What's cooking NCT Sunday 3/5/2017 - Saturday 3/11/2017

Dogboa

Wienerschnitzel, rotkohl, spaetzle and onion gravy.

picture.php

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Re: What's cooking NCT Sunday 2/26/2017 - Saturday 3/4/2017

Made a big pot of Chili yesterday, and a really busy salad.....

Today will be Cincinnati Chili , three-way !

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Wow, all those meals look wonderful, guys!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

we have a nearby Amish Market - I go there for dry cured bacon (YUM!) - DW likes various chow-chow / pickled scruff - an on-site flour to loaf bakery with a super white loaf - but they put it in plastic bags and then it rains inside the plastic - so I only buy it when it's still cooling and have it put in a paper bag. they think I'm crazy; well, except for one older woman, she never blinks at my request - she knows what evil moisture in a plastic bag lurks . . . .

the bacon man also has a mean chipped beef for SOS - which I did last night over soft italian toast. extremely simple - 3 T butter + 3 T AP flour to make a roux, expand with light cream, add fresh ground pepper, thin with milk, add 1/4 lb chopped chipped beef. obviously you need a good chipped beef - ranks right up there in the comfort food zone with mac&cheese.

another butcher vendor has bratwurst. done tried it now several times. el bombo. wurst is like scrapple - it's a concept more than a recipe and one either likes that source or one does not . . .

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Sass Muffin, my husband and I have dined at KOC in the past for a fish fry during Lent, but we much prefer the Friday fish fry at The Eagles. The food is so much better there!

I've had it from the Eagles before too - as well as the American Legion.
The Legion uses a cornmeal batter.
Don't care for it really.

Johnny West

I miss good locker plant chipped beef - can't find it out here.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I made shake n bake pork chops and baked beans for the others.

I had cottage cheese with a little Lawry's seasoning salt and mandarin oranges.
Had the 24+ hour stomach flu :glare:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
This was our Sunday dinner. The first post in this thread was our Saturday's dinner. Apparently, somebody moved it from where it was originally posted in last week's dinner thread. Anyway, finished porchetta, potato/fennel/onion/gruyere gratin and sauteed swiss chard.

picture.php

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Yesterday's Cincinnati - Style Chili --

Three-way for the Warden.....

Four-Way for me ...

Of course, the Chili recipe is not the classic Cincinnati recipe (mine has beans, for instance, and no chocolate, ) so this is a Cincinnati-STYLE Chili

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Our dinner Monday, 3/6

picture.php

A double creme brie, aged gouda, Papillion Roquefort, a wedge of Parm R, plus some honeycomb, a sour cherry/sweet onion chutney, homemade rosemary/pecan/raisin/flaxseed/sesame seed bread toasts, country bread toasts and Ritz.

We were also to have the last 2 pieces of a foie gras torchon I had made a while back that were vacu-packed and frozen, along with a parsley/celery leaf salad with a caramel/black pepper drizzle, but someone couldn't wait to dive into the cheese plate after I got it set up, so we ended up skipping that.

Johnny West

I get a text about 1:30 AM (woke me up) from the mrs saying she's bringing home hospital food for dinner tonight. This should be interesting. I didn't look in the refer to see what it is and will wait till she gets up (works nights so schedule is messed up).

Johnny West

It was quite good; jerked chicken, Jamaican rice, broccoli, and German chocolate cake for dessert. I'd never had jerked chicken before and would like to try making it myself this summer.

Attachments

• ########Chicken Jerk.JPG
    ########Chicken Jerk.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 140

Dogboa

Last night was the other half of the oxtail ragu from the freezer, served over Barilla (our favorite dried pasta) rigatoni with a side of Swiss chard. The chard was cooked down in some garlic and red pepper flake infused olive oil. When Karen made the ragu, it was the first time we tried oxtail. It will be made again!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Last night was the other half of the oxtail ragu from the freezer, served over Barilla (our favorite dried pasta) rigatoni with a side of Swiss chard. The chard was cooked down in some garlic and red pepper flake infused olive oil. When Karen made the ragu, it was the first time we tried oxtail. It will be made again!

