Salade Nicoise

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here's my version of another great summer dinner salad. Arranged salads are so cool! :smile:

Lee

Imported tuna (I like the stuff that comes in a glass jar from Italy)
Boiled Yukon Gold potatoes
Green beans (I can't easily get haricots verts)
Hard boiled egg
Nicoise olives
Cornichons (they are little French pickles, but I don't like them, so I use dill pickles or capers)
Tomatoes
Green onions
Bed of lettuce

Dijon vinagrette
Salade Nicoise.JPG
Salade Nicoise.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm getting better at making these!

Three important things:

1. Season each item separately
2. Use a great imported tuna in oil
3. Make a delicious dressing and just LIGHTLY drizzle (I made a garlic herbed dijon vinegrette, based on Jacques Pepin's dressing for Salade Nicoise)

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
QBro made these again the other night. He went a little overboard on the ingredients, LOL!

Lee

Attachments

• Salade Nicoise again.JPG
    Salade Nicoise again.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,249

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We have salade Nicoise every few weeks in summer - a tasty way to get all of your major food groups in one dish. I like to make it with salmon the best, but salmon has become very expensive here in the last several months, so we may be reverting to tuna once the weather warms up. Nice pics!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump.

A great summer meal that won't heat up the kitchen.

I forgot the HB eggs this time, but used a can of (expensive) imported tuna in olive oil, so we loved it anyway!

Lee
Salade Nicoise June 2014.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made another couple of these salads last night for the end of summer. My garden beans, grape tomatoes and thyme - everything else was storebought (my Dad gave me the imported tuna filets for my birthday in the Spring).
I cut the salad recipe in half, since I was only making two salads. I made the whole recipe of dressing, though, since it's really delicious.
Lee

Nicoise Salade
Ingredients

Directions
Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water and season with salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until fork-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl; drizzle with the wine and let cool. Reserve the saucepan.

Meanwhile, bring a separate saucepan of salted water to a boil. Fill a bowl with salted ice water. Add the haricots verts to the boiling water; cook until crisp-tender and bright green, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain and immediately plunge into the ice water to cool; drain and pat dry.

Place the eggs in the reserved
saucepan and cover with cold water by about 1 inch. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then cover, remove from the heat and let stand, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, then run under cold water to cool. Peel under cold running water.

Make the
dressing: Whisk the vinegar, shallot, mustard, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified.

Toss the tomatoes ian a small bowl with salt and pepper to taste. Add about 1/4 cup dressing to the potatoes and toss. Quarter the hard-cooked eggs.

Divide the lettuce among 4 plates. Arrange the
potatoes, haricots verts, radishes, hard-cooked eggs and tuna on top. Pour any juices from the tomatoes into the dressing, then add the tomatoes to the plates. Drizzle with the dressing and top with the olives.

Photograph by Johnny Miller
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine
Advertisement
© 2015 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved.
Nicoise 0=15.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These are so pretty and they turn out differently every time I make it!

This was Kathy's and my meal for our second-to-last Friday night during Lent this year.

Lee
Nicoise 3-18-16.JPG

Last edited:

Johnny West

Here is tonight's dinner. I didn't use the asparagus but added some avocado instead.

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,017

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks great, John, but where are your cornichons???

I'll be making one of these when my haricots jaune (yellow beans) come in - pretty soon.

Lee

Johnny West

I can't have them since they have sugar which is restricted. I thought about using capers but figured there was enough.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had to jump on the Salade Nicoise bandwagon this month, too. That delicious dressing on the side.

And a glass of Zin.

I have enough for another one this week, too!

Lee
Nicoise.JPG

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Luv, luv nicoise-- I have my Parent's 1970's nostalgia recipe & 1 we were taught @ school that they put a modern twist on, & that uses tuna steak & quail egg & pencil asparagi & thus-- both rock to me--

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I had to jump on the Salade Nicoise bandwagon this month, too. That delicious dressing on the side.

And a glass of Zin.

I have enough for another one this week, too!

Lee

Beautiful Lee!! What dressing did you use?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful Lee!! What dressing did you use?

Peep, I used the dressing in the recipe I posted. It's great!

Lee

1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Make the dressing: Whisk the vinegar, shallot, mustard, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
My take on Salade Nicoise

I made a few changes - I added some anchovy fillets, made string bean salad (rather than just cooked beans), steamed the red potatoes (then tossed them with splash of white vinegar while hot), grape tomatoes and used Kalamata olives (they were on hand and I couldn't find Nicoise olives when I went shopping).

picture.php

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful plate, Peep! :clap:

When I read about the potatoes splashed with vinegar, my mouth flooded, LOL!

How did your family like the arranged salad?

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Beautiful plate, Peep! :clap:

When I read about the potatoes splashed with vinegar, my mouth flooded, LOL!

How did your family like the arranged salad?

Lee
Thank you Lee. Just plain beans and potatoes sounded boring to me. So I just had to jazz them up. PLUS I steamed them in the Instant Pot. I also cooked the eggs in the IP. I steam just about all my veggies in the IP or microwave. IP sweet potatoes are fantastic. They are so hard to peel. BUT all I do is cut them in half long way and steam in IP. The skin just falls off.

That's my plate above. DD wanted to do hers and hubs plate herself. She complained theirs didn't look as good. :biggrin: