Bacon wrapped scallops with maple syrup

Ian M.

New to me, anyway, and far different than anything I'd ever eaten before! My sister-in-law made these yesterday as an appetizer and they were incredible - done in a way I'd never have imagined. I don't actually have a recipe, per se, but I watched what she did and this is the result:

Bacon-wrapped scallops with maple syrup

Take one good-sized container of sea scallops, wrap each scallop in bacon and drizzle the entire lot with maple syrup. Place this all under the broiler for a few minutes until they're golden brown. The result is out of this world delicious! I could have made an entire meal of just these for Thanksgiving dinner! Boy, were they ever good..............and I'd have never thought of putting maple syrup on seafood. Fantastic!!!!!

Ian :bounce:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Re: Something new with scallops

bacon and scallops have a quantity of natural sugars.

the maple syrup - ps: the real stuff - stuff the chemical flavored junk - adds sweetness, but that's not the major thing - sweet is as sweet does - it's the maple flavor that dings the bell with an 'invisible' sweet complementary component.

>>good size container
I'm sure I've misinterpreted that - it ain't the size of the box, it's the size of the scallop what counts....

>>make an entire meal . . .
we do that right regular.
scallops and linguini, cream sauce; side of something green; add bread product.

I've got a glazed carrot technique with maple syrup you might like.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

Take one good-sized container of sea scallops, wrap each scallop in bacon and drizzle the entire lot with maple syrup. Place this all under the broiler for a few minutes until they're golden brown.

Awright, Ian, you have my attention. Questions: The bacon wrap - just long enough to circumferate (I may have just made a new meaning to the word) or use the entire bacon strip? Pin with a toothpick or self stick? Did your SIL use a drip pan? How hot, the standard 350F?

There are plenty of fresh and otherwise scallops around here and this recipe (maple syrup - get out!!!!!) HAS GOT TO BE TRIED.

I'll use my wife as a test vehicle.......

Ian M.

Okay, gentlemen - here's what Moira had to say. To begin with, she got large scallops in a large container at the fish market in town. She then wrapped them in strips of bacon - all the way around and self-stuck. As well, no 350 degree oven and no drip pan - she BROILED them under a broiler flame in her oven, using the broiler pan to do the deed. The scallops are placed on the broiler pan, needess to say, with the scallops sitting on the "grill" part of the broiler pan and the grease obviously falling through that into the bottom part to be disposed of later. As well, the excess maple syrup dripped down through, too. The real stuff! Nothing fake about the syrup we all use in our family - it comes from a maple grove up in St. Johnsbury, Vermont, fresh as a daisy every spring! We get the gallon cans of it and store it in cold to keep it good. My brother has even gone up there and helped to tap the trees during sugaring off season and loves doing it. We all love the smell of the sugar house and the air during sugar season and one of my favorite things is snow candy - raw maple poured on a pan packed with fresh, clean snow and left to harden, then eaten out of hand. Delicious!! Getting back to those scallops - As far as what I posted before, Moira (SIL) says that's really all there is to it. And trust me, those little morsels are to absolutely die for! Yes, sir! Honest to John drizzled in maple syrup! No lie! Too good to believe! :bounce:

Ian

Ian M.

Just to be sure I've covered all the bases, Moira didn't give me a time frame for the broiling process - she's kind of a "seat of the pants" type of cook and said to just leave them in there, checking now and then so they don't burn and let them get golden brown - be your own judge of how long that takes. As far as the bacon - use an entire strip to wrap around the little critters - she took a knife and cut each bacon piece in half lengthwise so that it wasn't quite so wide a strip to wrap around the scallop. I don't suppose using toothpicks would be such a bad idea for serving - although she didn't use any the other day. As to making a meal out of them - I specifically meant, in lieu of turkey and all the trimmings, I could have made my Thanksgiving Dinner of all maple-bacon scallops. I love just about anything that tastes of maple! And using DW as a "test vehicle" is a cool idea, too. I'll have to try some of my Saturday night poker gathering meals out on her first and if it doesn't hurt her, the poker buddies should survive it. I like it!

(Ny crouched and bent over position is the result of ducking the flying debris that all the ladies are going to throw at me for that last crack, huh?

Ian :bonk:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

The maple syrup was too sweet for our tastes. i believe we'll be permanently making the bacon wraps sans syrup though. In addition, we were wandering around Trader Joe's and found this other use for maple syrup:

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg