Best tuna fish salad

Gramps

Just found this website and decided to join so I could ask a few questions of the experts. My first questions are about good old-fashioned tuna fish salad. Please pardon me if I should know more for my advanced age, but I don't.

First question is: How long is tuna fish good in the can? At what point does it start to lose flavor and at what point should I just throw it out?

Second, more important question is: What is the very best recipe for a no-nonsense, mainstream, pleases almost everyone tuna fish salad for sandwiches. I can't put egg in it so please don't go there. All other options are on the table.

Thanks in advance,
Tom (Gramps)

chowhound

Tuna fish, mayo, salt, pepper, celery or celery salt. Onion is optional.
That's my recipe that mom used to make, though I don't know how mainstream it is.

homecook

That's my recipe that mom used to make, though I don't know how mainstream it is.

Mine is basically the same except..........I use Miracle Whip. lol and I always add onion.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Mine is also about the same as chowhounds and homecooks. I do add a hard boiled egg to mine though but it can be left out as that is just a matter of personal taste I guess or a diet problem. I also use Miracle Whip usually and sometimes add a bit of sweet relish to it though don't use celery salt. I also buy canned tuna in the oil and not water but really don't know what the shelf life on canned goods are as mine is never in the pantry for more than a week or two.

Some other things that could be added are:

roasted red peppers
olives (your favorite type or combo)
sun ripened tomatoes
capers
use a vinegarette in stead of mayo or your favorite salad dressing.

urmaniac46

Tuna that comes in a can lasts a long time, usually a few years without losing its quality. It should have an expiration date if you look carefully, and just go by it.

Mayonnaise contains eggs so it should be left out. My favourite combination doesn't use any anyway, I like to mix chopped olives (black or green depends on your taste, I like sweet green), capers, flat leaved parsley, shallot and drizzle good quality extra vergine olive oil, splash of lime or lemon juice, and just a pinch of cayenne pepper.
I use natural version in brine, not preserved in oil. The quality of oil used in packing tuna is not very good, it is better to add your own oil while making your salad. Also the fillet chunks are much better tasting in flavour and texture than "flakes".

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The best tuna in a can you can get comes from Italy in my opinion in that it has very large chunks with good olive oil. The best tuna is to buy a small steak, cook it and allow it to cool then make a salad.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Welcome Gramps! :wave:

I think chowhoud nailed it, except it does need to have real celery and a little onion :mrgreen:. I do eggs too, but I understand leaving them out because of the cholesterol thing. Sometimes I just mix it up and eat it on saltine crackers.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i make it the same way!! usually fresh celery and onion. yummy

Last edited:

chowhound

Tuna that comes in a can lasts a long time, usually a few years without losing its quality. It should have an expiration date if you look carefully, and just go by it.

Mayonnaise contains eggs so it should be left out. My favourite combination doesn't use any anyway, I like to mix chopped olives (black or green depends on your taste, I like sweet green), capers, flat leaved parsley, shallot and drizzle good quality extra vergine olive oil, splash of lime or lemon juice, and just a pinch of cayenne pepper.
I use natural version in brine, not preserved in oil. The quality of oil used in packing tuna is not very good, it is better to add your own oil while making your salad. Also the fillet chunks are much better tasting in flavour and texture than "flakes".

What do you mean by this? It should be left out because it contains eggs? I'm not following you. That doesn't sound very mainstream, like the OP asked for. Doesn't most tuna salads use mayonnaise? :mellow:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
What do you mean by this? It should be left out because it contains eggs? I'm not following you. That doesn't sound very mainstream, like the OP asked for. Doesn't most tuna salads use mayonnaise? :mellow:

Ah chowhound, urmaniac46 isn't in the states he/she is in Rome, Italy where food such as canned tuna is quite different there.

chowhound

Ah chowhound, urmaniac46 isn't in the states he/she is in Rome, Italy where food such as canned tuna is quite different there.

Interesting. To say to (definitely) leave something out... their tuna fish must be different. Does it already contain chicken eggs or mayo in some form? I just don't get the instructions as written. Why do you definitely have to do something when cooking?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Interesting. To say to (definitely) leave something out... their tuna fish must be different. Does it already contain chicken eggs or mayo in some form? I just don't get the instructions as written. Why do you definitely have to do something when cooking?
i think what she was commenting on was the OP said to omit eggs and as mayo is made with eggs than it should be left out. i could never do that as i detest miracle whip, i think it's a miracle anyone eats it!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Their tuna is better to me than the canned stuff we get here, especially the brined ones. As I said it is larger chunks with more flavor over all. It is imported though I've not seen it anywhere but in Florida and New York but I'm sure it can be purchased other places, perhaps Whole Foods though I've never looked.

