Tutorial: Cinnamon Rolls

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Cinnamon Rolls

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup milk (heated approximately 1 minute in microwave)
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F.)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (Initation vanilla is fine also)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature and beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 cups bread flour
3 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
Cinnamon Filling (see recipe below)
Butter Frosting (see recipe below)

P1000484.jpg

DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl or in the bowl of a 5 quart stand mixer, combine all the dry ingredients except the Cinnamon Filling and the Butter Frosting. I like to stir the dry ingredients before adding the wet to get good dispersion throughout the mix. Add the wet ingredients, and using a dough hook, mix everything together until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, approximately 10 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour so it’s not too sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.

P1000492.jpg

Butter two 9x13x2-inch baking pan (I use Pyrex baking/lasagna dish) and set aside. After dough has rested, roll and stretch the dough into approximately a 15x24-inch rectangle.

P1000493.jpg

Brush the softened butter from the Cinnamon Filling (see below) over the top of the dough with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle Cinnamon Filling and chopped nuts over the butter on the prepared dough.

P1000494.jpg

Starting with long edge, roll up dough; pinch seams to seal. NOTE: Rolling the log too tightly will result in cinnamon rolls whose centers pop up above the rest of them as they bake.

P1000495.jpg

With a knife, lightly mark roll into 1 1/2-inch section. Use a sharp knife or slide a 12-inch piece of dental floss or heavy thread underneath. By bringing the ends of the floss up and criss-crossing them at the top of each mark, you can cut through the roll by pulling the strings in opposite directions. I like the dental floss.

P1000496.jpg

Place cut side up in prepared pan, flattening them only slightly. The unbaked cinnamon rolls should not touch each other before rising and baking. Do not pack the unbaked cinnamon rolls together.

P1010912.jpg

Refrigerating or Freezing Unbaked Cinnamon Rolls:

At this point, the cinnamon rolls can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight or frozen for 1 month. Before baking, allow rolls to thaw completely and rise in a warm place if frozen. Take the unbaked frozen cinnamon rolls out of the freezer 10 to 12 hours before planning to bake. Just put the frozen cinnamon rolls (container and rolls) on your counter (not in the refrigerator) overnight for 10 to 12 hours.

Baking:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. for regular oven or 325 degrees F. for a convection oven.
* Bake in a convection oven approximately 15 to 20 minutes until they are a light golden brown.
* Baked in a regular oven approximately 20 to 25 minutes in a regular oven until they are a light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Spread Butter Frosting over the cinnamon rolls while still warm. Serve warm.

P1010913.jpg

CINNAMON FILLING:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
4 to 5 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 to 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon well; stir in chopped nuts (optional). NOTE: I like to sift the brown sugar and cinnamon together to remove any lumps.

BUTTER FROSTING:
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon lemon extract or oil (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon extract or oil until well mixed and creamy. Refrigerate frosting until ready to use and then bring to room temperature before spreading. I like to make the butter frosting in my mini food processor.

P1010343.jpg

Newnork1978

I shouldn't browse this forum while I'm pregnant...Now I want cinnamon rolls (home-made, of course). Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to make some! :smile:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
"DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl or in the bowl of a 5 quart stand mixer, combine all the dry ingredients except the Cinnamon Filling and the Butter Frosting. I like to stir the dry ingredients before adding the wet to get good dispersion throughout the mix. Add the wet ingredients, and using a dough hook, mix everything together until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, approximately 10 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour so it’s not too sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl or in the bowl of a 5 quart stand mixer, combine all the dry ingredients except the Cinnamon Filling and the Butter Frosting. I like to stir the dry ingredients before adding the wet to get good dispersion throughout the mix. Add the wet ingredients, and using a dough hook, mix everything together until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, approximately 10 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour so it’s not too sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes."

after the dough is kneaded and placed in the bowl it only rests/rises 10 before using?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
"DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl or in the bowl of a 5 quart stand mixer, combine all the dry ingredients except the Cinnamon Filling and the Butter Frosting. I like to stir the dry ingredients before adding the wet to get good dispersion throughout the mix. Add the wet ingredients, and using a dough hook, mix everything together until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, approximately 10 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour so it’s not too sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl or in the bowl of a 5 quart stand mixer, combine all the dry ingredients except the Cinnamon Filling and the Butter Frosting. I like to stir the dry ingredients before adding the wet to get good dispersion throughout the mix. Add the wet ingredients, and using a dough hook, mix everything together until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, approximately 10 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour so it’s not too sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes."

after the dough is kneaded and placed in the bowl it only rests/rises 10 before using?
I actually let it rest for 20-30 minutes while I prepare the filling and frosting and clean up the mixer and put stuff away, but 10 minutes is all it takes.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I actually let it rest for 20-30 minutes while I prepare the filling and frosting and clean up the mixer and put stuff away, but 10 minutes is all it takes.
thank you one more question after you cut them and place in the pan do you cover and let them rise before baking?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh, I love to make cinnamon rolls, Joe. During the "high" season here, I supply cinnamon rolls to a friend's coffee shop, so make several batches a week. No tourists here now, so I haven't made any for awhile. Think I'd better make some soon, or I'll lose my touch. That's exactly the recipe I use, BTW. They look scrumptious.

Joe,I have made Cinnamon Rolls before and they didn't come out as neat as yours did. The tip with the dental floss/string is great as I would never have thought to use that. Thank you so much for this tutorial,Im going to have to try making these again.:thumb:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hoo-boy!

Joe, I didn't see this thread the first time around! Glad it got bumped up!

Those famous rolls of yours look spectacular!

Lee

Ironman

🍺
Thank you for sharing this, Joe.

I made them just like you posted and they kicked ass. KICKED ASS! :wink:

Thanks again. :)

Guts

I have used Joe's recipe for sticky buns and they are fantastic I have no doubt that this is a great formula too. Thanks for sharing Joe

The only thing that I have done is the addition of [FONT=&quot]xanthan gum in the filling.[/FONT]

Last edited: