Smoked Sauasge w/Vegetables (Outdoor DO)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s a favorite standby for me. It’s super simple and very yummy. Plus, you get to use your outdoor Dutch Oven!

Smoked Sausage with Vegetables

Ingredients:

1 Large Smoked Sausage (such as Hillshire)
1 Bag Baby Carrots, washed and drained
1 Medium Onion, coarsely chopped
5 Medium Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
2 Tbsp Minced garlic
1 Bottle of Beer (pale, 12 oz)
2 Tbsp oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Dutch Oven: 10”
Coals: 20 - 12 on top, 8 on bottom

Preparation:

Place the potatoes in a large boil with the onion and garlic. Add 1 Tbsp of the oil along with salt and pepper then toss the mixture to evenly coat.

Prepare the coals and place 8 under the DO and 12 on the lid. Let the DO heat for 5 minutes. Once heated, remove the lid to a safe place and add the final Tbsp of oil to the DO. Next, add the potatoes, onion and garlic mixture. Stir to distribute. Now, add the carrots and arrange them so that they rest on top of the potatoes and onions. Replace the lid and allow to cook for 35 - 40 minutes or until the potatoes are just becoming tender.

Now, Add 3/4 of the beer to the DO (the last 1/4 is for the cook!). Finally, lay the smoked sausage on top of the vegetables. Return the lid to the DO and allow to cook for another 15 – 20 minutes.

To serve, plate the vegetables on a large platter. Cut the sausage on a bias into 1/2" medallions and place the medallions on top of the vegetables and deliver the platter to the table.

Fresh corn on the cob and hot buttered rolls or biscuits go great with this.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ooooh, this sounds really, really good. Sausage is a big favorite around here so I think this is dinner for tomorrow! Thanks!

Oh, can I use a Guinness for the beer? That's what I have but if it needs to be something different, can you recommend a brand?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ooooh, this sounds really, really good. Sausage is a big favorite around here so I think this is dinner for tomorrow! Thanks!

Oh, can I use a Guinness for the beer? That's what I have but if it needs to be something different, can you recommend a brand?

Guinness is fine. It will add a darker flavor to the veggies, so make sure you like the taste of your beer. As with cooking with wine, if you wouldn’t drink it, you shouldn’t cook with it. The Guinness might even put a little extra color on the potatoes. Let us know how it turns out!

And BTW - This can be done just as easily in the oven. Simply use a covered roaster which is what I do when I'm not pulling out the outdoor DO.

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

Can you do this in a regular (not camp) dutch oven... or do I need to buy yet another piece of CI... anymore and I will be able to melt em down to make a battleship... still always looking for excuses

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Can you do this in a regular (not camp) dutch oven... or do I need to buy yet another piece of CI... anymore and I will be able to melt em down to make a battleship... still always looking for excuses

You can do it in a regular DO in your oven. Just follow the recipe with veggies first until tender, then add beer and sausage. Set your oven to 350 - 375.

The smoke sausage already has good flavor, but the beer adds that little something extra to the veggies. Truly a flavorful bite each time.

BUT......don't let me talk you out of getting a camp DO!!! :lol:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Guinness is fine. It will add a darker flavor to the veggies, so make sure you like the taste of your beer. As with cooking with wine, if you wouldn’t drink it, you shouldn’t cook with it. The Guinness might even put a little extra color on the potatoes. Let us know how it turns out!

And BTW - This can be done just as easily in the oven. Simply use a covered roaster which is what I do when I'm not pulling out the outdoor DO.

I was gonna ask the same thing, good thing I have a good roaster, LOL.
Thanks for the recipe!

chowhound

Whelp, I whipped this baby up tonight. Here's my take, in all it's honesty.

Not very appetizing looking. It looked like a boiled dinner. I was kind of hoping the potatoes might have roasted a bit, but they did not. And I'm not usually a big fan of simply "done" potatoes. BTW, I cooked this in a 360F oven and in a 3.5 qt CI DO. My times were ten minutes longer for everything.

I plated everything and took a bite of the sausage and veggies, added more salt and pepper, and retired to my computer room to keep browsing and casually eating (and drinking of course :wink:).
The more I ate the more I wanted. Point blank. This is extremely flavorful and very varied in taste due to the ingredients. Fantastic aftertaste! I can only imagine the possibilities if one were to doctor this up, but after all, it is a meal in the outdoor cooking forum and in one pot (DO). I wish I had made this in my camping days.

