ISO Clilli Rellenos TNT Recipe

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Does anyone have a good recipe. Not too bready. I am mostly concerned about the coating for the pepper.

Thank You

Andy C

FryBoy

I haven't made them for years, but the recipe in the Sunset Mexican Cook Book is excellent. I'd post it, but it has several variations. I'll PM you with a copy.

FryBoy

Here's one I got from Acapulco y Los Arcos Restaurant in Pasadena on a stenciled handout they gave to customers probably 30+ years ago. It's similar to the Sunset recipe.

The sauce is good but on the mild side -- you could use canned enchilada sauce or bottled salsa instead.

And Doc -- there's not a copyright notation anywhere on it -- clearly public domain.

Chiles Rellenos

8 green chiles (canned, whole)
8+ ounces Jack cheese, cut in strips or wedges
4 eggs, separated
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour (plus more for dusting chiles)
oil for frying

Cut a slit in each chile. Insert a strip of cheese (the more the better) and close slit. Dust completely with flour and chill thoroughly [handwritten note on recipe says to put in refrigerator on wax paper].

Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until very stiff. Beat egg yolks and salt well. Add yolks to whites, sprinkle 2 tablespoons flour over eggs and fold together lightly.

Dip each chile in the batter, then slide it into about ½ inch of hot oil in a large frying pan [Sunset says to put the battered chile on a plate and then slide it off the plate and into the oil]. Be sure each chile is well covered with batter; cover any bare spots with more batter. Turn chiles right away and continue frying until both sides are golden brown. Don't crowd them in the pan. When done, drain on paper towels [I recall keeping them warm in a 200 degree oven until all were done]. Serve hot, with sauce or plain.

Chiles Rellenos Sauce

1 cup onion, diced
1 garlic clove, mashed with ½ teaspoon salt
1 cup green bell pepper, diced
2 cups canned tomatoes, mashed
4 cups broth (chicken or pork) or water
¼ Teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon oregano, crushed

Cook onion, garlic and bell pepper in 2 tablespoons of oil until soft. Add remaining ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes. Mix about 2 tablespoons flour with water until smooth; add to boiling sauce and cook for 3 or 4 minutes until thickened.

The chiles rellenos may be made ahead and refrigerated. To reheat, place in 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.

ted bailey

Here's one I got from Acapulco y Los Arcos Restaurant in Pasadena on a stenciled handout they gave to customers probably 30+ years ago. It's similar to the Sunset recipe.

The sauce is good but on the mild side -- you could use canned enchilada sauce or bottled salsa instead.

And Doc -- there's not a copyright notation anywhere on it -- clearly public domain.

Chiles Rellenos

8 green chiles (canned, whole)
8+ ounces Jack cheese, cut in strips or wedges
4 eggs, separated
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour (plus more for dusting chiles)
oil for frying

Cut a slit in each chile. Insert a strip of cheese (the more the better) and close slit. Dust completely with flour and chill thoroughly [handwritten note on recipe says to put in refrigerator on wax paper].

Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until very stiff. Beat egg yolks and salt well. Add yolks to whites, sprinkle 2 tablespoons flour over eggs and fold together lightly.

Dip each chile in the batter, then slide it into about ½ inch of hot oil in a large frying pan [Sunset says to put the battered chile on a plate and then slide it off the plate and into the oil]. Be sure each chile is well covered with batter; cover any bare spots with more batter. Turn chiles right away and continue frying until both sides are golden brown. Don't crowd them in the pan. When done, drain on paper towels [I recall keeping them warm in a 200 degree oven until all were done]. Serve hot, with sauce or plain.

Chiles Rellenos Sauce

1 cup onion, diced
1 garlic clove, mashed with ½ teaspoon salt
1 cup green bell pepper, diced
2 cups canned tomatoes, mashed
4 cups broth (chicken or pork) or water
¼ Teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon oregano, crushed

Cook onion, garlic and bell pepper in 2 tablespoons of oil until soft. Add remaining ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes. Mix about 2 tablespoons flour with water until smooth; add to boiling sauce and cook for 3 or 4 minutes until thickened.

The chiles rellenos may be made ahead and refrigerated. To reheat, place in 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.

Thanks for the post, My wife and I tried it last night and it was awesome Thanks!