Keltin's "Grilled" Meatloaf

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
To cook this meatloaf, you’ll need a kettle style charcoal grill that is 18” or bigger, or a vertical water smoker that has at least two meat racks, or a gas grill with dual burners. The smoke flavor you get from cooking the meatloaf is incredible. And it even develops a smoke ring! Once you’ve had meatloaf this way, you may never go back to the conventional cooking methods. Naturally, this recipe is a bit more about technique, so feel free to use your own meatloaf recipe, but make sure you “grill” it!

“Grilled” Meatloaf

Ingredients:

Loaf
3.5 to 4 lbs ground beef
2 packs Onion Mushroom Soup mix
4 Tbsp Ketchup
2 Tbsp A1 Steak Sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp wet mustard
1 egg, beaten
1 cup bread crumbs

Glaze
1/2 cup Ketchup
1 Tbsp A1 Steak Sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar

Preparation:
Mix the Glaze ingredients together in a small mixing bowl until the brown sugar has completely dissolved. Set aside.

Combine all of the Loaf ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Kneed this until it is thoroughly mixed together. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Form the meat mixture into a large ball and place on the sheet. Now, form the ball into a loaf shape that is about 3 inches tall, 5 inches wide, and as long as it takes to keep the other two dimensions as stated.

Kettle Style Cooker: Start a charcoal fire and bank the coals to one side. Place a sheet of aluminum foil on cooking grate on the opposite side of the coals, and then place the meatloaf on top of the foil. Add wet hickory chips to the coals every 25 minutes or so, and cook for 1.5 to 2 hours (add the glaze during the last 30 minutes of cooking!), or until the internal temp is 160 degrees. Remove the meatloaf and tent for 10 minutes before carving.

Vertical Water Smoker: Remove the water pan, and wrap one of the cooking grids in aluminum foil. Place the foil covered grid on the lower rack setting, and the second rack (the one that will hold the meatloaf) on the top rack setting. Once the coals are ready (about 1 full chimney worth of coals), place the meatloaf directly on the top rack and cover. Add wood for smoke every 25 minutes, and glaze the meatloaf during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Total cook time will be 1.5 to 2 hours or until the internal temps is 160. Allow to rest covered 10 minutes before carving.

Gas Grill: Same principal as the Kettle grill. Using only one burner set to medium heat, place a smoker box or a foil pack of wood over the burner and put the meatloaf on the opposite side. Cook for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the internal temps is 160, and glaze during the last 30 minutes. Allow to rest covered 10 minutes before carving.

Notice in this method you aren’t smoking the meatloaf but are instead using the grill/smoker as an oven. The temperature is much higher during this cooking (350 to 400), but you do use wood for smoke.

Also please note that the cook time is up to two hours, so you will need to add more coals to your fire as you do this. One batch of coals is good for about 1 hour or so of cook time.

You could also do this in a barrel type smoker by following the Kettle style instructions. If you have an offset firebox, consider building a fire in the cooking chamber if your smoker allows that, otherwise, you’ll have to have a super hot fire in your firebox, unless, of course, you just want to smoke this loaf low and slow.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Just pruned some cherry trees and was thinking I needed to put the wood to some good use. Thanks for the inspiration!

just make sure you season the wood first. let it sit for awhile before you use it...

cherry wood is my favorite to cook with. it always give a nice smooth smoke flavor and always a very nice "smoke ring" in your food

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That sounds great Keltin! I use a square charcoal grill, but I am sure that will work fine on it!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That sounds great Keltin! I use a square charcoal grill, but I am sure that will work fine on it!

It should! Just bank the coals to one side, meatloaf on the other. Add wood to the coals, and close the lid. Basically an outdoor oven. Should take about 1.5 to 2 hours. Great stuff!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Made the grilled meatloaf tonight with hickory wood for smoke.

