TGIFriday 12/16/2011 What's on the menu today?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have a few options but no set plans. Pasta or maybe some sort of breakfast food.

Any plans?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I forgot to take out the bottom round for stew so I may put it into a ziploc bag and do a cold water bath to thaw just enough so I can cube it. Or I may just wait till tomorrow for stew. In which case it will probably be pasta or some sort of breakfast meal.

Embryodad

No plans yet!...
DD did not come over today. (So Far)... I don't want to start cooking something, and then have her come over to start baking more darn cookies.
I don't really care; but there seems to be no communications. Like I'm supposed to know what is her thinking.... Kids!!!!....

The pizza DW made from the kit was Gosh Awful. Too much oil on the pan bottom.
It's a thick crust pizza, and more to be like a bread rather than a browned crisp crust. It was baked at Too High a temperature for a ready pre-baked crust.
I know; It ain't the first time I had to figure out a pizza boo boo!

Oh! Well.... We shall see!

Ronjohn

We're firmly in the no plans at the moment camp right now. Probably out to eat and then finish up the Christmas shopping. Just need to pick up a couple few quick things. Nothing to panic over.

Haven't decided on dinner yet. I need to use up some whole wheat bread, so I may make an overnight caprese-style strata (w/ eggs, tomatoes, mozzarella & green onions, etc.), & serve it with grilled asparagus for lunch/brunch.

Rustpot

Friday night is a Big dinner night for us. Being that it is the Sabbath,The table is set with our nice table wear. And Dinner, breakfast, & lunch is prepared today for Saturday. Here is what were having;

Wine: Chateau Marjosse 2007, Entre-Deux-Mers &
Tour De Segur, Chateau 2006, Lussac-Saint-Emilion,

Dessert wine; Ramos Pinto, Porto Ruby, Product of Portugal

Salad- Spicy corn stuffed tomato salad Recipe

Ingredients
2 small to medium sized ripe tomatoes
1/8 cup creamy buttermilk salad dressing
5/8 tablespoon parsley, snipped
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3/8 dash ground red pepper
5/8 cup approximately 4 ears of fresh sweet corn, grilled or boiled
1/8 cup Monterey jack cheese
1/8 cup green pepper, chopped
1/8 cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
1/8 cup onion, chopped
Lettuce leaves to garnish plates

Directions
Place tomatoes, stem side down, on cutting surface. Cut each into 4-6 wedges, cutting just to, but not through, the stemmed end.
Gently spread wedges apart slightly. Sprinkle with salt. Cover and chill.
In a small bowl, combine dressing, parsley, pepper, and red pepper.
In a medium bowl, combine corn, cheese, green pepper, cucumber, and onion. Add dressing mixture and toss gently to coat.
Cover and chill. Fill tomatoes with corn mixture.

CREAMY STUFFED BAKED POTATOES
3 large baking potatoes
3/4 cup dairy sour cream
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese -or-
1/4 cup crumbled Blue cheese

Bake potatoes 1 hour at 400°F. Increase temperature to 450°F. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; scoop out potato; set shells aside.
In a mixing bowl whip potatoes; add sour cream, onion and salt; beat until fluffy. (Potatoes may be slightly more moist than usual.) Fold in cheese. Divide into shells. Return to oven 12-15 minutes or until hot and lightly browned.

Stake - sautéed mushrooms
Ingredients
½ stick butter
2 Tabs Garlic powder
1 8oz button mushrooms or cut large mushrooms into 4 ¼.

Preparation
Melt butter in a large skillet, add mushrooms and coat with melted butter. Add Garlic powder sauté until mushrooms are almost black, about 15min. Serve over grilled stake.

Desert
Chocolate Fondue with strawberries & cheese cake

Breakfast
Bagels, cream cheese onion and Lox

Lunch
Greek Salad

Ingredients:
Bowl half full of Spinach leaves
8 small ripe tomatoes, quartered
1/3 cup diced oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, oil reserved
1 cucumber, sliced thick on the diagonal
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
18 Kalamata olives, drained
1 heaping tablespoon capers
2 small handfuls purslane or arugula
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
5-ounce or 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon or so dried oregano
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, optional

Put the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives and capers into a serving bowl half full of Spinach leaves. Add the purslane or arugula; season with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Put the feta on top; crumble the oregano over with your fingers. Drizzle the olive oil over, as well as the vinegar if using. Serve with bread.
:) Shalom

We're dining here tonight, thanks to a gift certificate my brother sent us for Xmas last year that we never got around to using. Can't believe it's right in town but we've yet to try it. Most likely because the Culpeper area now has so many good restaurants, we've developed favorites.

http://www.fotisrestaurant.com/

This takes me back to when my grandma was alive. Every Friday all the cooking & cleaning was done before sundown. One was not allowed to even turn on the lights or light the stove. She left the stovetop lit, & cooking went on all day - stuffed cabbage, flanken roast chicken, Matzo ball soup, borscht, rugalach, & on & on. Great menu RP. Could you post the recipes in the recipe forums, so we can find them? Thanks for the memories. :)

Friday night is a Big dinner night for us. Being that it is the Sabbath,The table is set with our nice table wear. And Dinner, breakfast, & lunch is prepared today for Saturday. Here is what were having;

Wine: Chateau Marjosse 2007, Entre-Deux-Mers &
Tour De Segur, Chateau 2006, Lussac-Saint-Emilion,

Dessert wine; Ramos Pinto, Porto Ruby, Product of Portugal

Salad- Spicy corn stuffed tomato salad Recipe

Ingredients
2 small to medium sized ripe tomatoes
1/8 cup creamy buttermilk salad dressing
5/8 tablespoon parsley, snipped
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3/8 dash ground red pepper
5/8 cup approximately 4 ears of fresh sweet corn, grilled or boiled
1/8 cup Monterey jack cheese
1/8 cup green pepper, chopped
1/8 cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
1/8 cup onion, chopped
Lettuce leaves to garnish plates

Directions
Place tomatoes, stem side down, on cutting surface. Cut each into 4-6 wedges, cutting just to, but not through, the stemmed end.
Gently spread wedges apart slightly. Sprinkle with salt. Cover and chill.
In a small bowl, combine dressing, parsley, pepper, and red pepper.
In a medium bowl, combine corn, cheese, green pepper, cucumber, and onion. Add dressing mixture and toss gently to coat.
Cover and chill. Fill tomatoes with corn mixture.

CREAMY STUFFED BAKED POTATOES
3 large baking potatoes
3/4 cup dairy sour cream
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese -or-
1/4 cup crumbled Blue cheese

Bake potatoes 1 hour at 400°F. Increase temperature to 450°F. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; scoop out potato; set shells aside.
In a mixing bowl whip potatoes; add sour cream, onion and salt; beat until fluffy. (Potatoes may be slightly more moist than usual.) Fold in cheese. Divide into shells. Return to oven 12-15 minutes or until hot and lightly browned.

Stake - sautéed mushrooms
Ingredients
½ stick butter
2 Tabs Garlic powder
1 8oz button mushrooms or cut large mushrooms into 4 ¼.

Preparation
Melt butter in a large skillet, add mushrooms and coat with melted butter. Add Garlic powder sauté until mushrooms are almost black, about 15min. Serve over grilled stake.

Desert
Chocolate Fondue with strawberries & cheese cake

Breakfast
Bagels, cream cheese onion and Lox

Lunch
Greek Salad

Ingredients:
Bowl half full of Spinach leaves
8 small ripe tomatoes, quartered
1/3 cup diced oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, oil reserved
1 cucumber, sliced thick on the diagonal
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
18 Kalamata olives, drained
1 heaping tablespoon capers
2 small handfuls purslane or arugula
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
5-ounce or 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon or so dried oregano
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, optional

Put the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives and capers into a serving bowl half full of Spinach leaves. Add the purslane or arugula; season with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Put the feta on top; crumble the oregano over with your fingers. Drizzle the olive oil over, as well as the vinegar if using. Serve with bread.
:) Shalom

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
lamb, finally. those'll be cooked simply- litely seasoned & broiled to a med-rare, although i'd thought of an herbed crumb-crust & pan/oven-cooking it. sides- i'm kinda hungry for bread stuffing, 'er a potato involving cream, lotsa butter, cheese, garlic & pepper. for haven't undergone my usual battle with the stuffed veggie-drawer yet.

i'll also get my thawed chix cooked, for a salad or sammich another day~

Embryodad

Kielbasi.......

That's it.... Oh! and Bread too! ... **Burp**

I was packaging and sealing for freezing the Kielbasi DW just bought...and I came across a older bag. I brought it upstairs, and I boiled it.

Weeze been just slicing and picking at it.
I had hunks of bread to chase it down with.
By the time I get done....I will need spoons of malox.

There are a bunch of cookies to choose from now..so that will be later on. Have to wait for the garlic taste to go away.

Nancy-MD

I made chicken alfredo over fettucini and a salad.

Attachments

• 12.16.11.jpg
    12.16.11.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 117

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
broiled lamb lollipops (finally), fork-smushed yukons w/ black truffle butter & cream, purple string beenz (they turn green during cooking), & summer squash~

Attachments

• IMG_2068553.jpg
    IMG_2068553.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 137

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
same for those cookies, jimmy. they're pretty.

the produce section where i prefer to shop has some neat stuff

Guts

broiled lamb lollipops (finally), fork-smushed yukons w/ black truffle butter & cream, purple string beenz (they turn green during cooking), & summer squash~

luvs that looks delicious and a very nice presentation too.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
WOW!! All the meals sound and LOOK wonderful.

Beautiful creamy alfredo Nan. VERY colorful cookies Jimmy and that kielbasa.
LUVS WOW what beautiful plating. Did you dredge the lamb in seasoned flour?

YUM!

We had small shells topped with tomato sauce, seasoned toasted bread crumbs and fresh grated romano & parmesan cheeses with a salad of green and red butter lettuce, vine tomato, mushroom caps and raw broccoli with homemade vinaigrette dressing. No pics tonight. My shoulder is killing me and the only thing I wanted to take was food and advil.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Work is finally tapered off to where I can do some nicer meals. Here I did breaded pork shoulder steaks with pan seared potatoes and carrot-broccoli medely with butter & brown sugar. Very tasty.

Dinner121511.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Work is finally tapered off to where I can do some nicer meals. Here I did breaded pork shoulder steaks with pan seared potatoes and carrot-broccoli medely with butter & brown sugar. Very tasty.

Dinner121511.jpg
Very nice Joe!! No bread?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
appreciated that, guts.....
peepz thx! & no, i didn't dredge. when i broil, i put the meat in unadorned save for seasonings. w/ lamb, i let the fat get crispy.
joe, that pork looks really good. nancy, u made my Mom's fave restaurant food.
& jimmy, anytime- antacids rock! haha.