Round Steak, pressure cooker (Joe V.)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe V's post from a dinner thread:

No formal recipe. I just do a seasoned flour dredge and fry the meat in some oil to brown it on all sides. Take the meat out then sauté a bunch of onions to soften, and deglaze the pan with a good splash of red wine to get all the "bits" off the bottom. I tossed the meat back in with two cups of beef broth and one cup water, and a bunch of chopped carrots, celery and a bay leaf. Stirred in about 2T of the remaining seasoned flour. Put the lid on, brought it up to pressure and set the timer for 20 minutes.

Did a quick release of the pressure in the sink and checked the meat's tenderness...fork tender and delicious! Start to finish in just at one hour. Served it on a bed of steamed Jasmine rice.

IMO, flavors intensify under pressure, so I don't season too heavily.

1# Round steak
Seasoned A/P flour (salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder & onion powder)
Oil for browning meat
1/2 Medium onion chopped
1 Large carrot chopped
1 Stalk celery chopped
1 Bay leaf
2C beef broth + 1C water
Red wine for deglazing pan (optional)

1C Rice (uncooked)

We are not huge dinner eaters, so this was dinner tonight and leftovers for tomorrow. A side salad was added as well.

Last edited:

chilefarmer

Round steak is really a good piece of meat. I love the beefy flavor. Your recipe sounds great. Mashed potatoes with gravy, Perfect meal. CF

Johnny West

Swiss steak is a favorite but since my boys moved out never make it anymore. I should for myself.

I also so a swiss style steak with venison, elk, or moose but making it like caccitore with onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and marinara.