snapper A La Hong Kong, and it's not my recipe, at least not originally. I just made a few little changes so on the referenced site I posted the one I use. :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Steamed Red Snapper A La Hong Kong, and it's not my recipe, at least not originally. I just made a few little changes so on the referenced site I posted the one I use. :)

That looks good Buzz how would it work with other fish or have you tried it. Red Snapper is hard to come by here. Oh and I saved it Buzz.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
That looks good Buzz how would it work with other fish or have you tried it. Red Snapper is hard to come by here. Oh and I saved it Buzz.

Joe, although I haven't tried it, frozen cold water fish like halibut and haddock should work great and be readily available.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Buzz and I figure it might work well with other fish also. We get good salmon, tuna and dolphin steaks and fillets from time to time. We can usually find halibut and code here as well.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Mine has got to be fried shrimp/fish dinner with homemade tartar sauce and all the trimmings. Hubby's is spaghetti or steaks.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Mine has got to be fried shrimp/fish dinner with homemade tartar sauce and all the trimmings. Hubby's is spaghetti or steaks.

How do you make your tartar sauce? I can't find any store brand that we like and hubby hates capers so we can't have that, lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are a few I make from time to time.

My Crab Sauce:

1/2 cup mayonnaise (Miracle Whip)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely chopped (I like the roasted)
3 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons Creole mustard
1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1 teaspoon capers, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons parsley leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended Crystal's)
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Chop all vegetable ingredients. Place in bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly then refrigerate.

Lemon Aioli:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped chives
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients together.

Remoulade:
2 cups mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons cornichons or sour gherkins, minced
3 tablespoons capers, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped tarragon leaves
1 1/2 anchovies, minced
Several dashes hot pepper sauce
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings

Blonde Remoulade:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Chop all vegetable ingredients. Place in bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly then refrigerate.

TARRAGON TARTAR SAUCE
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
3 shallots, minced
4 cornichons (French sour gherkins, available at specialty foods shops and some supermarkets), minced
18 green olives (preferably brine-cured), pitted and chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon leaves
1 tablespoon cider vinegar, or to taste
Hot pepper sauce, to taste
In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, the shallots, the cornichons, the olives, the tarragon, the vinegar, and the Tabasco until the tartar sauce is combined well. (The sauce may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled).

Lemon Dill Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
Mustard creme fraiche:
1/2 cup creme fraiche
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon honey mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 drops hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
In a saute pan over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil and when hot, saute the crab cakes on 1 side. Do not crowd the pan. Do it in batches if serving several. Add a nut of whole butter to the pan and cook the cakes until brown on the other side. Place in the oven for about 2 to 3 minutes to heat through.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
spinach pies, cheese and potato blintz, mocha brownies, garlic bread

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Here are a few I make from time to time.

My Crab Sauce:

1/2 cup mayonnaise (Miracle Whip)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely chopped (I like the roasted)
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Lemon Aioli:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped chives
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients together.

Remoulade:
2 cups mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons cornichons or sour gherkins, minced
3 tablespoons capers, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped tarragon leaves
1 1/2 anchovies, minced
Several dashes hot pepper sauce
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings

Blonde Remoulade:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice

TARRAGON TARTAR SAUCE
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
3 shallots, minced
4 cornichons (French sour gherkins, available at specialty foods shops and some supermarkets), minced
18 green olives (preferably brine-cured), pitted and chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon leaves
1 tablespoon cider vinegar, or to taste
Hot pepper sauce, to taste
In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, the shallots, the cornichons, the olives, the tarragon, the vinegar, and the Tabasco until the tartar sauce is combined well. (The sauce may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled).

Lemon Dill Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
Mustard creme fraiche:
1/2 cup creme fraiche
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon honey mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 drops hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
In a saute pan over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil and when hot, saute the crab cakes on 1 side. Do not crowd the pan. Do it in batches if serving several. Add a nut of whole butter to the pan and cook the cakes until brown on the other side. Place in the oven for about 2 to 3 minutes to heat through.

Great recipes Joe! Thanks for sharing them :thumb:

buckytom

Grill Master
great stuff, josie. thanks. :thumb:

i don't have one signature dish, but i'm known by family, friends and co-workers for a few.

i've been making sunday gravy forever. and shrimp and scallop fra diavolo.

then there's my carolina style pulled pork, daube provencale, london broil with bok choy sauce, split pea soup, manhattan clam chowder, stuffed baked trout, chicken parm, sausage and peppers, armstrong's pork chops, pork tenderloin with mustard and fennel, two potato soup, lemony smothered chicken ...

hmmm, i'm sure there's more. gotta think. i can produce recipes for most if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
How do you make your tartar sauce? I can't find any store brand that we like and hubby hates capers so we can't have that, lol

Very finely minced onion and dill pickles mixed with mayo, garlic powder, and lemon juice.

Lefty

Yank
1. Chili, the first meal I made for shipmates and friends. They actually loved it.

2. Crabcakes. A friend showed me how to make them, and since I have a local source for fresh crabmeat I have been mastering my own version of this wonderful dish.

3. Cajun Vinegrette. My DW will give me a kitchen pass when I make this for her. She loves it when I set it up with a chefs salad.

4. Chicken Finger/Hadock fried in beer batter. So easy and so good and can be customized with any seasoning blend. ei Cajun, jerk seasoning, or even a garlic blend.

5. Yellow Rice, Pinto beans in sofrito sauce & Pork chops seasoned with adobo. (Puerto Rican Style)

6. Rejenos (learned from my mother) stewed pork stuffed in potato dough and deep fried. My mom can form these lagre spheres in seconds.

High Cheese

Saucier
Eggplant Parmesan - http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955&highlight=eggplant

EggplantParmesan002.jpg

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
5. Yellow Rice, Pinto beans in sofrito sauce & Pork chops seasoned with adobo. (Puerto Rican Style)

6. Rejenos (learned from my mother) stewed pork stuffed in potato dough and deep fried. My mom can form these lagre spheres in seconds.

Lefty - Have you posted recipes for these two? They look delish.

Thank You

Andy

High Cheese

Saucier
Good job, Jeeks. Makes me want to try it.
And good job picking just one dish.

Thanks. Yeah, the recipe should be listed here somewhere. It's very easy once you get the knack of frying the eggplant. You'll never eat another eggplant parm, I can assure you that.

EDIT: Just posted the link.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mi signature dish? There would be 3. My Taco salad, my otato salad and my cheesecake.

They are amonf the first things that i made when I started cooking and they remain the dishes that I am asked for when I offer to bring something. The two salads are vey easy and I do nt really know why the folks that I have given the recipe to get different results. The cheesecake recipe was given to me by one of my customers a very long time ago. I have had favorable comparisons with juniors in Brooklyn.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Since I can only make about 3 meals consistently well, they are my signature dishes! Pan-seared steaks, tomato basil soup, and banana pudding.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
1. Chili, the first meal I made for shipmates and friends. They actually loved it.

2. Crabcakes. A friend showed me how to make them, and since I have a local source for fresh crabmeat I have been mastering my own version of this wonderful dish.

3. Cajun Vinegrette. My DW will give me a kitchen pass when I make this for her. She loves it when I set it up with a chefs salad.

4. Chicken Finger/Hadock fried in beer batter. So easy and so good and can be customized with any seasoning blend. ei Cajun, jerk seasoning, or even a garlic blend.

the adobo you use - is it the spice blend or the chili paste? i use the spice blend but have never tried the wet tomato chili paste.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peep - I use the Adobo spice blend a lot. I have the red cap one, there are several.
i do also. years ago they had an adobo blend with pepper and vinegar. i haven't been able to find that one in years, i guess they stopped making it but the vinegar added some nice flavor!!