Orange Russian Pork Roast (Outdoor DO)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well, there’s nothing “Russian” about this except for the Russian dressing that is used. Still, I thought it was a neat sounding name for this recipe. It sounds exotic, but it is incredibly simple.

Orange Russian Pork Roast

Ingredients:

3 – 4 lb Pork roast (shoulder, blade, arm or sirloin)
1 cup Russian dressing
1 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp minced garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste

Dutch Oven: 10”
Coals: 24 = 10 on bottom, 14 on top
Cook Time: 2 hours

Preparation:

Mix the Russian dressing, 1/2 a cup or the orange juice (reserve the other half), and the garlic until well blended. Set aside.

Salt and pepper the roast and place it on a trivet inside the DO. Add 1/2 a cup of the orange juice to the DO. Place 10 coals under the DO in a ring and 14 on top in a ring. Allow this to cook undisturbed for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, replenish the coals. Depending on the cut of pork you used, you can flip the roast over at this time. Now, pour the Russian dressing mixture over the pork and cover the DO. Allow to cook another 30 minutes, and then baste the pork with the pan sauce. If you are using the trivet, it’s hard to get a spoon down into the sauce, so a turkey baster is ideal here. Cover, and cook another 35 minutes or until the internal temperature is 185 degrees.

Remove from heat and allow to rest/cool for 10-15 minutes. Pull or cut the meat from the bone and then chop. Place the chopped meat in a serving bowl, then top with 4 Tbsp of the sauce from the DO. Stir well to incorporate and serve. This makes great sandwiches or can simply be eaten with a fork. Top with your favorite sauce or slaw if desired.

Notes:

You could use just about any cut of pork roast with this. I used a small shoulder, and by small, I mean it was really nothing more than the joint section of a real shoulder.....and from a small pig to boot! Butts or Sirloin roasts should work just as well.