I bought a new toy

thegrindre

I've been looking for an easy small gadget for cutting french fries. My potato cutting skills suck.
While checking out at a Dollar store, or was it Freds, can't remember, now, I saw one of these on a TV commercial counter display thingy. Looks exactly like what I've been looking for so I bought it.
I don't fry anything, don't even own a frying pan, but oven baked fries sounds good.
I must say, this little tool works pretty well. I'm happy with my new toy.
https://www.perfectfries.com/?MID=3113149

:)

Shermie

Site Supporter
You don't own a frying pan?!! I have several.

How do you get along without one?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rick, is it as easy to use as they show?

Lee

Lefty

Yank
I would check amazon. I had one I got that was moderate and it lasted a couple of years but I wished I had gotten an industrial strength one to last longer. They save a lot of time if you eat fries with the skins on.

Shermie

Site Supporter
That's the one that I want!

I got a smaller one, but it's not big enough to cut whole potatoes. I have to cut them in half first!! Sucks!!

thegrindre

Rick, is it as easy to use as they show?

Lee
Yeah, it is easy to use. I cut my potatoes in half, tho. It's easier to push them through that way. The potato needs to be straight, perpendicular.
Basically, don't try to push a huge potato thru it. It's like trying to put a round block through a square hole. It's just not a good idea.
A normal sized potato works fine.
In other words, use common sense.

I recommend it. It's a small handy kitchen toy that works.
It's all durable plastic except the blades so I'm not sure how long it'll last. Couple years or so I'm hoping.

I don't fry anything, Sherm. Don't like the grease or the taste of fried foods.
I do not like southern fried chicken. I don't go to KFC or any other fried food establishment. I broil or bake everything.

thegrindre

I don't eat fried or scrambled eggs either. I like my eggs soft boiled or poached.
I don't fry bacon, I broil it in the oven.
I don't care for the taste of browned meat in a skillet. I like the broiled taste much better.

I try to eliminate as much grease or greasy foods as possible in my diet.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
wanna trade arteries~ :biggrin:
that seems to be a great new kitchen tool. i luv the industrial ones, tho use a knife, here. i hafta keep my eyes peeled- my Mom would luv one.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I have a mandolin with two different width fry cutters for standard and shoestring fries. Works great and minimal waste.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I have a mandolin with two different width fry cutters for standard and shoestring fries. Works great and minimal waste.
That is what we have also. Maybe I could get her to let me make some fries with burgers tomorrow. Have all these gizmos and seldom use them.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Rick, does yours look something like this?

I have that one as well, but I want one like THIS one on the right.

Attachments

• French fry cutter.jpg
    French fry cutter.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 185
  • French fry cutter 2.jpg
    French fry cutter 2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 183

Leni

Yeah, it is easy to use. I cut my potatoes in half, tho. It's easier to push them through that way. The potato needs to be straight, perpendicular.
Basically, don't try to push a huge potato thru it. It's like trying to put a round block through a square hole. It's just not a good idea.

It's all durable plastic except the blades so I'm not sure how long it'll last. Couple years or so I'm hoping.

I do not like southern fried chicken. I don't go to KFC or any other fried food establishment. I broil or bake everything.

Oh boy! Your kitchen and mine would just not get along.

Shermie

Site Supporter

You must be on a strict low-fat low-cal diet.

I don't eat fried foods every day. I also liked baked things.

I can make oven fried chicken that looks like it's been fried. :wink:

thegrindre

My grandmother lived to be 99 and harped on me how important it is to eat healthy. I'm now 65 and haven't seen a doctor in over 20 years. It rubbed off on me, I think...

Only diet I'm on is a healthy one, Sherm.
When I go back for seconds, it's not potatoes and bread I get, it's more protean or fruit or veggies.

Last edited:

thegrindre

Rick, does yours look something like this?

I have that one as well, but I want one like THIS one on the right.
Sherm, my first post has a link in it. That's what I just bought a week or so ago at a Dollar General Store or a Freds. Can't remember which.

Lefty

Yank
What you gals and guys have to figure into the equation is potatoes are almost all water and that makes a difference in how it works. You have to look for the correct insert. The one I got was good for two years but it got harder to use and the shape of the cutter started to disfigure. (rounded out) the insert started to bend and curve. It became harder to use. I think if I purchased one industrial style I would have done better. As the one I had became older I had to slam the potatoes through harder and harder. I guess what I am trying to say is the insert is just as important as the base. I really do have a lot of practice with this as my daughter is a french fry eating machine all her life.

thegrindre

I bought three huge potatoes and had to cut them up. (I didn't use common sense.)
This first shot is the biggest potato cut into thirds to make short baked fries.
(I could care less what length fries are.)

I had a poached chicken breast with homemade BBQ sauce to go with these babies, BTW.

Second shot is my new toy.

Attachments

• fries1.jpg
    fries1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 176
  • fries2.jpg
    fries2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 170

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hah!

Very unusual looking one!

I like long French fries though. The reason behind getting the big industrial one!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I think I know just where to put it if I were to get one. Hah! I think the problem would be to try to find one with a reasonable price.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just got THIS new toy from Amazon.com on Saturday!

There's a special long narrow nozzle that comes with the set which I think would be ideal for putting crème filling into homemade Twinkies and for putting pastry crème into cream puffs and eclairs.

It can be seen over to the left of the stand. Plus the bags themselves are made from silicone, not from cheap and flimsy plastic like most brands are!!

THIS is the set that I wanted all along!! ;)

Attachments

• Mastrad 12-pc. Pastry Bag Set.jpg
    Mastrad 12-pc. Pastry Bag Set.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 143

Shermie

Site Supporter
That looks like a nice one, Sherm.
I want to see some Twinkies, now. LOL

Thanks.

I'll be making some more Twinkies soon, now that I believe I have the right pastry bag set.

The one that came with the pan is flimsily made, crappy and the bag broke while trying to fill the Twinkies.

Which is why I haven't made any more. But I will soon. :eating2:

JenWalker

I bought this one which can also double up as a fruit and veg cutter too...

511-hnMKQML._SY355_.jpg

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-French-Fry-Cutter-Fruit-Wedger/dp/B000A1FV9Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1374568090&sr=8-5&keywords=french+fries+cutter[/ame]

It can be a bit fidgety at times but overall it works.