I am going back for seconds as soon as I hit Submit Reply :thumb:
BTW, if you read my smoked shank thread, leave 'em out. Didn't add anything that I noticed.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Whelp, I whipped this baby up tonight. Here's my take, in all it's honesty.

Not very appetizing looking. It looked like a boiled dinner. I was kind of hoping the potatoes might have roasted a bit, but they did not. And I'm not usually a big fan of simply "done" potatoes. BTW, I cooked this in a 360F oven and in a 3.5 qt CI DO. My times were ten minutes longer for everything.

I plated everything and took a bite of the sausage and veggies, added more salt and pepper, and retired to my computer room to keep browsing and casually eating (and drinking of course :wink:).
The more I ate the more I wanted. Point blank. This is extremely flavorful and very varied in taste due to the ingredients. Fantastic aftertaste! I can only imagine the possibilities if one were to doctor this up, but after all, it is a meal in the outdoor cooking forum and in one pot (DO). I wish I had made this in my camping days.

I am going back for seconds as soon as I hit Submit Reply :thumb:
BTW, if you read my smoked shank thread, leave 'em out. Didn't add anything that I noticed.

Wow, that is fantastic! I’m so glad you liked it. As you say, it is a simple and easy 1 pot meal. Perfect for DO cooking. I never thought much about how it looked, but you’re right, this basically steams the veggies, so you don’t get the roasted caramelization. It basically looks, as you say, boiled, although, in the outdoor DO, I do get a little browning on the potatoes due to the higher heat (number of coals) on the lid (greater top down heat versus bottom up heat).

I’m really pleased that you liked it, and reading all of this makes me want to make it once again!

Edited to add: Oh, to fully emulate outdoor DO cooking, try turning your oven on to Broil mid-way through. This will give you greater top down heat.

Last edited:

chowhound

Thanks for the tip, Keltin. I was thinking of trying a higher heat next time. The broiler would be perfect.
But I don't want to change it too much :^)

PanchoHambre

eating this now... agreed with Chowhound not real pretty but good. Used chipotle li'l smokies & High Life. The flavors blended well and the beer taste cooked off. I like recipes like this that involve stuff I usually have on hand and take one pot. Thanks i'm on 3rds

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm really glad you liked it. But I guess I'm gonna have to find a pretty recipe to post just to prove I can do it! :yum::yum::yum:

chowhound

To be honest, this recipe will look a whole lot better next time I make it.
Because I will know how it tastes :biggrin:

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
LOL... Cilantro would have been nice actually...

I don't cook pretty... if it looks good it was an accident:shock:

You ought to see my "Mexican Eggs". Looks like something a 2 year old made in their diaper, but damn it tastes so good. Got to post that one day....AFTER I post some pretty ones!! :yum:

Oh, oh....how's this....St Louis Style Smoked Ribs with sides??

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 274

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm something of a "country cook", but perhaps I can brush up and make something with squirts of colored sauce on rectangualr plates like on iron chef! :yum:

Gonna need tips on plating though. Someone start a thread on high-end plating. That would be cool!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Woo-Hoo. I made this last night, and it was good as usual, but this time I used 2 smoked sausages. I had lots of left overs. Try this, take those sausage medallions you cut from the sausage. Put them on an oven try. Cover with a thin layer of your favorite mustard and sprinkle with ground pepper. Broil for 10 – 12 minutes till hot. Serve on crunchy open bread or in a bun. Man that is good!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
You ought to see my "Mexican Eggs". Looks like something a 2 year old made in their diaper, but damn it tastes so good. Got to post that one day....AFTER I post some pretty ones!! :yum:

Oh, oh....how's this....St Louis Style Smoked Ribs with sides??

How is this? I licked the screen hows that?? LOL.

Only thing I would change out is the roll for a sweet potato roll. We had one in KC at the Peach Tree, it was awesome, still looking for a recipe for one like theirs, very moist and very good! Came in a cupcake form.

chowhound

I made this again last night. This time I semi-cooked about 1/2 lb of chopped bacon in the DO to start off. I took the bacon and most of the grease out and substituted bacon grease where the original recipe called for oil, so the veggies were coated in bacon grease and a little was left in the DO for cooking. Due to using the bacon grease and also having the oven set at 400F this time, it gave the veggies more of a roasted look when finished. Especially the potatoes that were in contact with the DO's surface. When I added the sausage (which I precut) and the beer, I also added the reserved chopped bacon on top of everything.
The flavor was again outstanding and the bacon added another element, so it was really outstanding :lol:
And this thread needed a pic of the finished dish :chef:

Attachments

• sausage & veggies.jpg
    sausage & veggies.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 200