2 chicken breasts
3 chicken leg quarters
1 med. onion, cut in half
2 stalks of celery, cut in 2-inch pieces, add leaves
cayenne pepper, just a pinch
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper

Add chicken, onion and celery to pot of cold water to cover. Add cayenne, chili powder, cumin salt and pepper. Slow simmer for a good hour until chicken is coming off the bone. Take chicken out to cool and shred.

For Filling:
1 can Southwest Style Pepper Jack soup (Campbells)
1 can cr. of chicken soup
1 4 oz. can green chilis
1 4 oz. can sliced black olives
cumin to taste
chili powder to taste
2 cups pepper jack cheese/Mexican blend/or your favorite

Combine all except for cheese in a large saucepan til heated through. I add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water to thin out a bit. Not too much. Add shredded chicken, chilis and 1/2 can olives. Heat through and set aside.

Enchilada Sauce
2 T. oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 beef bouilloon cube
1/2 cup hot water
2 (8oz.) cans tomato sauce
1-2 T. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
salt
1/2 cup cold water
1 T. cornstarch

In medium saucepan, heat oil and add onion and garlic, saute until soft. Dissolve the bouillon in hot water and add to onion/garlic mixture. Add tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin and salt. Mix the cold water with the cornstarch and add to the tomato mixture. Simmer until slightly thickened. Stirring occasionally.

You'll need 8-10 burrito size tortillas. Add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup enchilada sauce to bottom of 9x13 baking dish. It helps to keep enchiladas from sticking. Add about 1/4 cup chicken filling. (I add just enough so it won't leak out the sides when rolling up) I also add about a tablespoon cheese over the filling. Roll tortilla up and place in baking dish seam side down. When finished with all, cover with enchilada sauce. Bake in 375 oven, covered for about 20 minutes. Add cheese over all and add the other 1/2 can of olives. Uncovered, place back in oven to melt cheese about 5 minutes. Let set 5-10 minutes and serve.

My Notes:

The chicken filling can be made ahead and refrigerated or frozen. If you can't find the Southwest Pepper Jack soup, use 2 cans cr. of chicken and add more chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. You could also add 1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes to 1 can cheddar cheese soup. It has a slightly different taste though. You can also use leftover chicken and shred it.
I usually double the enchilada sauce. It also can be made ahead. I also freeze any leftovers to keep for another time. You can also use a can of enchilada sauce but my DS won't let me. LOL

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I will definitely be trying my hand at these. I don't think that I've ever seen the Southwest Pepper Jack soup at Wal-Mart, but maybe Kroger's will have it. Thank you! :flowers:

homecook

You're so welcome!!

The only places I can find it here are the Dollar stores or Big Lots. If you can't find the soup use the crm of chicken and add the spices......it's still good!

homecook

Geesh, I guess it would have helped to post the pictures.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 171

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
WOW!!!! That looks INCREDIBLE, Barb!

Thanks for sticking with it and retyping all that. And for the photos, too!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've got to go to the store tomorrow so I'm gonna be on the lookout for that soup.

homecook

Mama, if you can't find that soup, I found another one that's really good. It's a new one Campbells' came out with Fiesta Nacho Cheese. I mixed it with the Cr. of chicken and it's really good!