Help with grill's rotisserie and beef roast.

buckytom

Grill Master
i bought a big, untrimmed eye round roast at the market the other day, and i wanted to cook it using my grill's rotisserie.

i've never used my rotisserie before as it requires a.c. and there is no outlet back where my grill resides. but, i'm going to run an extension cord out to it tonight or sunday, and hopefully get this done before i end up just cutting the meat into manageable steaks.

does anyone have any experience with a rotisserie burner? the rot. burner looks like a long thin searing burner mounted on the back wall of the grill.
my grill has one, and i was wondering if i should use it alone, or should i use the regular burners as well to bring up the ambient temp?

what temp should my grill be to cook this beast properly to medium rare? the thickness will determine the amount of time.

should i put it on the grill first to sear or make grill marks?

any favored rubs or marinades?

any rotisserie tricks or tips?

tia.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I just read through the manual for my grill and it says not to use the main burners, just the rotisserie burner.

Here are my instructions:
1) Allow at least 1" space between the burner and the food
2) Put a pan under it to make for easier cleanup.
3) Add BBQ sauce or glaze only during the last 10 minutes to keep from burning.
4) Choose tender cuts of meat and poultry

Beef Roasts, Rib Eye, Sirloin Tip, Boneless Rib 4-6 pounds -
medium rare 15-20 minutes per pound (145 degrees F)
medium 20-25 minutes per pound (160 degrees F)

Chicken 3-6 pounds
Breast 15-20 minutes per pound (170 degrees F)
Thigh 25-30 minutes per pound (180 degrees F)

Turkey, whole 7-10 pounds
Breast 11-20 minutes per pound (170 degrees F)
Thigh 11-20 minutes per pound (180 degrees F)

Lamb
Boneless leg 4-7 pounds
Medium 20-25 minutes per pound (160 degrees F)

Pork
Loin Roast, boneless 4-6 pounds
medium 20-23 minutes per pound (160 degrees F)

Turn the rotisserie off when thermometer reaches 5 degrees lower than desired temperature. Continue rotating with hood closed for 10 minutes before carving.

Rotisserie reaches cooking temp in about a minute. It is not necessary to preheat.

I haven't used mine yet but I hope this info will help.

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
i can't see it, qsis. :mellow:

i'm going to be cooking it tomorrow, so i'll be looking over rubs and marinades today. i'm not sure if i'll put it in a wet marinade tonight, or a dry rub in the morning.

i'm leaning towards my old standby rub of dried herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, and parsley), paprika, granulated garlic, maggi sauce, black pepper, and onion powder.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Lee probably has her hands full between the BBQ competition and the thunderstorms and tornado watches so she may not be able to answer but I think this is the recipe she was trying to post:
Magnificent Marinade