Now Mayo and eggs are rarely used in their version of a tuna salad at least the few I had while there. Oh and it is a bit different depending on where you get it in Italy for example Rome's version will be a bit different than say Naples or even Florence. Italian food is really regional.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
YAY!!! Another Beantown member!

Welcome, Gramps!

How 'bout them Sox???? LOL!

Lee

Gramps

Wow! What a response. Thanks to all who contributed their recipes and thoughts and welcomes. I should have explained a few things better in my post above. I will do so now.

I am really looking for two distinct recipes: One that doesn't need any fresh or refrigerated food other than the bread, roll, bagel or similar. No eggs or fresh anything in that recipe and nothing that requires refrigeration prior to opening. Only things that can be stored longterm for this "campers" tuna salad recipe. Still, I'd like it to taste as good as possible under those crude circumstances.

For the second recipe, no such restrictions. Basically, anything goes. I'd like to come as close as possible to duplicating the super premium "homemade" tuna salad I get in a high-end deli run by some nice Italian ladies... who absolutely refuse to give up the deli's secret recipe. All they will tell me that's truly useful is that it does not include eggs (although I'm not 100% sure that I believe them). The more I try to duplicate that outstanding flavor and texture, the farther away I get.

Thanks again,
Tom

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You can get mayo in plastic bags that doesn't need refrigeration at all that I can tell. I see it all the time in the 7-11 type places around the country. A vinaigrette also doesn't need refrigeration or even some store bought brands such as Good Seasons. Olive oil and vinegar don't either. A stalk of celery or and onion doesn't need refrigeration either. The same would be true for salt, pepper or any other spice you might wish to use. Now that should handle your camping version.

Now as for your deli version without tasting it I couldn't tell you how they do it. I might be able to tell you if I ate one but not likely I will.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Welcome, Gramps! I camp and fish a lot, and I either make my tuna salad on the spot and eat it when setup in a camp situation, or I buy the cans of ready made tuna salad and eat it on crackers when fishing all day and carrying a daypack. I also buy chicken salad premade for pack trips. This way I don't have to be concerned with spoilage or intestinal distress while on stream.

At home I like to use chunk tuna packed in water (drained off), then mix with mayo or Miracle whip (I have a non-discriminating palette), sweet pickle relish, diced sweet onion, finely sliced celery or celery seed if I'm out of fresh celery. Put it on whole wheat toast with lettuce and tomato, then season with salt & pepper. Sometimes I'll add a slice of American cheese, and always have a side of potato chips and a Pepsi (No Coke).

This is the same recipe I use when making chicken salad from the chicken I use to make soup or stock.

Gramps

You can get mayo in plastic bags that doesn't need refrigeration at all that I can tell. I see it all the time in the 7-11 type places around the country. A vinaigrette also doesn't need refrigeration or even some store bought brands such as Good Seasons. Olive oil and vinegar don't either. A stalk of celery or and onion doesn't need refrigeration either. The same would be true for salt, pepper or any other spice you might wish to use. Now that should handle your camping version.

Now as for your deli version without tasting it I couldn't tell you how they do it. I might be able to tell you if I ate one but not likely I will.
I understand about using small individual serving packaged condiments as the way around refrigeration... but fresh celery and onion are out. Think only longterm pantry storable items for recipe one. Certainly doesn't mean it will always play out that way, but that's the "default" situation I'm trying to cover.

I know I am asking for the impossible for recipe two. I wish I were better with my spice and flavor detecting skills, but I ain't. So instead the best I can do is ask for the very best recipes of the experts here. I intend to try them all and vary the ingredients until I get close. Perhaps, I will even end up with a better recipe than that deli! :wink:

Thanks,
Tom

Gramps

Welcome, Gramps! I camp and fish a lot, and I either make my tuna salad on the spot and eat it when setup in a camp situation, or I buy the cans of ready made tuna salad and eat it on crackers when fishing all day and carrying a daypack. I also buy chicken salad premade for pack trips. This way I don't have to be concerned with spoilage or intestinal distress while on stream.

At home I like to use chunk tuna packed in water (drained off), then mix with mayo or Miracle whip (I have a non-discriminating palette), sweet pickle relish, diced sweet onion, finely sliced celery or celery seed if I'm out of fresh celery. Put it on whole wheat toast with lettuce and tomato, then season with salt & pepper. Sometimes I'll add a slice of American cheese, and always have a side of potato chips and a Pepsi (No Coke).

This is the same recipe I use when making chicken salad from the chicken I use to make soup or stock.
Sounds like you've got it down to a science. I have used the canned (already prepared) tuna salad in the past with "mixed" results. Frankly, I am hoping to do somewhat better even under crude "field" conditions.

At home, I always eat my tuna salad sandwiches with thick slices of tomato and made with toasted English muffins. Just a habit I have developed that I can't seem to break! :chef:

Thanks again,
Tom

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I understand about using small individual serving packaged condiments as the way around refrigeration... but fresh celery and onion are out. Think only longterm pantry storable items for recipe one. Certainly doesn't mean it will always play out that way, but that's the "default" situation I'm trying to cover.
Celery seed is almost as good as fresh celery, as long as it has not sat in the cupboard for too long. If you like onions, get the freeze dried onion chips and rehydrate them with a little water. Same with the garlic. Both are available in jars in the seasonings section of your grocery. If you have a dehydrator you can make your own dried celery, onions, garlic and tomatoes. A little water and your back in business. You can make your own jerky with this unit as well.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Sounds like you've got it down to a science. I have used the canned (already prepared) tuna salad in the past with "mixed" results. Frankly, I am hoping to do somewhat better even under crude "field" conditions.
Eating poorly while in the field is a personal choice. I just came back from 5 days on the Au Sable River in Michigan, and made homemade English Muffins on a Coleman stove in a cast iron pan.

P1010845.jpg

We then turned them into Eggs Benedict, which most campers don't see while in the field.

P1010849.jpg

With a little pre-planning, there's a lot of delicious meals that can be made in a camp situation. I even made Blintz's for the guys one morning with cottage cheese, blackberry preserves and sour cream topping...

P1010852.jpg

P1010853.jpg

I have had the benefit of being taught gourmet camp cooking by a bunch of Boy Scout Leaders who hate hot dogs and marshmallows for dinner. After all, their moto is "Be Prepared." LOL

Gramps

Celery seed is almost as good as fresh celery, as long as it has not sat in the cupboard for too long. If you like onions, get the freeze dried onion chips and rehydrate them with a little water. Same with the garlic. Both are available in jars in the seasonings section of your grocery. If you have a dehydrator you can make your own dried celery, onions, garlic and tomatoes. A little water and your back in business. You can make your own jerky with this unit as well.
All great ideas. :thumb: Looks like I am headed to the grocery store tomorrow morning with a long list of new things to try. :smile:

Thanks to all,
Tom

Gramps

Eating poorly while in the field is a personal choice. I just came back from 5 days on the Au Sable River in Michigan, and made homemade English Muffins on a Coleman stove in a cast iron pan.

We then turned them into Eggs Benedict, which most campers don't see while in the field.

With a little pre-planning, there's a lot of delicious meals that can be made in a camp situation. I even made Blintz's for the guys one morning with cottage cheese, blackberry preserves and sour cream topping...

I have had the benefit of being taught gourmet camp cooking by a bunch of Boy Scout Leaders who hate hot dogs and marshmallows for dinner. After all, their moto is "Be Prepared." LOL
I think I must be giving off the wrong impression here about my camping weekends. The "camp" recipe ideas I'm seeking here are not my steady diet by a long shot. Think of this as stored emergency food and you will be a lot closer to the truth. :tiphat:

Take care,
Tom

FryBoy

The first ingredient should be GOOD tuna. Don't waste your money on the cheap stuff, go for the solid white albacore, either in water if you want to save calories and fat, or oil if you don't care so much about that and like the somewhat more intense flavor of the fish. Bumble Bee is a good brand, in my experience.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
The first ingredient should be GOOD tuna. Don't waste your money on the cheap stuff, go for the solid white albacore, either in water if you want to save calories and fat, or oil if you don't care so much about that and like the somewhat more intense flavor of the fish. Bumble Bee is a good brand, in my experience.
i only use solid white albacore in WATER only, in oil tastes to heavy and strong for me.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Gramps- I couldn't find a place to say Welcome to NCT. So I will just say it here.
Not relevant- But I love Creamed Tuna on Toast.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I think I must be giving off the wrong impression here about my camping weekends. The "camp" recipe ideas I'm seeking here are not my steady diet by a long shot. Think of this as stored emergency food and you will be a lot closer to the truth. :tiphat:

Take care,
Tom

Ahhhhhhhh, now I understand. it's a survivalist thingy, not a camping thingy. I guess it's important to start looking up different tasty grubs and worms and edible plants. Mea culpa. There's really no need to be cryptic here. We've heard it all and will not pass judgement, and frankness will help us to better answer your questions.

chowhound

i think what she was commenting on was the OP said to omit eggs and as mayo is made with eggs than it should be left out. i could never do that as i detest miracle whip, i think it's a miracle anyone eats it!!

Ahh, that I understand then. Like maybe they are allergic to eggs, so you would have to leave real mayo out. Thanks.