Step_1-8.jpg

Step_2-8.jpg

Step_3-5.jpg

Step_4-4.jpg

Derek

Banned
I hate I mean I HATE meat loaf, I don't know what it is but every time I've ate meatloaf it sucked and it was dry or too greesey, But yours look good.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks mouth watering Keltin. :thumb: Nicely done. Where is the hickery wood? I'm not seeing it. Where do you get your wood for smoking? I'm totally new to the idea of slow cooking and smoking.

I was never a big fan of meat loaf either Derek, that is until my wife made meat loaf sandwiches for us to take along on the boat one day. She put Miracle Whip on the sandwich. Wow was it good. I look forward to meatloaf now, and especially whats left over for sandwiches the day or two following the meal. :D

Derek

Banned
I was never a big fan of meat loaf either Derek, that is until my wife made meat loaf sandwiches for us to take along on the boat one day. She put Miracle Whip on the sandwich. Wow was it good. I look forward to meatloaf now, and especially whats left over for sandwiches the day or two following the meal. :D
You know Doc, I would put Bam's green hot sauce on the meatloaf instead of Mayo, Mayo is just so plain.

:respect:the heat :)

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Is there anything that men won't grill? that looks really good Keltin! Wish mine remembered how to freaking use his!!!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Looks mouth watering Keltin. :thumb: Nicely done. Where is the hickery wood? I'm not seeing it. Where do you get your wood for smoking? I'm totally new to the idea of slow cooking and smoking.

first off, very nice looking hunk of meat Keltin..nice smoke ring

Doc you can buy your wood almost anywhere now...walmart,Home Depot,Kroeger.

once you eat a grilled or smoked meatloaf, you wont want to eat it any other way ever again

GrillinFool

You know Doc, I would put Bam's green hot sauce on the meatloaf instead of Mayo, Mayo is just so plain.

:respect:the heat :)

Meatloaf is my favorite comfort food. ML with mashed potatoes. And part of that is the leftover sammiches. But for me, the only way to go is with mayo. Meatloaf, particularly grilled meatloaf, doesn't need any extra heat like that. At least not in my book. I add the heat when making it. The last time I did this, I slathered the top of one of the meatloaves with chipotle tobasco!!!

Oh, one other tip, if you are as into the leftover sammiches as I am, try making them in metal bread baking pans. That way the meatloaf is the perfect size for sammiches. This may have been done here but as usual, I'm flying blind. The pics are blocked...So sorry if I repeated the obvious...

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Keltins meatloaf was free form...basically same shape as a fatty...

to further your suggestion GF about the bread pan (which is a great one)... i put the meatloaf upside down in the smoker, when the meat has set a little, i pull the pan off...thus getting a nice smoke ring :wink:

i as well season my meatloaf well...no need for added spice when using it for leftovers except maybe S&P

Derek you always had meatloaf that was dry because they overcooked it.... digital meat thermometers are a wonderful thing, no guessing, always cooked to perfection

Meatloaf is my favorite comfort food. ML with mashed potatoes. And part of that is the leftover sammiches. But for me, the only way to go is with mayo. Meatloaf, particularly grilled meatloaf, doesn't need any extra heat like that. At least not in my book. I add the heat when making it. The last time I did this, I slathered the top of one of the meatloaves with chipotle tobasco!!!

Oh, one other tip, if you are as into the leftover sammiches as I am, try making them in metal bread baking pans. That way the meatloaf is the perfect size for sammiches. This may have been done here but as usual, I'm flying blind. The pics are blocked...So sorry if I repeated the obvious...

suziquzie

Ok guys, heres your mission....

The good kind of ground turkey was on sale, buy a 3 lb pkg get one free.....
Do you think ground turkey would work just the same with Keltin's recipe?

