Grilled Lobster Tail?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Since we are staying home for the 500, we got the surf and turf special at the meat market for V-Day.

I've never cooked a lobster tail, and I wanted to grill it along with the steak. Any tips for grilling one?

buckytom

Grill Master
you're going to need to split them open to expose the meat. like any fish, you're gonna be grilling this quickly. a minute or two too long, and they'll get tough and stringy.

and baste with butter before you put them on the grill to help keep them moist.

silversage had a good technique of the way she split and cooked them, they came out beautifully with the meat popping out of the shell. i'll see if i can find her post.

High Cheese

Saucier
I've done whole lobsters by par-boiling, splitting, then grilling quickly over high heat. Meat side first, then shell side and basted with parsley butter.

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks keltin. that was the post i'd mentioned. how can you forget a picture like that? it's exactly what i picture of when i think of lobster tail.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
The tails thawed faster than I thought they would, so I cooked them tonight. I basically used the technique shown here: http://www.grillingcompanion.com/grilling-lobster-tails/

Man were they delicious!!!

img05061.jpg

img05071.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful surf and turf! Great grill marks, Rob!

What kind of grill did you use?

Lee

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Thank you! I did these on the gas grill. I have a Kenmore four burner. The grates are porcelain coated cast iron.

I'll definitely have to give lobster tails another try. While I'm a huge fan of whole lobster & make it fairly frequently (or at least as frequently as it's on sale - lol!), I've only cooked lobster tails once. Bought them frozen to use in a large paella I was making for a dinner party & found them UNBELIEVABLY SALTY. As in almost inedibly salty. What a disappointment. These were the Spiny (or warm-water) lobster tails. Now that Maine (or cold-water) lobster tails appear more often than not in the markets, maybe they'll be better.