Upscale Seafood Restaurants

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
This is one of my favorite restaurants but I really love Bonefish Grill and McCormick & Scmick's. In Cleveland, they are located in Eton Collection.

http://www.mitchellsfishmarket.com/index.cfm?selectlocation=14

They have a three course meal for $19.95.

Bonefish Grill is a place that I went to in S. Fla recently. There is one in Cleveland that I have not been to but I have never had a bad meal there. They changed their menu from the last time I have been there. They have $5 drinks all day but last time I checked their website there were no specials. In Cleveland, they are located in Independence.
http://www.bonefishgrill.com/

McCormick & Schmick is also a lovely fish restaurant in the area. I find their food to be a bit salty though. However, I have taken my mom there for a special Thanksgiving Day dinner twice and we enjoyed it very much. In Cleveland, they are located in Beachwood Place. Their mother's day selections start at $19.95 and include a free chocolate dessert. Their desserts are wonderful btw.
http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Oh, I forgot to add, I ate at Legal Seafood in S. Fla.
http://www.legalseafoods.com/

It was very disappointing and very expensive. I don't mind expensive restaurants but when I don't like my dinner or I get sick, it is a real turn off.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
It is located in a very tony location where I live and dinner for two can cost over $100 depending upon what is ordered--so yes, I think it is upscale.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
^Add appetizers, salads, drinks and dessert--

Everything is a la carte at these places.

FryBoy

"Upscale" doesn't necessarily mean good, just expensive, and what's considered good may depend on where you live. In the L.A. area, these are considered tops:

Tabu (Zagat Rating for Food = 29 out of 30)

Water Grill (Zagat Rating for Food = 27)

Providence (Zagat Rating for Food = 26)

On the Zagat scale, 26 to 29 is "extraordinary to perfection." The ratings are by actual diners, not hacks who write for the paper or magazines.

In addition to the above "white tablecloth" restaurants, there are 17 sushi restaurants in in the L.A. area in Zagat's top food rating category, the least expensive of which is $38 for dinner, 1 drink, and tip per person.

The eight McCormick & Schmicks locations all have Zagat ratings of 19 (good to very good is 16 - 19) with an average cost per person for dinner, 1 drink, and tip of $41.

My point is this: expensive ain't necessarily good.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I took some clients once to a place on Key Biscayne Florida called the Rusty Pelican based on what others told me about it. Well there was 6 of us with 7 PM reservations that took us to 8 PM to get seated and could only get 2 drinks seated at the bar. The staff ignored us like we weren't even there. I ordered surf and turf but the others order other things. Mine wasn't bad taste wise but portions were small with the total check the meal for 6 came to about $350 with tip. No body like it nor would I ever go back again.

Now the other end of the scale my son recommended a restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale called the Ark that was not only the best food I had in Florida but also the service I've ever hand. This one was 6 adults and 6 children with mixed drinks for the adults sodas and tea for the kids with the majority of the adults having lobster and prime rib with all the fixing. We also had a great desert which that had a long list to choose from totally check with my usual 20% tip was just under $400. Now I would go back there again and no reservations at all.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I know what you mean, joe. Bigger bucks doesn't necessarily mean better food. My favorite place in Port Aransas is called Shell's. It is the tiniest little place you have ever seen. It is owned and run by Chef Shelley, who was a chef at one of the most expensive restaurants on the island. She became increasingly frustrated that the locals couldn't afford to eat there, so she opened her own restaurant. The place is casual and the restaurant is the size of a postage stamp. But the blackboard menu is as gourmet as you could ask for, the wine list is delightful, the desserts are all made in house, and the service is the best I've ever seen! They don't have any entrees over $25 and most hover in the $16 range. I find myself returning again and again.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've eaten in a few place like that FM even some over seas that had excellent food with good service that were inexpensive.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
There are several very nice seafood restaurants in Naples. My favorite is Gumbo Limbo at the Ritz-Carlton down on the beach. It's located outdoors on a boardwalk, prices are not too awfully high, and the food is always excellent.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have eaten at the Ritz-Carlton here several times and I have never hada a bad meal. Their thanksgiving dinner is outstanding and when they cater a wedding it is quite extravagant but even when eating breakfast, I have gotten a great meal.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
"Upscale" doesn't necessarily mean good, just expensive, and what's considered good may depend on where you live. In the L.A. area, these are considered tops:

Tabu (Zagat Rating for Food = 29 out of 30)

Water Grill (Zagat Rating for Food = 27)

Providence (Zagat Rating for Food = 26)

On the Zagat scale, 26 to 29 is "extraordinary to perfection." The ratings are by actual diners, not hacks who write for the paper or magazines.

In addition to the above "white tablecloth" restaurants, there are 17 sushi restaurants in in the L.A. area in Zagat's top food rating category, the least expensive of which is $38 for dinner, 1 drink, and tip per person.

The eight McCormick & Schmicks locations all have Zagat ratings of 19 (good to very good is 16 - 19) with an average cost per person for dinner, 1 drink, and tip of $41.

My point is this: expensive ain't necessarily good.

FryBoy, you may take my opinion with a grain of salt because most of the time whenever I eat out (even at what are suppose to be swanky, expensive foodie restaurants) unless they are willing to go off menu and alter how they do things in the kitchen, I find the food too salty. Sometimes, I find that kitchens are getting better especially when it comes to food sensitivities. I can find out what is in things before ordering them and getting sick. With the worsening of the economy, I have noticed that kitchens are becoming more accommodating because they want my business. They are willing to change how they prepare something for me. I appreciate that very much.

Further, I agree that it is not so much whether or not a restaurant is expensive or even if it is rated well, it is whether or not I subjectively like it. I have food sensitivity issues and strongly dislike over salted food. Others love salt--and would strongly disagree with me. That is ok. It is why I share my bias here.

I also have had food poisoning recently and when my friends got sick after eating at Lux Cafe, I took note and decided I would never return even though my meal was fine.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
San Francisco Bay Area- About 100 Mi. South. Moss Beach.
ABSOLUTLY BEST SEAFOOD RESTAURANT I EVER BEEN TOO!
Phil's Fish Market. You even have to stand in line to get your order.
They had some Live Blue Grass Music, when We were there.
They are right on the water. Also Returning Guests of Food Network!
http://www.philsfishmarket.com/eatery.html

images

Check The Pictures In Google Images of Phil's Fish Market.