Gnocchi from leftover Mashed Potatoes with Mozzarella and Roasted Garlic

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
2 cups (approx) left over cooked and cooled "mashed potato with roasted garlic and mozzarella" including the crumb topping! Note you could use any well seasoned mashed potatoes - would be nice to add parmesan too.

1 (approx) cup of plain flour

1/4 cup egg, lightly beaten

* Please note all quantities are very approximate and will vary dependant on the mashed potatoes you use, if they are more or less "wet"so please adjust paying attention to the consistancy as a guide.
---
Flour your very clean work surface (or board) and spoon out mashed potatoes onto it.

Add half of the flour on top,some of the egg and start to knead with your hands, adding flour little by little, until you have a soft bread dough consistancy - not too sticky. This took me about 5-10 mins.

To shape the gnocchi I weighed out lots of 7-8gram "pinches" from the ball of dough (sorry its a bit time consuming to weigh each one but it ensures even sized gnocchi which means it will all cook at the same rate).

Roll each pinch into a ball and then roll it across the board using the back of a fork, squashing slightly. You will now have oblong gnocchi with ridges for the sauce to adhere to!

Repeat for all the gnocchi. ( I do it in stages, weigh ALL the pinches, roll them ALL into balls and then shape ALL the gnocchi with the fork)

Instructions To Cook Now:
Boil slightly salted (your mashed potatoes were well seasoned remember) water in a large pan.

Add the gnocchi to the pan, ensuring it returns to the boil. Note that the gnocchi will sink to the bottom of the pan.

After 2-3 mins or when the gnocchi floats to the surface of the water, it will be cooked! I boil for another 30 seconds once this happens.

Drain out the water and add your favorite pasta sauce or just some parmesan and butter - I like homemade pesto!

To Freeze for Later:
Line a baking sheet with foil and lay the uncooked gnocchi on the sheet in one layer, not touching each other.
Place in the freezer for 1 hour only, then transfer from the baking sheet to an air tight container (will minimize them sticking together).