What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Re: What are you baking today?

I'm trying something new for this segment...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e57MVdf_QpI[/ame]

Cooksie

Site Supporter

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what I'm doing, but I've got some poolish starter going. Nothing like hands-on learning :biggrin:. We shall see! It may be chunked in the trash, but at least I will have tried.

suziquzie

ummmm... lets see....

cornbread for my stuffing tomorrow.... done
cranberry orange bread, 2 loaves.... baking and smells like LUNCH!
a banana bread to use whats going brown on the counter next.....
Not sure after that. Maybe a trip to the liqour store :)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I have the dinner rolls ready for tomorrow. When they cool I'll bag them and warm them just before dinner. I brushed the tops with butter for the last 10 minutes of the bake.

P1020275.jpg

P1020276.jpg

These were made with my basic white bread recipe that I added 1 whole egg and 1 additional egg yolk. I also decreased the water by 2 oz to compensate for the added eggs.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

The wife is making (or so she says) a Dutch Apple pie for tomorrow. So far, she has made the crust...

My baking will a bit later tonight. I am making some pumpkin bread and some homemade bread for tomorrow. Wish I could do those rolls like Joe's!! That would be awesome to have with tomorrows meal, but alas mine just won't quite turn out right when I try :(

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

My baking will a bit later tonight. I am making some pumpkin bread and some homemade bread for tomorrow. Wish I could do those rolls like Joe's!! That would be awesome to have with tomorrows meal, but alas mine just won't quite turn out right when I try :(
I don't want to hear that noise. These are so easy even my DW could make them.:twak:

Just make my basic white bread recipe and let it proof for 1 hour till it double in size. Punch it down, divide the dough in half cuz it's easier to work with, then cut the dough into equal sized peices. If you have a scale, I made these 1-1/2 oz of dough, which is a little bigger than a golf ball. Roll them in your palms and put them in a greased 9x13 pan or a 10" round cake pan. I put 15 in the 9x13 only because that's what was left over from the recipe. You can use any pan that has a side wall 1-1/2" to 2" high. Cover the pans with plastic wrap and let them proof for another hour until they double in size.

P1020274.jpg

After they proof, brush them with some egg whites thinned with a little water and pop them in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 F. Then just open the oven and brush the tops with some melted butter and put back in the oven for another 10 minutes at 400 F.

There! Now you have no excuse for not trying to do this. It is super easy, and they are delicious (I just made 3 mini sammies with them).

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

I don't want to hear that noise. These are so easy even my DW could make them.:twak:

Just make my basic white bread recipe and let it proof for 1 hour till it double in size. Punch it down, divide the dough in half cuz it's easier to work with, then cut the dough into equal sized peices. If you have a scale, I made these 1-1/2 oz of dough, which is a little bigger than a golf ball. Roll them in your palms and put them in a greased 9x13 pan or a 10" round cake pan. I put 15 in the 9x13 only because that's what was left over from the recipe. You can use any pan that has a side wall 1-1/2" to 2" high. Cover the pans with plastic wrap and let them proof for another hour until they double in size.

P1020274.jpg

After they proof, brush them with some egg whites thinned with a little water and pop them in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 F. Then just open the oven and brush the tops with some melted butter and put back in the oven for another 10 minutes at 400 F.

There! Now you have no excuse for not trying to do this. It is super easy, and they are delicious (I just made 3 mini sammies with them).

OK OK put down the stick I will go and try and make em!!! LOL!

Shermie

Site Supporter

I'm going to make some sweet potato pies to take to a dinner today. When they're done, I'll post some pics if I can.

GotGarlic

Yesterday, I made two chocolate chess pies and one pumpkin pie for today. We broke into one of the chess pies after cleaning up yesterday - DELISH if I do say so myself! The recipe is from a restaurant in the town where my mom grew up, and she said it was better than Mildred's! :mrgreen:

suziquzie

Just put my cornbread in the oven to dry out for stuffing..... is that baking if it's already baked?
:)
Happy Thanksgiving!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Got up this morning at 0500 and got the no-knead loaves baked as well as a batch of sticky buns, all before going to 9:00 Mass. Here's my bread bounty to take to my brother's house for dinner...

P1020280.jpg

Have a great Thanksgiving day everyone.

homecook

I made a couple apple kuchens and got to use my new mixer for the dough.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 150

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Looks great Joe and Barb!
I need to buy more loaf pans, as I only own 1 large one.
I made 4 loaves of pumpkin bread and used the throw away aluminum ones.
One less thing to have to wash lol

homecook

That pumpkin bread looks great Lollie! Do you have a recipe posted?? I've never tried that before. Maybe I'll make some for Christmas.....

Nice Joe!!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

That pumpkin bread looks great Lollie! Do you have a recipe posted?? I've never tried that before. Maybe I'll make some for Christmas.....

Nice Joe!!
It's a recipe from off the back of the cans of pumpkin.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

EVERYTHING looks so goooooooooooooood!!

Mr. Green Jeans

Well I effenheimered dinner today! This week was given fresh, organic Oregon Coast (but previously frozen and mostly thawed) cranberries. So I make a cranberry/apple pie. "What no pumpkin?" arises from the peanut gallery. <sigh> You really can't please them all.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Well I effenheimered dinner today! This week was given fresh, organic Oregon Coast (but previously frozen and mostly thawed) cranberries. So I make a cranberry/apple pie. "What no pumpkin?" arises from the peanut gallery. <sigh> You really can't please them all.
...and just how many of your critics spent as much time in the kitchen as you did? My bet is none of them. Next time tell them when they pay for the meal they can criticize. Until then....well, you know.:bonk: BTW, how did the cranberry/apple pie turn out? It sounds delicious. I'll have to look you up and let you feed me the next time I come West to fish the North Umpqua. I promise to never criticize, condemn or complain about whatever you put on the table (as long as it's not okra...yuk!). Hell, I'll even eat roadkill if it's fresh hit.

Mr. Green Jeans

Oh!, once the dust settled (and they tasted my pie) the reaction was a mute point. But, it does raise the issue Vera mentioned: don't screw with the Thanksgiving menu

suziquzie

I made sticky buns this morning.
I'd show ya but the 'puter isn't liking the camera these days. :(

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I made sticky buns this morning.
I'd show ya but the 'puter isn't liking the camera these days. :(
Alright, it took me a couple of days to back you up, but here are mine from today, along with two batches of sweet corn bread (sorry, Mama). I'm taking all this to a holiday party tonight.

P1020294.jpg

suziquzie

We made green spritz cookies today....... been baking a little all week but my computer is still not accepting the camera so I feel like I shouldn't bother posting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.