Dutch Oven Ham (Outdoor DO)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s a favorite of ours that we cook often, even if it isn’t Thanksgiving or Christmas!

Dutch Oven Ham

Ingredients

1 6-8 lb Ham (fully cooked)
1 can Pineapple chunks (drained)
1 jar Maraschino Cherries (drained)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar (loosely packed)

Dutch Oven Size: 10
Charcoal: 22 - 8 Bottom, 14 Top
Cook Time: 2 hours

Procedure

You’ll want to find a small ham so that you can place it in the DO and get the lid closed. You will place it in so that the wide round side is down and the shank (small pointy end) is up. On some hams, you can trim a bit of the shank off so that the ham fits. In others, the bone runs all the way to the tip making it tough to trim it down. If your ham won’t fit as is, then bone it. Cut deep into the middle of the ham until you hit bone, then begin “peeling” the meat back as you cut it away from the bone. When you do this, it is often necessary to cut the ham into pieces, typically three.

Put the ham in the DO. Pour the pineapples and cherries over the meat and then brush most off so that it falls to the bottom. Dust the ham liberally with brown sugar. Cover the DO, add 14 coals to the lid and 8 underneath. After it has cooked 1 hours, replenish the colas with a fresh batch. After 2 hours, remove from heat and allow to rest and cool for 15 minutes.

The meat can be sliced, but typically shreds at this point. It makes excellent sandwiches as well as being the main meat for a meal.

Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Oh man that sounds really good! And all my favorites in it, pineapple, cherries and brown sugar!!
Thanks!

RNE228

Does the acidity of the pineapple affect the seasoning of the DO? I have always tried to keep the high acid ingredients to a minimum.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Does the acidity of the pineapple affect the seasoning of the DO? I have always tried to keep the high acid ingredients to a minimum.

Nope, not at all. I even make chili in my DO which is more acidic, and have had no problems at all.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We made this tonight. So here are some pics. We used a small picnic as that is way more than enough meat for the two of us.

Load the DO.
Step1-8.jpg

Cook for 2 hours.
Step2-6.jpg

Pull the ham out.
Step3-4.jpg

And slice it.
Step4-3.jpg