Cooksie

Site Supporter
dillo2.gif
dillo2.gif
dillo2.gif

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
three great pictures of yummy goodness in a row! I have had no breakfast yet...and would like a serving of all three, please

chowhound

Those are some good looking dishes alright.
Potatoes in chili... that'll hit the spot. What a great idea.
That looks like what I call goulash, Trim. Very nice.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I wished I had seen this tread sooner as I would of made up a batch of a dish I call Mexican Hamburger Helper. I kind of came up with it when my kids where little and wanted taco's for dinner. I looked in the cabinet and saw all the ingredients and had just ground up a 5lb chuck roast so I started making it. Well unknown to me the kids had eaten the taco shells with sulsa and put the empty box back in the cabinet so I had to improvise. I've since refined it into a pretty hardy meal that is actaully better the second and third day. Recipe below.

Mexican Hamburger Helper

1 pound ground beef ( I grind my own )
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 onion diced
4 cloves of garlic crush and diced
2 Jalapeno peppers diced (optional to taste)
1 lb of elbow macaroni (other styles can be used as well)
1 package of Taco seasoning (brand optional or I make my own)
1 tbl spoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 cup low salt beef broth (chicken can also be used or water)
1 to 2 tbl spoons of Salsa (your favorite brand, we like the Hot)
1 tbl spoon of crushed red peppers (or to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onions and jalapenos in olive oil until onions are translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes. Now add ground beef to the skillet and brown with onions and peppers. Salt and pepper to taste. Once meat is browned add garlic, rotel tomatoes, cayenne pepper, crushed red peppers and broth. Bring to a boil the turn down to a simmer. Allow to reduce. You can now add your pasta to a boiling pot of water. Once pasta is cooked to your taste add pasta to skillet and mix completely. You can add cheese to the top of this when serving and it is better the next day reheated.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Damn, Joe ;
That's almost my "Happy Skillet" !!

....just needs some mushrooms and some cheese.........

homecook

I've just got to say all these dishes look and sound fabulous!!!!! Great pics also......We're a great bunch of cooks, I'd say!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Damn, Joe ;
That's almost my "Happy Skillet" !!

....just needs some mushrooms and some cheese.........

It started out like I said using Old El Paso taco mix but no shells so I mixed every else with elbow macaroni with a salad out of the rest of the stuff. Through the years I've tried different things in it and add pepper jack cheese as a topping at the time of serving. I've never thought of adding mushrooms since it isn't a standard taco ingredient but I'm sure it would be good also.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Kind of an English version of meat loaf I would guess based on what I read and say in the recipes Miniman posted. Miniman please forgive me I'm a bit skeptical of native English cooking, just joking guy. :whistle:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Bobbtie is actually a South African dish - although I have played with the recipe.

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, you're a nice man, mini.

psssst, leslie, look at what you quoted...

out for a couple of pints, were we? :glare:

oh, don't give me that i'm complicated because i'm an onion routine. oooh, "peel me if you don't believe me".

nonsense!

admit it, you were out late with the radish boys again... :alc: