Deviled Eggs

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
6 hard boiled Eggs (large)
3 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon mustard (honey mustard is great!)
1 teaspoon vinegar
salt & pepper to taste
paprika (optional)

To boil eggs, place eggs in enough cold water to cover completely, bring to a rolling boil over high heat.

Reduce heat to a lower MEDIUM BOIL and cook an additional 12 minutes.
Promptly chill eggs in ICE WATER until chilled so yolks stay bright yellow...keep adding ice as necessary....rapid chilling helps prevent the "greenish" ring to appear around the yolk. No biggie though.

Remove shells from eggs, and halve lengthwise with a knife.

Carefully remove the yolks, and place in a medium bowl.

Mash yolks with a fork, and add remaining ingredients.

Very carefully spoon mixture back into the egg white halves. Garnish with a light sprinkling of paprika (optional).

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good.
My wife makes the best deviled eggs. She never uses ice to cool them though. She just runs cold water in the pan for a few minutes. I wonder if using ice would really make a difference?
I'll compare her recipe and post differences in a day or two.

KKsMom

Blond Member
A very easy way to get the yolk mixture back into the egg white half is to; instead of mixing the yolk and remaining ingredients in a bowl, mix them in a baggie, cut off a corner of the baggie once everything is mixed well and squeeze the mix back into the egg white halves.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Blondie that is one darn good idea. Like a pastery bag! You dont actually MIX the stuff in there do ya?

KKsMom

Blond Member
Yes, exactly like a pastry bag!!! Sure, you can mix the stuff in the baggie, it would dirty less dishes :D Just be careful not to puncture the bag while you're doing the mixing...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I just got the egg timer below when I purchase a cast iron Lodge wok from amazon.com with a gift certificate I had laying around. I had $5 left so I tried out this egg timer for some reason it caught my eye. I tried it Thanksgiving instead of doing my hard boiled eggs as usual and it gave me the best hard boiled egg I've ever gotten with every egg perfect. I tried it with soft boiled with the same results just prefect. Now I do put my hard boiled eggs in an ice bath after they come out of the hot water to stop the sulfur layer (dark around the yellow) which is what the ice stops.

You just put the timer in the water with the eggs regardless of altitude etc. and it gets black with the red touching the point at which the eggs are done. It was a little over $4 and really neat.

My deviled eggs recipe is also based on 6 eggs. as follows:

6 large eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise - Miracle Whip
1 tablespoon of Mustard - Chinese hot mustard is what I use
1 teaspoon of dill weed
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder -- I fine grind granulated garlic or 1/8 teaspoon fresh roasted garlic -- my favorite
1/8 teaspoon onion flakes or 1 thinly slice piece of onion finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt -- fine ground
fresh ground white pepper
3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
6 dashes Tabasco sauce
1 teaspone of paprika - I used the smoked Spanish hot paprika and the regular for a garnish on top.
1 slice cooked bacon -- crumbled or Bacon salt leaving out the kosher salt above

Attachments

• NorproEggRiteTimer_1.jpg
    NorproEggRiteTimer_1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 165
  • NorproEggRiteTimer_2.jpg
    NorproEggRiteTimer_2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited: