Balsamic Drumettes!!

The Tourist

Banned
I notice the woman showcasing the recipe has the prefix of "De" with her last name.

In a way, she is the 'de lady.'

Coincidence?

The Tourist

Banned
That's my dream job! Flying around with a nationally famous chef, honing some of the finest Hattoris known. Swimming pools, movie stars. Working four or five hours per week...

I have always held the opinion that the word "mercenary" was an adverb.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Grrrrrrr

OK.... I'm :angry::angry::furious: because I just typed up this response and then when I hit submit... POOF! It dissappeared! :censored::censored: Ok... I feel better now.

What I wrote and was lost is this:

This recipe sounds great.... for me that is.

I made a cornish hen last night using a much different recipe than normal. Split the hen in half and marinate over night in a combo of balsamic vinegar, chopped onions, garlic, and rosemary. Roast that for 1 hour and then use the pan juices to create a glaze by adding brown sugar and chicken base.

I LOVED it... DH says "Oh, it's ok, just wanted to let you know." He did not care for the vinegary taste it had.

So can I expect that anything that calls for balsamic vinegar will always have a vinegary taste? Let me know girly cuz I would love to try this!!!

Deelady

I think it tastes very similar to a type of terriyaki, it is thick and syrupy. I would say try it....if he doesn't like it then he can have cereal!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
That is true... he can go eat whatever and I can have the rest!!! You know, I never thought about doing that, what a great idea!!!

Deelady

At the very least I would try them out the next time you have company over, they are easy and quick to make, and they go fast! Every time I have made them I get asked for the recipe.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Giada De Laurentiis is about the only remaining person on the Food Network that I watch. The network has pretty much dumbed down to the point of game shows. With that said please spare me from any foul fowl dishes, please.....:no:MORE :chicken: the stuff is just nasty..... :yuk:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
:ermm::unsure:You mean no chicken dishes??

Yes that is exactly what I mean. :whistling: I just plain won't eat birds unless I see how they are grown. In the case of chicken 6 weeks after the egg is laid you have a chicken on the shelf in the store ready to cook and eat. Now I lived on a farm as a kid and remember what the yards birds tasted like then compared to the yellow things they pass for chicken today. Just not the same creature at all. I started noticing the change first in chickens over 30 years ago and stopped eating them. I've noticed the same things happing with ducks, turkeys and other birds we eat since then.

I wonder if anyone has noticed how fat the world is getting over the last few years while chicken has become the number one food source for most, especially our kids.

Now I do have a source for naturally grown chickens, ducks and turkeys the only problem is he is Amish and doesn't have a phone, electricity and no Internet so hard to contact him. He sells a couple of times a year at the Lexington Farmer's market for $2 for a whole chicken or $4 for it cleaned and ready to cook. I've yet to get there in time which means I've missed out on eating my first chicken in years. :oops:

The Tourist

Banned
JoeC

Hypothetically speaking, suppose a person had limited eithics and no truly engrained scruples. For the sake of debate, let's opine that he is a strapping bon vivant skirt-catcher. Just for debate.

So suppose this ficticious person stopped his motorcycle, er, vehicle one moonless night to select a chicken from a recently damaged hole in the fence.

As he disposed of the wirecutters, what attributes would this roguishly handsome cutpurse look for in a good chicken?

Assuming this would happen in reality.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Short answer if it is running loose it should be good. :whistling: Oh and this is hypotheticall right. :brows:

Last edited:

The Tourist

Banned
Oh and this is hypotheticall right. :brows:

Oh, but of course. This is a family forum.

But now that this strapping Adonis has 'bird in hand,' what would be the proper method for its demise?

A vise-like twist within the perfectly formed tendons of his iron fists--akin to dealing with a court summons (hypothetically)--or the use of a meticously crafted polished edge, on say, oh of a Graham product, for example? Hypothetically. Always hypothetically.

