Cold Sour Cherry Soup

Improv Cook

Does anyone have a good recipe for cold sour cherry soup? My Grandma used to make it in the summer topped with dumplings. My wife tried to get the recipe from her and all she would say is "Oh, it's nothing, just a little of this and that". That was my Grandma. No special recipes written down. They were all in her head.

Norm

This may be Swedish, not sure.
sour cherry soup, served cold and as a first dish.

Sour Cherry Soup
1 pound canned, fresh or jarred sour cherries
2 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick (1 inch long)
1 piece of lemon zest(1 inch wide from around the middle)
1/8 tsp salt 2/3 cups sugar (or more)
1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca
3-4 TBS sour cream

Pit the cherries. Save 10 pits and tie them in a cheesecloth.

In a non-reactive medium large saucepan, combine the pitted cherries, the parcel of pits, the cloves, cinnamon stick, lemon zest and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, partially cover, and boil until the cherries soften, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the salt, tapioca and sugar. Slowly add the cooked cherries, stirring to combine. Bring the mixture back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 8 minutes or more. Add more water, if needed.

Set the mixture aside to cool. Remove the cloves, cinnamon stick, lemon zest and cherry pits. Cover and chill thoroughly.
served chilled, with a dollop of sour cream on top and cinnamon toast on the side.
Serves 3-4

Norm

I was planning a dinner for friends a couple years ago and could not find the cold fruit soup recipe I had used before and a friend sent me this one. It was good.