Good Price on KitchenAid Pro 600 Stand Mixer

FryBoy

If you've been thinking about getting a KitchenAid Pro 600 Stand Mixer, check out the deal on QVC today: CLICK ME

$299.82 plus $7.72 shipping and tax. That's about the same as Amazon, but with QVC you have a choice of any color, including several that aren't available elsewhere. AND QVC is offering "easy pay" on this -- pay it off in 6 equal monthly payments, no interest or other charges.

Deal is good for today (Sunday, 3/29/09) only.

I have this mixer -- highly recommended.

41DrgUc7yfL._SS500_.jpg

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
FryBoy, leolady has talked me into getting a used older hobart 5 quart as they are made better and don't overheat. I had even considered buying a new one but she insists that the older models are better. Gadzooks also knows a lot about these machines.
If you go to a used restaurant supply in your area you can even get a warranty. I almost purchased one on ebay but lost the auction. I had considered purchasing a brand new one but leolady insists that the older models are far better. It just depends if you are willing to buy used or not. If you have any questions, she is an expert in this area and is usually happy to point people in the right direction for their needs.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have read that the older holberts are indestructible. No idea how hard they are to find though. I bought one like OVC is selling today off of Amazon about a year ago (anniversary gift for DW). She loves it. We had never owned a KitchenAid and after starting this forum I came to realize how popular they are. I used to think a hand mixer was all you needed. :bonk: Older and wiser now. :D

Good find FryBoy. That is a good deal on QVC if you are in the market for a new one.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I just want to point out good and bad reviews on amazon.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KP26M1XLC-Professional-6-Quart-Licorice/dp/B0002Y5X92[/ame]

It seems that they are fixing a design defect and going back to metal instead of plastic. If you purchase now, they will fix your machine. Further, a pastry chef has noted how this machine is suppose to be used in terms of flour and expectations with large batches. There are some wonderful comments.

I think I understand better why leolady and gadzooks are so enamored with the old hobart workhorses.

FryBoy

I believe that most of those negative reviews are outdated, based on the user's experience with older models. And there are very few negatives -- the Pro 600 has an overall customer rating on Amazon of 4½ out of 5 stars, based on nearly 700 responses.

The design defect frequently mentioned -- the use of plastic gears and a plastic gear housing -- was corrected by KA over two years ago, and it's my understanding from KA employees that the plastic parts were never used on the Pro 600. According to KA, Pro 600 has all metal gears and gearbox, the speed control is electronic to assure constant speed, and it has a mechanism to prevent overheating.

For more information, check the KA User's Forum.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Fryboy. I wasn't sure when the correction was made and didn't want someone to wind up purchasing an old (new) machine that was on sale because of the plastic.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I believe that most of those negative reviews are outdated, based on the user's experience with older models. And there are very few negatives -- the Pro 600 has an overall customer rating on Amazon of 4½ out of 5 stars, based on nearly 700 responses.

The design defect frequently mentioned -- the use of plastic gears and a plastic gear housing -- was corrected by KA over two years ago, and it's my understanding from KA employees that the plastic parts were never used on the Pro 600. According to KA, Pro 600 has all metal gears and gearbox, the speed control is electronic to assure constant speed, and it has a mechanism to prevent overheating.

For more information, check the KA User's Forum.
This is true, FryBoy. I bought mine last year on Amazon with a little trepidation because of the gear and gear housing issues. I knew that KA has changed back to metal but I was afraid I'd get old stock or something but I've had no problems with mine. But of course, the older Hobarts are wonderful!

FryBoy

...But of course, the older Hobarts are wonderful!
And expensive! Try to find a good one for $300. Also, most new Hobart mixers are commercial-sized -- 20 quarts and up. They do still make a 5-quart model, but it lists for $2643.00.

BTW, Whirlpool acquired the KitchenAid line of home mixers from Hobart in 1986, although Hobart continued manufacturing its commercial mixers under its own name. Given that fact, I would question any claim that a used KitchenAid mixer made since then is really a "Hobart Kitchenaid."

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
And expensive! Try to find a good one for $300. Also, most new Hobart mixers are commercial-sized -- 20 quarts and up. They do still make a 5-quart model, but it lists for $2643.00.

BTW, Whirlpool acquired the KitchenAid line of home mixers from Hobart in 1986, although Hobart continued manufacturing its commercial mixers under its own name. Given that fact, I would question any claim that a used KitchenAid mixer made since then is really a "Hobart Kitchenaid."
Yes, price was one of the reasons I went with a new KA. Also, at the time, I wasn't sure if replacement parts, etc. would be a problem although apparently parts are plentiful and they rarely break anyway.

leolady

Yes, price was one of the reasons I went with a new KA. Also, at the time, I wasn't sure if replacement parts, etc. would be a problem although apparently parts are plentiful and they rarely break anyway.

Very true! :agree:

And I still think the 5qt Hobart N-50 will put a beat down on ANY of the Kitchenaid models out there!:twak: And like the energizer bunny, they keep going, and going, and...........:clap:

I fear for Derek with his mom's KA 600 making pizza dough. Pizza dough has been the executioner of so many KA new mixers..........:flowers:

On the pizza making forum, the preference is for a Hobart N-50 any day of the week over a KA mixer because of this.

I plan on being buried with my two chrome KA model G mixers. The KA model G mixers made by Hobart are the precurser to the Hobart N-50 with a little less power but with all of the durability.

If you go on the KA forum you will see two threads pinned. One is called Kitchenaid Company and Information. http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6663

The other thread is called Old & Gold. http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6803

I will with state that I wrote the information contained in both of them from information I had gathered from the net, and that which I discovered from owning these mixers.:blush:

I hope you will find them useful reading.

leolady

FryBoy, leolady has talked me into getting a used older hobart 5 quart as they are made better and don't overheat. I had even considered buying a new one but she insists that the older models are better. Gadzooks also knows a lot about these machines.
If you go to a used restaurant supply in your area you can even get a warranty. I almost purchased one on ebay but lost the auction. I had considered purchasing a brand new one but leolady insists that the older models are far better. It just depends if you are willing to buy used or not. If you have any questions, she is an expert in this area and is usually happy to point people in the right direction for their needs.

You flatter me and I love ya for it!:kiss:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Well, leolady, I don't pretend to know everything and when I find folks who have a love and expertise in an area, I tend to take what their advice to heart. With you, it is this kind of kitchen equipment. When it comes to knives, Gadzooks, Buzz, JoeC and S.Shephard know far more than I will ever know. They pointed me in the direction of two awesome J knives.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just got this Globe mixer today! The Nutrimill mixer about a month ago. Great machines!! :WitchBrewsSmiley:

Attachments

• My Globe mixer next to the Nurmill Artiste mixer..jpg
    My Globe mixer next to the Nurmill Artiste mixer..jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 208