What's Cooking, NCT? Sunday, 01/04 / Saturday, 01/10/2015.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm about to start making some Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo for the very first time this morning!

I've never made a Gumbo before, so this should be very interesting. I'll have it over rice.

Wish me good luck! :WitchBrewsSmiley:

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Good luck, Sherman. I think the only way you can really screw it up is to burn the roux or overcook the shrimp. I love gumbo of any variety.

I made some French Onion/Mushroom Soup last night so I'll have more of that for lunch. I used my regular French Onion Soup recipe with a little extra stock and put in a pkg of mixed button/bella/oyster/shiitake mushrooms when the onions were soft but nor caramelized. It was pretty darn good and nice for a little change.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here it is! My very first Gumbo. Just finished it! :weber:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 347

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Looks tasty, Sher. Haven't had gumbo since Lassie was a pup. :yum:

Celebrating daughter #2's 33rd. birthday today, but not eating for awhile as daughter #1 is waiting for grandson to wake up from his nap before they begin their 40 minute commute. I figured I'd post what's done, because it will be a circus when they get here, and the quality of the food will probably go downhill.

The square cut roast came out fork tender, and the red wine reduction gravy is delicious. I added some parsley & Parmesan cheese to the smashed taters...mmmmmm! The veggies will steam up pretty quick once the kids get here, and we'll be ready to tie on the feed bag. Mama made German chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for dessert, at the request of the birthday girl.

Attachments

• Dinner 010415-1.jpg
    Dinner 010415-1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Dinner 010415-2.jpg
    Dinner 010415-2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Dinner 010415-3.jpg
    Dinner 010415-3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 286

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
extras~ we ordered in 5-cheese pizza 1 night (& mandolin-cut crinkly kinda-fries w/ ranch/bleu dips. not quite fries; not quite chips.) nom. luv ricotta on my cuts, & they're generous w/ that.

a plethora of Asian food is lingering in my fridge, too. there were rangoon, & blake & i both got enough noodles to feed us fer a month. i got beef lo mein; he got chix fer himself.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks, JoeV!!

Your meal looks good as well!!! Looks like we both had gravy in mind today!! :WitchBrewsSmiley: :weber:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on your first gumbo, Shermie! Looks great!

Joe, what cut of beef did you use and how did you cook it? Looks wonderful!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Congrats on your first gumbo, Shermie! Looks great!

Joe, what cut of beef did you use and how did you cook it? Looks wonderful!

Lee
Lee, I used the $4.88/lb cut that was on sale. :yum: Darned if I remember what it was called, but it was some kind of square cut moo-cow meat. LOL

I seasoned the roast with salt, fresh cracked pepper, granulated garlic & granulated onion, then pan seared it in some olive oil on all sides. I put it in the crock pot on a bed of carrots, celery & onion, then deglazed the pan with about 1/2C of Merlot. When that was reduced I mixed in 16oz of beef broth and poured it all over the meat. I cooked the meat on low for 5 hours then removed it to cool on a cutting board. It was 175F at that point. We turned the drippings into gravy with some dilluted flour & water. I cut up the roast and put it on the serving dish, topped with about 1/3 of the gravy, covered with foil and put in the oven on 175F for about 2-1/2 hrs until it was dinner time.

I forgot that DW made Broccoli-slaw as well (it was hiding in the fridge).

Attachments

• Dinner 010415-4.jpg
    Dinner 010415-4.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC_0263.jpg
    DSC_0263.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 350

homecook

Sounds like a bottom round roast, Joe. My mom used to make them the best but in the oven (before crockpots lol). I'll have to try that cut sometime soon.

Saturday I made a Patty Melt and added mushrooms. Sunday I made a couple seafood pizzas similar to what Red Lobster used to serve.

Attachments

• 102_4162.JPG
    102_4162.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 287
  • 102_4165.JPG
    102_4165.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 102_4167.JPG
    102_4167.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 272

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, what beautiful pizzas, Barb!

How EVER did you get the dough so round??? Mine always turn out *ahem* rustically-shaped.

Lee

homecook

Wow, what beautiful pizzas, Barb!

How EVER did you get the dough so round??? Mine always turn out *ahem* rustically-shaped.

Lee

Thanks Lee! LOL These are made on tortillas. They're like an appetizer pizza. When making regular pizzas mine are very "rustic" also..

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Day three and the last of the roast beef. Boy, was that a good roast. I decided to add Hasselback potatoes, then topped them with sour cream. After three days of beef, we're looking forward to Pasta Primavera tomorrow.

Attachments

• Dinner 010615.jpg
    Dinner 010615.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 431

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Lee, I used the $4.88/lb cut that was on sale. :yum: Darned if I remember what it was called, but it was some kind of square cut moo-cow meat. LOL

I seasoned the roast with salt, fresh cracked pepper, granulated garlic & granulated onion, then pan seared it in some olive oil on all sides. I put it in the crock pot on a bed of carrots, celery & onion, then deglazed the pan with about 1/2C of Merlot. When that was reduced I mixed in 16oz of beef broth and poured it all over the meat. I cooked the meat on low for 5 hours then removed it to cool on a cutting board. It was 175F at that point. We turned the drippings into gravy with some dilluted flour & water. I cut up the roast and put it on the serving dish, topped with about 1/3 of the gravy, covered with foil and put in the oven on 175F for about 2-1/2 hrs until it was dinner time.

I forgot that DW made Broccoli-slaw as well (it was hiding in the fridge).

Beautiful... :eating2:

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like a bottom round roast, Joe. My mom used to make them the best but in the oven (before crockpots lol). I'll have to try that cut sometime soon.

Saturday I made a Patty Melt and added mushrooms. Sunday I made a couple seafood pizzas similar to what Red Lobster used to serve.

:chef::bbq3:

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Looks tasty, Sher. Haven't had gumbo since Lassie was a pup. :yum:

Celebrating daughter #2's 33rd. birthday today, but not eating for awhile as daughter #1 is waiting for grandson to wake up from his nap before they begin their 40 minute commute. I figured I'd post what's done, because it will be a circus when they get here, and the quality of the food will probably go downhill.

The square cut roast came out fork tender, and the red wine reduction gravy is delicious. I added some parsley & Parmesan cheese to the smashed taters...mmmmmm! The veggies will steam up pretty quick once the kids get here, and we'll be ready to tie on the feed bag. Mama made German chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for dessert, at the request of the birthday girl.

:readytoeat:

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
My supper looks sick compared to everyone elses but it was very good,

Pork Roast with Potatoes and Carrots and a little gravy poured over all.

1618663_10203251469716416_1698520779074233854_n.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
My French Onion Mushroom Soup:

0aad424d-4ff1-4a0b-b842-e5e012c5523e.jpg

The broiler function on my oven is not working like it's supposed to :(.

I'm feeling a copycat moment coming on. I was planning on Mediterranean pizza this week. I've never done the tortilla pizza, so I think I'll give that a try. Lot going on here and that would be quicker.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my pal brought me haluski. tho blake is gonna visit, so we may order in tonite, or get pub-grub.
blake has a pulmonary embolism, so he may wanna stay in tonite.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
AS planned, Pasta Primavera. The veggie drawer had broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas, mixed sweet peppers, sweet onion and brussels sprouts, all waiting to make our bellies happy-happy.:corny:

Attachments

• Dinner 010715.jpg
    Dinner 010715.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 285

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
think i'll make a dinner salad w/ fries & steak. pierogies if I have not got a steak in my fridge.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Found some pork tenderloin in the freeer and pineapple chunks in the cupboard, so I turned it into Sweet & Sour Pork over rice.

Attachments

• Dinner 010815-2.jpg
    Dinner 010815-2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, that photo could be in an upscale food magazine!

Lee