Steamed Crabs

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It would have been better if they were closer so I could see exactly what they were doing there.
I have never had them Maryland style, but then I am not sure what Maryland style is? Are they cooked whole and you take them apart yourself?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We used to do Crab Boils all the time. I was impressed the announcer knew to call the lungs Dead Man’s Fingers! We didn’t steam them though, but instead boiled them with Old Bay Crab Boil much like you would boil shrimp or crawfish. It’s a bit of work to get the good meat out of the body. Most of the body is “guts” as she said. Pretty much everything in the middle of the body is throw away material, and the only real meat is on the sides where the leg clusters are. The real fun is eating the claws!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ever you ever get a chance, try a big plate of Fried Crab Claws! Now that is a real treat!!

crab-claws.jpg

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I love crab claws - we have a buffet resturant in town that serves them.

Renfro Jones

Maryland style is steamed, the shell has a lot of different cavities that act like pressure cookers and it keeps the meat from getting soggy. When I lived in Charleston S C they boiled them, there is a significant difference. Summers in Maryland means Steamed crabs, corn on the cob and beer. I've had the stone crab claws in Key West, very good. I'll try and find a better video

GotGarlic

Um, so sorry, but what the hell was all that? A butter knife? Cutting it all up into pieces? No mention of the Washington Monument or the most tasty lump or backfin bits? Maryland style leaves a lot to be desired, imnsho. And btw, they are not Maryland blue crabs, they are Chesapeake Bay blue crabs, and if you *really* want to learn how to pick steamed blue crabs, come to Virginia, and we will show you the way.

z7shysterical.gif

Just joshin' ya, Renfro!

Last edited:

Renfro Jones

Virginia and seafood, I can't see how the two words could be used in the same sentence. Just razzing you back there Garlic, what part of Va are you from?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Ohhh OK steamed instead of boiled. My favorite is still cut up then battered and fried, yum! They do it that way at the Chinese buffet we go to, always with the blue crab and it is great. Very tasty, moist, and easy to get out.

Love2"Q"

Ohhh OK steamed instead of boiled. My favorite is still cut up then battered and fried, yum! They do it that way at the Chinese buffet we go to, always with the blue crab and it is great. Very tasty, moist, and easy to get out.

oh the horror ...

GotGarlic

Virginia and seafood, I can't see how the two words could be used in the same sentence. Just razzing you back there Garlic, what part of Va are you from?

South Hampton Roads, where the ocean meets the bay :smile: We have some friends who have a big crab pickin' every year. They have a specialized table for it - a 55-gallon drum with a round wooden tabletop attached to it, that has a doughnut hole in the middle. People sit around the table and throw the shells, etc., into the drum in the middle of the table.

I consider it more of a social event than a meal, though, it takes so long to get enough meat out of those crabs. Love that sweet meat, though.

Renfro Jones

South Hampton Roads, where the ocean meets the bay :smile: We have some friends who have a big crab pickin' every year. They have a specialized table for it - a 55-gallon drum with a round wooden tabletop attached to it, that has a doughnut hole in the middle. People sit around the table and throw the shells, etc., into the drum in the middle of the table.

I consider it more of a social event than a meal, though, it takes so long to get enough meat out of those crabs. Love that sweet meat, though.

Friend of mine owns a Crab House down the road and will only serve crabs from the Chester or Wye rivers, $80 dollars a dozen for the jumbos, I have yet to eat 6 of them, huge crabs that are packed with the nice yellow musturd (fat ) Never a paper shell or lite crab. Plenty of lite beer.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The best tasting crabs I've ever had as just straight by themselves are Dungeness in Washington state and Stone Crab claws in Florida. Crabs from the else ware are also good but I've never cared for King Crab for some reason, go figure.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I gotta get me some crab nao!

thats going to be my new signature HC..i gotta get me some crabs..lmao

just kidding... i am really not a fan of crab no matter what way it is done...yes i know i am sinning by saying this... just not one of my favorites but i keep trying it hoping someone can cook it right..

but i do like crab cakes.