Making Gritz

Derek

Banned
Tomorrow I will be making grits with cheese, But I want to know if any of you can give me any tips to make them taste really good for a second try?

My X-ole lady let me taste some grits she and I didn't care for them, However the grits were pretty much a mush and not really cooked in anything.​

So any tips guys and gals?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Tomorrow I will be making grits with cheese, But I want to know if any of you can give me any tips to make them taste really good for a second try?

My X-ole lady let me taste some grits she and I didn't care for them, However the grits were pretty much a mush and not really cooked in anything.​

So any tips guys and gals?

Garlic and thyme?

Derek

Banned
Sass, Join the club ma'am, I'm confused too. I just don't want bad tasting grids as I had before. I was thinking about a cup of cheese to 2 cups of gritz and a teaspoon of Habenero hot sauce.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Grits are a mush. They're not like rice pilaf. Add some salt, butter and cheese. You might like a creamy grits better. Try this

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Sass, Join the club ma'am, I'm confused too. I just don't want bad tasting grids as I had before. I was thinking about a cup of cheese to 2 cups of gritz and a teaspoon of Habenero hot sauce.

:dizzy::tongue:
Well, you said you were thinking more or less along the lines of rice pilaf, so why not add--

1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
green onion (scallions) or yellow onion

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
If you didn't care for grits, maybe you could try polenta. It's the same stuff but ground a little finer and cooked differently. Lots of people who don't like grits really like polenta. I think it has a lot to do with mouth feel, too.

Derek

Banned
Grits are a mush. They're not like rice pilaf. Add some salt, butter and cheese. You might like a creamy grits better. Try this

:dizzy::tongue:
Well, you said you were thinking more or less along the lines of rice pilaf, so why not add--

1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
green onion (scallions) or yellow onion
Thank you everyone for your input.

I'll let everyone know how they taste, I'm aslo going to make mama's hush pupies this weekend.

Derek

Banned
If you didn't care for grits, maybe you could try polenta. It's the same stuff but ground a little finer and cooked differently. Lots of people who don't like grits really like polenta. I think it has a lot to do with mouth feel, too.
I think it was the way my x lady cooked them, All she did was add boiling water to the mix and brown suger.

Derek

Banned
ha.. if I were you Derek, I'd make the best tasting, outta this world grits recipe, then send a pic to the x-old lady and tell her to kiss your grits.:D
LOL, Nice one!

I'm actually going to use Mama's then add a few things like Habenero sauce, chunks.

Derek

Banned
Where is the rest of the rest of the thread? It seems it has taken a vacation to the south and it didn't invite me !

Derek

Banned
Grits taste weird but very good though, I'll make it again.

I'm going to try different recipes, And I hope grits is a stick to your rib dish.

I'll need that for college when I get hungry in class!

Here's a couple of pictures to show you my grits turned out good but still a little lumpy but I'll work on that....

501953610_EgiYc-L.jpg

501953587_Twq5W-L.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Where is the rest of the rest of the thread? It seems it has taken a vacation to the south and it didn't invite me !

Looks the same as it did last night Derek.. whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis? :)

BTW, your grits look a-ok to me.. what did you put in/on them?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
You have to have salt, otherwise they will be bland, even if you use brown sugar in them.