S&P
2 eggs
4 thin slices bacon
1 dill pickle, cut in slivers
fine, dry bread crumbs
vegetable oil and butter
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup lite cream

Pound veal to 1/4" thickness. Soak bread in the milk and combine with onion, sausage, 1 teaspoon salt and dash of pepper. Separate 1 egg, using the white to brush over each piece of veal. Place a piece of bacon on each veal slice, spread with 1 tablespoon meat mixture, and top with a sliver of pickle. Roll and secure with small skewers or toothpicks. Beat the remaining egg yolk and egg slightly. Dip each veal bird in the egg mixture and then roll in the crumbs.
When ready to cook, heat 3 tablespoons each oil and butter in skillet and brown birds well on all sides. Add water, cover the pan and simmer 20 minutes. Remove birds to hot platter. Add cream and cook down 1 minute. Correct the seasoning and pour over birds. Serve with mashed potatoes.

You could substitute chicken breast for this, if you can't find or afford veal. This recipe came from my grandma's neighbor, back in the 30's.

buckytom

Grill Master
wow, does this sound good, connie. thanks!! copied and saved; will be making this soon.

did you know that blinds vinken translates as "blind finches"? kind of a weird name for rolled veal.

but, german dishes just seem to go with autumn, so i'll be making this soon.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This sounds like it would be very good. You have the best collection of recipes, Constance.

Constance

The recipe came from my Grandma Snarr's neighbor in the mining town where they lived when Grandpa was superintendent in the 30's, and I don't ever remember her fixing it. Even though Grandpa was second generation German himself, she was rather prejudiced against what she considered "foreign food". It was my mother who actually saved the recipe, but she never made it either.

High Cheese

Saucier
So which one of us is gonna take the plunge? lol

I'll do it and take pics.....and I wont sub the veal for chicken. :thumb:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ooooh, that would be great, Cheese. I've never made veal before, but the pickle thing sounds like it would be really good with it. (I love veal piccata.)

High Cheese

Saucier
When ready to cook, heat 3 tablespoons each oil and butter in skillet and brown birds well on all sides. Add water, cover the pan and simmer 20 minutes.

Only this part I'm confused on. Even though the water is boiling, would it still spatter? I'm guessing it would so you have to be real quick with the lid.

Maybe sub the water with white wine or stock? I think that's all I would consider tho.