Deelady

I was told that wild chickens were much different in texture than farm raised...harder to chew, I believe.
Joe I was going to suggest a straight from the farm source such as you said the Amish. I have seen them here where I live, surely you have a closer farm or more convenient you may try to buy from? But regardless, I don't see what you have against the recipes in themselves? Where you buy the actually chicken for any given recipe is completely up to you...I will not try to pursuade you to buy elsewhere:wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh I have nothing against chicken recipes and my wife eats chicken I don't. I actaully cook them on occations. I also made a smoked turkey last thanksgiving for some freinds that was here visiting from Texas.

I do buy all my beef, pork and lamb from a local grower that butchers a couple of times a year, properly ages the meats, feeds with none treated crops, doesn't inject their live stock with antibotics etc. I buy in halfs rough butchered and have a large freezer for storeing it. They as a matter of fact told me about the Amish guy as they know him. Oh and I buy direct from the owner at http://www.kyagr.com/Main.aspx?procedure=show_page(8022) for my meats. They send out an email when they are planing on selling at which time I order what I want and meat them at the farmer's market to pick up my order. I've never gotten a piece of meat from them that wasn't perfect.

Now chickens here are hard to find except the food stores which I avoid buying most meats from with a few minor exceptions. As a matter of fact the Amish farmer lives just west of Bowling Green Kentucky and I live in Lexington which is a pretty good distance.

Yes yard birds are a bit tougher than what you buy probably due to more fat in the chickens. The meat is also real white looking and wings don't look like drumsticks.

Deelady

I apologize Joe, my mistake! I thought you were asking me NOT to post any chicken recipes because you had, had enough!:oops:

What about organic chickens sold in stores? ARen't they free of the chemicals? I thought that was the whole reason they were alowed to charge an arm and a leg for them...? Although I wouldn't blame you on not wanting to pay those prices, I would go without as well. At the very least cut back dramatically!
I had eaten wild chicken once, I couldnt even take a bite out of it, I had to kinda knaw at it!!:blink:

Speaking of Farmers markets, you just reminded me that our local one is tomorrow! For once I won't miss it!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes organic chickens I would eat as that should be the same as free range which I would also eat. I would buy them regardless of the cost if I could find them in any store in my area. Money isn't the point as I buy my meats now basically organic and the price sure doesn't stop me.

If you see some though in your area simply compare it to the usually yellow looking chickens you buy. You will see the chicken is smaller with normal sized wings, legs etc. You will also taste the difference as the meat has a taste like real chicken not the washed out taste that every thinks of as chicken.

Oh and just for your information I look at these recipes to see the ingredients as somewhere I may decide to make a stake or a pork chop that might work well with the same type of ingredients as listed for a chicken dinner. Oh and in the old days of real chickens after a certain weight they where marked for stewing hens and one best not try to roast them or fry them. You would trough out your neck trying to chew them. :)

The Tourist

Banned
Deelady, I love chicken! I've been to a restaurant once that had chicken breasts stacked like a roll of quarters in some sweeter, golden sauce.

I actually considered if I could make it to the door with the entire chafing dish!

The issue here appears to be prep and interesting recipes.

I'm starting to flip on the computer and scanning for your handle to derive a new way of preparing my favorite foods!

And chicken is the main meat meal for many American homes.

As for me, my little extended family is starting to hit our localPerkins on Fraiday night. I got into the habit of ordering their turkey and dressing platter. (Yes, I ask for extra slices of turkey.) They serve it with a tasty buttered and peppered corn.

What do you have for turkey? I love a darker gravy.

Deelady

Last year I made a wonderful Miso rubbed turkey! I felt a liitle guilty when we brought it to a Thanks giving party for extra meat for everyone, and it turned out that everyone ate our turkey and not the hosts'......oops!:blush:

Deelady

I'm sure I'll have my share of Thanks Giving recipes to contribute!

I also have one for a Bourbon glazed turkey!!:in_love::in_love: I'll dig them up soon!

Deelady

Must admitt......I wasn't expecting a response like that!! LOL:ohmy::lol:

I hope you guys/gals give em a try, they are a big hit in our circle!