"Favourite" vs. "Favorite", etc.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BT, Vera and ... maybe, chowhound(?): Why do you guys spell "favourite" and "colour" with a "u" tossed in there? :huh:

I thought that was just a British thing. Is it also a New York, New Jersey, Pennsyvania thing?

I've been meaning to ask this for a long time and it just occurred to me to finally write down the question. Honestly, I don't have any hidden agenda or judgement here, I'm really just curious!

Lee

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I write theatre and not theater. It is just how I learned to spell the word. I believe both are considered correct.

chowhound

Not me, Lee, unless it was by accident. Sometimes when I am emailing my Canadian friends back and forth I will slip on one of the "ou" words, but I'm pretty sure I haven't here. I had been meaning to ask Vera if she was Canadian or other nationality because I noticed she did this.

Deelady

Actually I was a manager in a California movie theatre and thats how I spelled it on everything, they must have spelled it the same because I was never corrected and don't remember seeing a difference on our paperwork.....I just always assumed either way was acceptable. :)

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Actually I was a manager in a California movie theatre and thats how I spelled it on everything, they must have spelled it the same because I was never corrected and don't remember seeing a difference on our paperwork.....I just always assumed either way was acceptable. :)

Just joking but perhaps it was because everyone else in CA spoke Spanish and wouldn't have known the difference - just sayin'

joec

Gold Site Supporter
As has often been said American's and English are separated by a common language.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Its the correct spelling!
Right, right..... you're bloody well right.......:lol:
I had to spell it that way when I was in the land of the English.
It stuck. It's what I do.
I like to go to the theatre as it's my favourite thing to do,also like well buttered popcorn for the savoury flavour.
The proper spelling of me name is Lorelei, yet me parents decided on Loralei.
Skipping down the ginnel singing God Save The Queen, or the nearest alley singing God Bless America.:tongue:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Most of the spelling I prefer to use is archaic spelling of common words. Words like behaviour, neighbour, favourite were spelled like this when society was more civilized. I think the combination of letters is ever so much more pleasing.

buckytom

Grill Master
Its the correct spelling!

lolol, mini!
:punk:

before the days of spell checking, my dad performed the task for my siblings and i. since he was raised in ireland and my grandparents were well off, he was able to receive a proper "english" education. therefore he learned to spell the words that way and taught us accordingly.

interestingly, my friends in ireland today have the choice of sending their kids to english speaking schools or irish speaking ones. man, you talk about a spelling bee in the latter. :huh:

the greatest difficulty in learning to spell from my dad was that one of his jobs during his working career was as a teletype operator covering the yankees for the associated press. he would sit in the press box and listen to the play by play, then hammer it into a teletype transmitter almost real-time, to go out on the "wires". so, he would tease us when we asked for the spelling of a word by saying the letters as fast as he would have typed it: around 125 words per minute on average. :bonk:

so, not only do i spell in english, i do it very quickly. probably the reason for so many of my typos.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Right, right..... you're bloody well right.......:lol:
I had to spell it that way when I was in the land of the English.
It stuck. It's what I do.
I like to go to the theatre as it's my favourite thing to do,also like well buttered popcorn for the savoury flavour.
The proper spelling of me name is Lorelei, yet me parents decided on Loralei.
Skipping down the ginnel singing God Save The Queen, or the nearest alley singing God Bless America.:tongue:

Huh? Anybody got a translator here somewhere??? It's like that scene from Austin Powers when he was talking to his dad and nobody (not even the words on the screen) could figure it out...:yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It's a UK thing. Brit english and US english are two different things. Really.

Elevator = Lift

Ask a Brit what those things on a horse are. We call them blinders.....they call them blinkers. There is a TON of differences that my UK proof readers mangle through daily.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
There is also gas/petrol
sidewalk/pavement
trailer/caravan
trunk/boot (referring to a car)

loads of others that can mean totally different things in the two cultures.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's a UK thing. Brit english and US english are two different things. Really.

Elevator = Lift

Ask a Brit what those things on a horse are. We call them blinders.....they call them blinkers. There is a TON of differences that my UK proof readers mangle through daily.

HI KELTIN!!!!!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, each of you to whom my question was directed, have a different reason for spelling the words the way you do, (yes, miniman, I knew YOUR reason, LOL!)

Interesting!

Thanks for the replies!

Lee