Respect For The Ohio Shredded Chicken Sandwich!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have posted recipes of this on a food blog and discussed them briefly with people who are not from Ohio.
Apparently it's strictly a buckeye state creation, which is something I didn't really know until recently.

Some refer to them as creamed chicken sandwiches ( I have several friends that do, and I do as well- my boys grew up on these with cheesy bacon potato soup, a favourite in the winter months).

It's simply chicken meat and a cream of chicken soup combination.
Some add crushed saltines or Ritz crackers, I never have.
Some add celery and a little milk too, which is ok I suppose.
I normally went with the large cans of Swanson chicken meat, the soup, some onion powder and a pinch of thyme and poultry seasoning, because that's the way my Mother made them.

Here is the official home of these comforting sannies.

Also a bit from a discussion board concerning them which I found very interesting.

I indulged in 1 and 1/2 of these yesterday at our works potluck.
Every once in a while, I'll buy one at the A&W "root beer stand."
These are so good, one could easily eat two or three, no problem. :D

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Never, ever heard of such a thing! I think it is amazing (and good) that, in this day of global, instant communication, we still hang on to our regional specialties. For example, I recently stumbled onto "runzas" - something like a Cornish pasty, but made with cabbage, in Nebraska only. I made some and they are GOOD. Here in Mexico, shredded chicken is called "Pollo tinga" and usually has chiles in it, of course. It is used for tacos - our version of a sandwich, I guess. I'll have to try your recipe, Sass- I'm sure Jerry would love it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
You're welcome Karen.
These are the thing to make for any sort of informal gathering, like wedding, baby showers and potlucks around here.
Sloppy joes are also popular for the same.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I never heard of them either, and I've been in SE Ohio for a long long time. Then I looked at the map of places that serve these sandwiches ....for the most part all are north of I-70, so this is a Northern Ohio morsel. I will be happy to try one though. :D

Lefty

Yank
I wish they would have posted a better picture. You gave me an idea for the New England Version of that.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

http://cassiecraves.blogspot.com/2009/10/moms-shredded-chicken-sandwiches.html

Mom's Shredded Chicken Sandwiches

4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk (more or less depending on how thick you want the mixture to be)
Lots of black pepper
Salt to taste

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and mix well. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours. Serve on sandwich buns with American cheese, if desired.

Mom's shredded chicken sandwiches.jpg

Hells bells! I have never tried them with cheese, but I might now.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I never heard of them either, and I've been in SE Ohio for a long long time. Then I looked at the map of places that serve these sandwiches ....for the most part all are north of I-70, so this is a Northern Ohio morsel. I will be happy to try one though. :D
They're gooooood.. :tongue:
Here's one Doc, from Mary's A&W here in town, with the crispy, gooey melty cheese curds.:thumb:

2010-09-08 20-32-20.158.jpg

2010-09-08 20-34-48.803.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
How cool is that. I'm gonna have to try these. Basically a Chicken Sloppy Joe! Thanks!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

These tonight.
I got about 4 cups of chicken deboned from last night.
Added a can of cream of chicken soup and crushed crackers, then seasoned it.
Will serve on buns with mustard - which is delicious.

20181108_123514-768x768.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm sure they're way better with your own homecooked chicken - looks delicious!

I've never had cheese curds. Now added to my culinary bucket list!

Lee