I do an oxtail in one form or another about twice a year.... I get mine from the local Amish Market. They are pretty cheap @ 3.49 per lb. considering the fact that all of their other meats are about 15% higher than other retail markets.

Check out my favorite recipes at

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14436&highlight=oxtail+stew

and

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20252&highlight=Braised+oxtails

Last night was a Ham steak, with Sweet Taters and Peas..

Tonight will be a shrimp dish of some sort...

Johnny West

I've been getting some nice beef shanks at WinCo and they are almost the price of a chuck roast. I use them for braising or in chili.

I did go to WinCo yesterday and got a nice chuck roast that I will do tonight; onions, carrots, and potatoes.

Last night was another hospital meal for me - the night cooks (2 men) are the best and their bbq ribs, greens, and rice is what I had to go with my salad. The greens were excellent.

Last edited:

Dogboa

Veal shank was in the Penn Dutch online ad, so I picked up a couple packages. They don't often have them, so I grab them when they do. I feel some Osso Buco coming on!:thumb::D

Ironman

🍺
Tonight is taco Wednesday! :readytoeat: My cold was kicking my ass last night and I didn't feel like cooking anything...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
We stopped at Culver's on the way back from Dayton today- mushroom and swiss butter burger,onion rings and a chocolate malt for me.
:blush:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
One pan meal: pan fried bone in Pork chops remove from pan. Then a quick sauté of onion and potatoes to loosen the fond. One envelope of Pork gravy and one cup water added. Bring to boil and thicken. Add bag of sauerkraut and caraway seeds. Stir to combine all. Add chops on top and cover pan. Allow to simmer for approximately 40 minutes till potatoes and chops are tender.

pork_chop_sauerkraut_P1100016.jpg

Johnny West

I ended up making Swedish pancakes since I missed National Pancake Day yesterday. The sylt lingonberry was a nice compliment. The bacon was Hormel apple wood smoked.

Attachments

• ########Swedish Pancakes.JPG
    ########Swedish Pancakes.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 108

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Last night's Shrimp dish was a success.......

Sweet/Sour Shrimp and Won Ton's in a Sesame Sauce

The Dish...

The Side....

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Dinner was a success.
They had never heard of Colcannon and loved it.
Will be making the same on St. Paddy's day, by request.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Easy Peasy last night ........

Sliced London Broil utilized as a Hot Beef sandwich... Home fries and a fiesta blend. The obligatory salad, of course !

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Chili served over brown rice topped with cheese and scallions last night.

Tonight - I have no kneed dough waiting to be baked. So dinner is undecided yet but the choices are bacon, eggs, home fries and fresh bread or BLT's.

Dogboa

Dinner was a success.
They had never heard of Colcannon and loved it.
Will be making the same on St. Paddy's day, by request.

Where we used to live, a neighbor who is second generation Irish gave me a real funny look when I mentioned colcannon. She had never heard of it.

When we had the conch fritters, I made a batch of conch chowder. I took it to the point before potatoes and cream would go in and froze 4 - quart containers. I defrosted and finished 2 containers for dinner last evening. Leftovers will be for lunch during the week.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Where we used to live, a neighbor who is second generation Irish gave me a real funny look when I mentioned colcannon. She had never heard of it.

That's odd.
I learned all about those wonderful traditional dishes during my years in England.

Today I am packing my dinner.
Tuna salad sandwich and a piece of fruit.

Ironman

🍺
It was 18* F this morning but I started smoking a 7# Boston butt anyway. Ice on the smoker! Lol

Sass had me craving Culver's the last few days so for lunch I had a bacon cheese butter burger deluxe and a Reese's + cookie dough concrete mixer. :D

https://www.culvers.com

Attachments

• IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 95