GrillinFool

You will need to add a lot of flavor. Try soaking it in Worcestershire, garlic, onion overnight. Put in a BUNCH of chopped onion. The onion will keep it moist. Other than that, use a meat therm so you don't overdo it and have fun

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

ground turkey works great

homemade turkey italian sausage getting ready to go onto grill(indirect heat)lots of garlic

s4ut94.jpg

rolled and ready for the freezer to firm up
174mqp.jpg

all ready to eat...the middle one

fkntb8.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Hey Doc, you can see the slowly burning Hickory chunks in the first pic. And you're right, the sandwiches are the best part!! :thumb:

30jim8j.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
first off, very nice looking hunk of meat Keltin..nice smoke ring

Doc you can buy your wood almost anywhere now...walmart,Home Depot,Kroeger.

once you eat a grilled or smoked meatloaf, you wont want to eat it any other way ever again

Thanks Bam, and you're right, I bought the Hickory Chunks at a Mom and Pop grocery called Lucky's. You really can find the wood just about anywhere!

Did you notice how small the smoke ring was though? I didn't soak the wood this time, and didn't have a water pan. So there wasn't a lot of moisture for forming the nitric acid. I know there is controversy on whether soaked wood (water in the wood) aids in the smoke ring, but this is the smallest ring on a loaf I ever got, and it's also the first time I didn't soak the wood. Next time I do this, I'll soak the wood and we'll look again at the ring and see if it does make a difference. :thumb:

But the ring is really only cosmetic. The smoke flavor was through and through in the loaf.

GrillinFool

Thanks Bam, and you're right, I bought the Hickory Chunks at a Mom and Pop grocery called Lucky's. You really can find the wood just about anywhere!

Did you notice how small the smoke ring was though? I didn't soak the wood this time, and didn't have a water pan. So there wasn't a lot of moisture for forming the nitric acid. I know there is controversy on whether soaked wood (water in the wood) aids in the smoke ring, but this is the smallest ring on a loaf I ever got, and it's also the first time I didn't soak the wood. Next time I do this, I'll soak the wood and we'll look again at the ring and see if it does make a difference. :thumb:

But the ring is really only cosmetic. The smoke flavor was through and through in the loaf.

Some woods give better smoke rings than others. Cherry gives a MUCH better ring than apple.

I have never heard of a water pan having any impact on a smoke ring. What is this voodoo you speak of?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Some woods give better smoke rings than others. Cherry gives a MUCH better ring than apple.

I have never heard of a water pan having any impact on a smoke ring. What is this voodoo you speak of?

Slowly combusting wood releases nitrogen dioxide. Nitrogen dioxide mixes with moisture on the meat to form Nitric Acid. The Nitric Acid seeps into the meat and discolors it giving it that ring. It has been argued that, the more moisture present, the more nitric acid that can form thus the bigger the smoke ring.

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuehelp/g/gsmokering.htm

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Keltin you gotta try cherry for that beautiful red smoke ring..lol

plus cherry tastes very good... did i mention that cherry is my favorite wood?

no? well cherry is my favorite wood..lol:brows::clap:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin you gotta try cherry for that beautiful red smoke ring..lol

plus cherry tastes very good... did i mention that cherry is my favorite wood?

no? well cherry is my favorite wood..lol:brows::clap:

Cherry is on the list. It's actually easier to find White Oak here than Cherry or Pecan. I may have to mail order it.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Cherry is on the list. It's actually easier to find White Oak here than Cherry or Pecan. I may have to mail order it.

when i am open fire cooking or on the pit, oak is always my base. i like the flavor of it plus the added bonus is that it burns hot... someday i would like to try walnut or pecan... but thats about as hard as finding a fresh crawfish up here..lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
when i am open fire cooking or on the pit, oak is always my base. i like the flavor of it plus the added bonus is that it burns hot... someday i would like to try walnut or pecan... but thats about as hard as finding a fresh crawfish up here..lol

I LOVE oak, especially on chicken! We do a big open pit cook with a huge grate over an oak fire regularly. The smell is incredible, and it's fun playing with the fire! :yum:

I'm thinking about ordering this.