NCT's International Iron Chef II (everyone join!!)

Deelady

df07_01-03_carnitas.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
So is a carnita just flavored pulled meat, or does it have to be in a shell/bread?

Deelady

celias_carnitas_2.jpg

It is usually served with a side of tortillas but the carnita itself is a braised pork often the butt.

Deelady

I just found a place near me (not an easy thing to do in Ohio! lol) that sells carnitas and the meat just melts in your mouth!

Lefty

Yank
I wish I could join in, but this is my busy week. (or should I say month) I have two monster tests Weds. night at work I am coordinating. If I get this week out of the way I should be good till sea trials, busy but not loosing my mind. Good luck to you all, I will be chearing from the sidelines. If I take Friday off I may try and get in if I'm not in a coma. LOL

lesley

Re: Iron Chef International

i think it's a great idea..
Okay...you asked for a pork recipe right?
Here's mine... this joint costs under £5 why? because most British people turn their nose up 'cause it's called hand of pork...takes nearly 5 hours to cook, then you have to use tongs to pull out the meat...but it's the tastiest pork I've ever had....& the crackling is awesome!

Slowly Roasted Hand of Pork

pork1.jpg

Serves 4
Prep Time 15 mins
Cooking Time 4hrs 45 mins
Ingredients

• Hand of pork, on the bone (approx 4kg)
  • Salt and pepper
Method

• Place the hand of pork on a clean surface and pat dry
  • Using a sharp knife, score the skin through to the fat, avoid cutting into the meat
  • Turn the joint over so that the skin is on a flat surface
  • Season the meat with salt and pepper, rub into the meat
  • Turn the joint back over, and rub a teaspoonful of salt into the skin
  • Put the joint into a roasting dish
  • Roast in a preheated oven (middle shelf) at 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7 for 30 minutes
  • After 30 minutes, check the meat, the skin should be starting to blister, if not put back for another 15 minutes
  • Remove the joint from the oven and cover with aluminium foil, sealing around the edge of the roasting dish
  • Lower the heat to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3, cook for 3 hours, again on middle shelf
  • Remove joint from the oven, and discard foil
  • Spoon off fat, leaving 4 Tbsp for basting
  • Baste the meat and place back in the oven for 45minutes-1 hour, 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3
  • Skin should now be crisp
  • See Cook’s tips
  • Serve with apple sauce and gravy of your choice
Cook's tips

• Don’t expect to carve the joint, just pull off the meat with kitchen tongs
Equipment

• Roasting dish
  • Aluminium foil
Shopping List

• Hand of pork , on the bone (approx 4kg)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I wish I could join in, but this is my busy week. (or should I say month) I have two monster tests Weds. night at work I am coordinating. If I get this week out of the way I should be good till sea trials, busy but not loosing my mind. Good luck to you all, I will be chearing from the sidelines. If I take Friday off I may try and get in if I'm not in a coma. LOL

no worries Lefty...if this goes over fairly well, we can make it a weekly thing... i am on another forum and we have a weekly contest doing the basic same thing...

Ok, I'm in. It will probably be later this week before I get to the pork.

no problem, i still dont know what i am making yet...i have some ideas though..lol

Deelady

no worries Lefty...if this goes over fairly well, we can make it a weekly thing... i am on another forum and we have a weekly contest doing the basic same thing...

no problem, i still dont know what i am making yet...i have some ideas though..lol

PSSSTT Bams.....al Pastor ;):mrgreen:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Mine is a bacon cheese burger.

Directions:

1.) drive to closest Ruby Tuesdays

2.) park and enter restaurant

3.) be seated

4.) when server approaches, order bacon cheese burger with your favorite condiments along with a drink of your choice.

5.) enjoy your meal!

6.) pay and be sure to leave an appropriate tip.
(I assume you ate everything so no doggy bag)

7.) return home

Attachments

• baconcheeseburger.jpg
    baconcheeseburger.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 224

Deelady

Mine is a bacon cheese burger.

Directions:

1.) drive to closest Ruby Tuesdays

2.) park and enter restaurant

3.) be seated

4.) when server approaches, order bacon cheese burger with your favorite condiments along with a drink of your choice.

5.) enjoy your meal!

6.) pay and be sure to leave an appropriate tip.
(I assume you ate everything so no doggy bag)

7.) return home

Oh I have a recipe like that!! Except I use Red Robins in my recipe! ;)

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Oh I have a recipe like that!! Except I use Red Robins in my recipe! ;)

They have good burgers but the noise level is usually more than I can take. That tin ceiling and a few loud kids is an unbearable combination. :bonk:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Okay...I missed this one.. I actually did baby back ribs the other day, but not Iron chef quality...

Can I play in the next round??

Who is going to pick the food??