Frugal Eats Forum

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Carolina had this idea and I thought it a good one. What do you think? Please show support by posting your own frugal eats ideas.
We all can stand to save a few bucks. I bet this is a popular forum.

The byline currently is:
"Pass the good deals on to your buddies at NCT."

We can do better than that. Please suggest a replacement byline for this forum.

Edit to add:
5/20/11 @ 8:40EDT
Phiddle came through with:
Making the most of your food dollar

I just put that in place. Thanks Phiddle!!!!!!!

Carolina Cooking

well I just bought whole fryers .89lb. 10 in fact. I load up on sale's.

gal said to me 'wow thats a lot of chicken, you must be having a big BBQ coming up'

I said no its just me.:w00t:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Keltin started a thread about cooking meals based on supermarket weekly sale items. I can't remember the title at the moment BUT that would be a perfect addition for this new forum!! Maybe it can be moved here.

Carolina Cooking

not everyone would be interested in doing this, in fact I never thought in a zillion years I would make my own bread. Or pizza dough/crust.

I was buying bread & breakfast bread for $5. a loaf. sometimes that loaf was really small too.

Pizza dough is maybe a $1 to make.

bread , don't know $$ but I sure do like knowing what is in my bread. Have you read the ingred on bread lol.

That dill bread I made last week OMG sooooo good. Made one huge loaf too. I plan on making it again.

I used to buy frozen biscuits too. No more. Its fast & easy & so mch better to make your own.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
not everyone would be interested in doing this, in fact I never thought in a zillion years I would make my own bread. Or pizza dough/crust.

I was buying bread & breakfast bread for $5. a loaf. sometimes that loaf was really small too.

Pizza dough is maybe a $1 to make.

bread , don't know $$ but I sure do like knowing what is in my bread. Have you read the ingred on bread lol.

That dill bread I made last week OMG sooooo good. Made one huge loaf too. I plan on making it again.

I used to buy frozen biscuits too. No more. Its fast & easy & so mch better to make your own.
Reminds me of another thing I buy in bulk at Costco. Yeast. Red Devil (I think) is about $4 for a 2 pound brick. It will freeze for years.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I bought 3 whole chickens on sale. When I use them I cut them into pieces for frying, roasting, whatever. I take the inards, neck, back, excess skin, bones and fat, place in pot with salt, peppercorns, ONLY the bottom of the parsley stems, ONLY the green leek tops, unpeeled carrot, unpeeled onion (cut roots off leave shin). Cover with water bring to boil then lower and gently simmer for 2 hours. Then I use this for soups (I did this the other day when I cut up my chicken that I fried then I used the stock for my wonton soup last night) and gravies etc.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I bought 3 whole chickens on sale. When I use them I cut them into pieces for frying, roasting, whatever. I take the inards, neck, back, excess skin, bones and fat, place in pot with salt, peppercorns, ONLY the bottom of the parsley stems, ONLY the green leek tops, unpeeled carrot, unpeeled onion (cut roots off leave shin). Cover with water bring to boil then lower and gently simmer for 2 hours. Then I use this for soups (I did this the other day when I cut up my chicken that I fried then I used the stock for my wonton soup last night) and gravies etc.
That is the way I do it. When chickens are on sale I buy a bunch, cut them up, the backs and necks get oven browned and made into stock with unpeeled onions, carrots, and celery. I then simmer this stock down to a glace and freeze them in ice cube trays.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think that Ingles grocery stores are probably a regional thing but they have whole Tyson chickens on sale for .79/lb this week. The sale runs through tomorrow. I've got to make some room in my freezer to put some.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
my best 'frugal' tip is: watch for the "buy one get one free" deals.

example: I hate freezing meats; but I have found pork tenderloin not to suffer so much from freezing. dunno, could be my imagination, but two whole tenderloins per package, normal pkg price about $15; bogof $7.50 per pkg; for two people - we eat half a tenderloin (I cut them in half before freezing...) so that 4 meals per pkg @ $7.50 or $1.875 per person-meal for really top notch stuff.

I refuse to freeze 'fresh' chicken or ground beef. feel free to shoot the messenger, it's just "me"

there's a lot of stuff our market uses as buy-one-get-one-free loss leaders.
bacon, frozen shrimp, cheese blocks, etc. some keep, some don't - potatoes & onions I might buy on a get one free deal - depending on pkg size.

I don't buy 'prepared food/meals' - but there's dozens of entries there.

oh, ice cream. don't ask, it's embarrassing . . .

cookingirl

When I freeze meats, I use Freezer Wrap and then wrap it on tin foil and place in a ziplock freezer bag..seems to work..

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i spend ruthlessly yet budget on items like by getting 'iggle's market district stuffs, like bulk spices; then again i'll drop $1.79 on a single pop, $20.00 on deli meat, get dry-aged steaks & foriegn butter/cheeses of many sorts so i vary. the strip district ain't many more than a coupla minutes from me, so i can get an abundance of very great items quite on the cheap so it balances itself eventually!~

Leni

My local Vons has a clearance sale section in the meat section. Every day they fill it with meats that are close to the sell by date. Today I bought a tri tip for 50% off, two packages of New York strip steak at 30% off, and two packages of chicken breast steaks for 30% off. I'll freeze what needs to be frozen or it will go bad and use the rest over the net few days. I have a Foodsaver which works very well.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
It's A Wrap- Lollie :)
----------------------------
Buy some flour tortillas.
Buy some fresh vegs.
Buy a small block of Philly and let it come to room temp.

Stir fry your vegs 'til tender/crisp.
Take the Philly and add some seasoned salt, garlic and herbs, mixing it well.
Spread it on warmed tortillas, add vegs.
Roll up.
Play around with the vegs you choose.
Best wrap ever eaten, and frugal too.:wink: