Easy Fire Roasted Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
This time of year, I don't get the opportunity to use the barbecue grill for roasting peppers. I have a gas stove/oven, so I can do it inside as long as you don't walk away from it.

Keep the flame lower than high, but higher than medium. Hard to see the flame here in the picture, sorry.

January2010048.jpg

If you have lots of peppers to roast, you can use all burners, but I wouldn't put more than three peppers per burner. Let the flame char the skin. You'll hear sizzling and crackling, and even smell the burning. Don't turn them till the side is black.

January2010049.jpg

You may have to move them around a bit to insure that the entire side gets roasted. Use long tongs to turn them. If you use a fork you'll prick them open and liquid will drip out, interfering with the flame and making a huge mess.

When all sides are sufficiently blackened, place them into a bowl with a plate (or any similar vehicle, a cover is necessary) over it. The cover helps the pepper to steam a bit, which makes removing the skins easire.

When they are cool enough to handle, rub the outer skin off (you can do this under gently running water, it helps). Pull the stem off and turn the pepper inside out to remove the vein and seeds. Slice.

January2010057.jpg

These will keep for 5 days in the refrigerator.

Original post for comments; http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=164035#post164035

Status
Not open for further replies.