Omaha Steaks?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Anyone every use the online ordering for Omaha Steaks? I just ordered the "Fantastic Feast" via a mail coupon they sent me.

http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/browse/sku/4665?shoptype=SEARCH&shopsrc=TRMfeast&RAND=36B4652

Besides the advertised meat, I got 6 extra steak burgers, a cheap knife set and an even cheaper cuttng board. The hardware I'll be giving away to someone (re-gift anyone?).

Shipping was 16.99, and should be here in 7 days.

At 2 portions per dinner (we cook for two) we have 12 nights of meat coming (plus gifts) for $66.98 = 5.52 per night.

Not exactly a GREAT deal, but if Omaha is really "all that" and some of the best meat available, it may be worth it?

Either way, I've been wanting to try them, so we shall see soon.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me if the meat is good. I've looked at their site several times, but didn't know anyone who had ordered from them before. Let me know what you think when it arrives, Keltin.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
In my opinion, they are good meat. I do prefer buying locally. With a gift certificate, you cannot beat the deal. That is how I got mine as well.

The shipping is cool, they come in dry ice. I enjoy the dry ice as well. Fill a pot with water and dump it in and make monster noises when the white smoke starts.

Than for the mega kids

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcFfx3cl9Po[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Ywwy__pxo[/ame]

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
This is why men need constant monitoring.:yum::yum::yum: I loved those clips, Andy.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've been considering trying them also Keltin but never got the nudge ( a coupon or a good reference from someone else who had tried them). I'll be looking forward to your appraisal of the whole deal.
Great video clips Andy ....now I want to order just for the dry ice. :yum: :yum: :hide:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
We've had them a couple of times. They were very good but expensive. I guess if you find a good enough deal (coupon, gift certificate, etc.) they would be well worth it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Forget the meat I just want the dry ice, a truck load of the stuff. :brows::whistling:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I've gotten them as gifts a couple times. The meat is ok, nothing out of this world. This year I got some filets that I made into Steak Diane, and with the sauce it was hard to tell the quality. There were some small precooked chicken breast filets that were plumped full of solution, but they were palatable. The burger patties are your standard factory processed frozen burger patties (think high school cafeteria). I got some stuffed baked potatoes that I've yet to try. I also got some caramel apple tarts that were really good!

It was a nice gift, but I won't be running to their catalog to order more. You can do much better at your local grocery.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
:agree:

Nothing new to add; but I would reiterate that the quality of the beef is excellent !:a1:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I think when it gets here. I'm looking forward to the dry ice now!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

High Cheese

Saucier
What do they grade the meat as?

I was going to order a couple steaks from another site a while back but couldn't find the grade for the life of me. They could be sending Select for all I know. lol

High Cheese

Saucier
If you want prime (and the cost associated with it) I've heard that Allen Brothers is good.

http://www.allenbrothers.com/

Thanks, I'll check them out. The point is, why spend top dollar on Choice if I can get it at my supermarket for $7.99lb. Like those fancy meat cases some stores have with the thck cuts, all you're getting is the same crap on the shelves. It just looks nicer. Choice is Choice no matter how you cut it. And I've had some bad Choice steaks.

Anyone every use the online ordering for Omaha Steaks? I just ordered the "Fantastic Feast" via a mail coupon they sent me.

http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/browse/sku/4665?shoptype=SEARCH&shopsrc=TRMfeast&RAND=36B4652

Besides the advertised meat, I got 6 extra steak burgers, a cheap knife set and an even cheaper cuttng board. The hardware I'll be giving away to someone (re-gift anyone?).

Shipping was 16.99, and should be here in 7 days.

At 2 portions per dinner (we cook for two) we have 12 nights of meat coming (plus gifts) for $66.98 = 5.52 per night.

Not exactly a GREAT deal, but if Omaha is really "all that" and some of the best meat available, it may be worth it?

Either way, I've been wanting to try them, so we shall see soon.

I placed an order through QVC about a year ago, for a different package. The burgers were very thin & tasteless, as were the beef kabobs. There was no fat, which imho gives the beef some flavor. The cheap-o cutting board & knives, I didn't need. Too much dry ice. Had to throw it in the sink & run hot water over it to melt the thing down so it wouldn't melt/drip all over my kitchen floor. There was way too much packaging -- which I'm sure contributed to the s/h cost.

I ordered from OS because I mostly cook for a party of one, wanted the convenience & try it out. Bottom line is, I probably won't do it again, as I can find fresh from the market. Make friends with your butcher & fish monger. Hot dogs & chicken breasts, I purchase from my local market. I go with Nathan's or Hebrew National. Everything was vacuum-packed, but the flavor wasn't there. The crab cakes were good.

To get back on track re OS -- I also bought a cheese cake, thrown in for $9.99. It was very small & frozen. Took a few days to defrost. The texture & flavor was not what you would get at a bakery.

If you want convenience, & food delivered to your front door, ordering on line is just that.

Last edited:

High Cheese

Saucier
Sorry to go off topic Keltin.

I found a minute in my very, very busy day to email Hebrew National and ask why exactly they only have 7. Here's what I got back:

Our consumers suggested a smaller package versus the standard 16 ounces. With the traditional 8 links to a package, each link was thinner than what our consumers preferred, so the link count was reduced.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, lot’s of varying opinions! This should really be interesting.

Omaha Steaks has been around since 1917…..93 years, and going strong and still growing. If they were serving crap over and over again, they wouldn’t have made it this long. So there is something there……and I’ll soon be able to make a personally informed opinion about it.

I’ve been curious about them for a while, and for 49.99, it was too hard to pass up.

If it turns out to be crap, then the dogs and cats will eat very well. :lol:

Overall, it was worth 49.99 to me (+16.99 S&H) to find out.

If they are good, then the steaks are cheaper than I can get local. I looked at Publix tonight and saw Top Sirloin Filets for $10.99 per lb which is 68.6 cents per ounce. From Omaha, those same steaks that are coming to my door are 55.2 cents per ounce. A savings of 13.4 cents per ounce or $2.14 per pound. If the quality is equal to or exceeds Publix, then it could be a very worthwhile deal (depending on how the rest of the meat turns out), especially when you consider the value of your time and the price of gas.

Either way, it was mostly a curiosity thing. If you are curious as to whether a movie is good or not, then you buy the movie ticket and see for yourself.

When it gets here, I’ll do a full picture spread of the packaging, the meat, and then cook up a pair of the steaks and see how they go. Should be a very fun experiment!

And High Cheese……this guy feels your pain!!! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhXzM70CNrw